Black Raspberry

Fruit Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From The Republic of Tea

The black raspberry is neither a blackberry nor a raspberry but has similar sweet, earthy flavors. This dark fruit tops the berry list with its high antioxidant levels. They are packed with anthocyanins, ellagic and ferulic acids – natural compounds that can act as an anti-carcinogens and fight free radicals. Sip your way to good health with this green tea blend.

About The Republic of Tea View company

The smell of the wet leaf (bag?) is of sweet strong berries. It smells like my favorite all fruit raspberry jam. Delicious. I hope the taste with the green tea is just as strong in flavor as it smells. I could sniff this all evening!

When slurped I get a bright berry forefront with a green tea calm as an aftertaste. It’s sweet without sugar. When sipped slowly it is a little less flavorful upfront, but still quite fruity. RoT greens don’t usually Pop me in the face with fruit flavor, but this is doing pretty well. I may try two bags next time. I just used 1 bag for 6oz and am getting decent flavor.

ICED! :) Maybe blended w/ frozen watermelon instead of ice cubes? Sage?

Meghann M

yum…and I have watermelon. Don’t really like watermelon but am in love with it this year. Weird how tastes change. Freezing some tonight! Tea smoothie/freezie tomorrow!

i sooo gotta start exploring the iced tea world…

RoT acai berry is really nice and fruity, too. Haven’t tried any iced yet this summer, but now that I mention it…

Meghann M

May have to try their acai if the little coffee house I found carries it. I was impressed to find RoT in my town, usually have to drive 2 hours to whole foods to get it (Rishi is there to so makes it worth the drive once or twice a year).

lol! Yeah so doesn’t pay to order from Rishi online (I think i’m approx. just as far north from Rishi as you are south).

This is one of my favorite fruit-flavored greens, and my favorite blend from Republic of Tea. I’ve been drinking it for a few years but haven’t attempted to review it until just now. I’m struggling to put the flavor into words – I don’t know that I’ve ever actually tasted a black raspberry, so I can’t say how this tea measures up on that front. I can say that it’s almost more floral than fruity, in the way that fresh red raspberries sometimes are. It’s deep, but also delicate. It’s very, very slightly sweet; there’s no tartness whatsoever. The tea base is, thankfully, not at all vegetal; when slightly over-steeped it develops a faint hint of smokiness that complements the black raspberry flavoring surprisingly well.

I went through a big RoT phase several years back and tried most of their fruity green offerings. This was, by far, my favorite. Many of their flavors were disappointingly weak and/or loaded with hibiscus (which I don’t actually dislike as an ingredient; I just find it a poor stand-in for raspberry or pomegranate or whatever else – it only ever really tastes like itself, I think).

I’ve only ever had this one iced (brewed hot, then chilled), as that’s how I tend to prefer most fruit-flavored greens. Now that I’m thinking of it, this also seems like a good candidate for cold-steeping…

The dry leaf and the brew of this tea both smell very strongly of berries – especially the brewed tea itself. However, it’s kind of a “fake” berry smell, and that translated over into the taste.

I think this was okay if you’re just getting started into flavoured teas. I have one bag left of this to try, but I’ll send it along in a swap to Jude.

Many thanks to darby for sending me a sample of this.

Unsure how to rate this. I have made it 3 or 4 different times, and each time I primarily just taste warm water with a hint of green tea, and a bitter earth flavor that I can only assume are the berries. Odd, since the ingredients state this blend does have blueberries in it, which should have added some sweetness? I steeped it a bit longer than it called for, still not much difference in the results. Maybe it’s just not for me.