British Breakfast

Edit tea info Last updated by mattgrayson

• “Backlogging this morning's tea. I didn't have quiet enough to make as much as I needed so I topped it off with ROT's Vanilla Almond. Just a tiny amount, but it really made a difference. I...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “(loose leaf, not bag, bought from the bulk dry goods canisters, not in a retail tin) Usually I keep this around for hot toddies, iced tea with lemon and sugar, or head colds that need lemon and...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 323 tasting notes
  • “1st cup this morning finishing up sample tin. Not bad, but I'm currently enjoying my second cup from a whole leaf tea bag which is clearly superior. The more I choose tea over coffee in the...” Read full tasting note
    rabbysmom 92 tasting notes
  • “Another sipdown! (132) Now that I know a little more about tea I smell mostly Ceylon in this. I like the smell of Ceylon, so it's not a bad thing. This one is pretty boring. I think I've said this...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 408 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

The Perfect Cuppa A robust blend of quality black leaves, hearty enough to make any Brit smile. A savory mixture of China, India, Ceylon and Kenya leaves is great with a splash of milk.

About The Republic of Tea View company

This tea wasn’t bad. I can’t say anything I didn’t like about it in particular. The only problem I do have with it is that it’s very, very ordinary. It’s like the base taste of a tea without any of the excitement. Which is exactly what it’s suppose to be! Original black tea. Judging it on that and not on flavor blend, I’d say this is a good one. If I’m ever looking for plain black tea I won’t hesitate to look here. But will I brew this tea for breakfast? Probably not – I’ll save that space for a more exciting blend.

I was hopeful but a bit skeptical when I bought this. I’ve enjoyed RoT teas before. But the design of the tin didn’t exactly say “English Breakfast” to me. And when I opened the tin, I noticed the tiny unbleached circular bags. That was my first impression: tiny! And so I wasn’t especially surprised that this brewed a pretty weak cup. They barely put any tea in the bags to begin with. Wasn’t especially impressed with the flavor either — I’d prefer a Twinings or PG Tips or TyPhoo or Tetley to this one every time. It wasn’t awful… I just felt like I would need 2-3 bags to make a decent cup, and even then it would never be an outstanding tea for me. (But don’t get me wrong, I’ll still probably use up my tin. It just will never be my favorite English Breakfast tea.)

Good, but not overly exciting…I guess I am partial to other British Breakfasts, there was nothing wrong with this, just more to like in others I have tried.

I thought this was awful. The flavor is very bitter without much of “the leaf”. There are many British Breakfast blends far better than this one, at half the price asked.

This is actually pretty good for a bagged tea. Much stronger than I expected. Next time I’ll definitely steep for less time, though. Maybe four minutes is all that’s needed. This is the usual hot tea we serve where I work.

Anyway, it’s your standard black tea, ordinary, and surprisingly high in caffeine. If I was looking for a wake-up rush and was out of coffee, two bags of this would do the trick. Also, I think a lemon slice and some honey would make this glorious. I’d be happy to try the loose leaf version if the opportunity arises.

(Full leaf version)
I decided I’d give this another shot. I once thought it too dark, though this time I steeped it for just a bit, enough to get the flavor without being overpowering, and I kind of like it. The way I made it would probably be too weak for most people, but I’m used to sweet savory things. I still prefer Earl Grey, though.

This is the one that got me started on breakfast teas. A good ol’ standby.

Brews extremely fast for me, no more that two minutes for the first steep, and then it can be used again. :) Usually I prefer loose tea, but this British Breakfast blend was my savior for convenience when I was sick. I drank, and I’m not exaggerating, 20 cups of this when I was at my sickest. That’s probably not so good…but it did wonders for my sore throat.

Perfectly smooth with honey.

I had this at Panera today and it was fine. Pretty plain, simple black tea. Did fine for the circumstances, but I don’t think I’m gonna be buying a bunch for myself.

This is one of those “English breakfast” type blends that doesn’t stand up to milk. I don’t know, maybe some companies figure they’re selling to people who don’t generally add milk to tea. And I generally don’t, but when I want English Breakfast I want it strong and milky.

Once I tried it without the milk, it was a perfectly cromulent tea. Nice enough but nothing special.