Red Velvet Chocolate

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Beckara

• “Nothing like sitting in front of the computer doing analytical left-brain things all day, then coming home and spending the evening milking what's left of the other side to write creative kids'...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1691 tasting notes
  • “Er, I may have hit up a mall in a major city and gone to both DAVIDsTea and Lupicia, and come away with some tea. Oops. Well, time to work on my sipdowns. This has one more pot left in it, which I...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 828 tasting notes
  • “I have discovered the thing to do with this is just cut the teabags open and use three of them for one mug of tea. It is sweet and chocolate-y, still I am not sure I would buy this again and I wish...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2307 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from yesterday. I had this with my dinner while at Panera. At first I had my doubts about eating there but it was super convenient at the time and then I saw they carry Republic of Tea and...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1291 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Have your cake and sip it too! Indulge your sweet tooth with this healthy, caffeine-free infusion. Antioxidant-rich rooibos is blended with chocolate and beet root bits to taste just like the classic red velvet cake. The perfect cup to accompany birthdays and other celebrations.

About The Republic of Tea View company

It’s a nice tea but I just love red velvet so much that my expectations were really high. I agree with some one else who said maybe if there was a cream cheese frosting creamer it would really taste like red velvet. It tastes more chocolate than anything. The color steep a really nice red. It’s enjoyable but each time the smell does not match what I think it will taste like.

I’m an elementary school teacher, so I have some interesting mental associations with the smell of cake (think classroom parties with 25+ overly-stimulated, frosting-covered children). This tea immediately brought to mind our recent Valentine’s Day celebration and the multitude of confections I was force-fed. Not a good start for me.

I used two bags in my travel mug along with my customary milk and sugar. I was pleasantly surprised by the deep pink color the milk revealed in my dark mug. The scent was strong in my car as I drove to work – not terribly unpleasant, but persistent.

Yep. Tastes just about like red velvet cupcakes. Perhaps I’ll give it another shot this summer when my classroom associations aren’t so vivid. I finished the cup by mostly ignoring the taste. I’m glad I only have a few bags of this – I got it in a Republic of Tea sampler cube. Perhaps part of the problem is that it suffers in comparison to yesterday’s Coconut Cocoa, which came in the same cube.

It’s a chilly afternoon and the perfect time to enjoy this Red Velvet Chocolate tea. It’s a delicious rooibos and hebal blend that’s perfect with a dash of turbinado sugar and coconut cream. The chocolate flavor could be a bit stonger in my opinion, but perhaphs I need to let it steep a bit longer than I typically do.

Lovely scent, nice mesh of flavors.

Dry, it smells like chocolate…but not decadent chocolate…kinda like cheapy milk chocolate…but still chocolate…and to a woman on a diet I’ll give it a go. It’s the closest to dessert I’m gonna get.

Well, disappointed. It tastes like chocolate…but still kinda weak chocolate. And I can taste the beetroot. I mean seriously. It’s kinda funky. Thought maybe I could rich it up with a little milk or cream. Perhaps a bit of sugar. But it just isn’t doing it for me. I think it’s the beet. It’s too prevalent. So it tastes like chocolate covered beets. haha! Perhaps it would have done well with a different tea base instead of the rooibos.

Anyway, nothing like red velvet cake…and I know red velvet cake. I’m a baker from the south after all.

I’m hopeful for some of their other cuppa chocolate blends. I would really like to find an excellent chocolate tea.

Bedtime/throat-soothing tea. Does the trick. But god, I can’t imagine drinking this without double bagging it.

On my first cup I made the mistake of using only one teabag and steeping for only 5 minutes and the result was terrible. For some reason that artificial chocolatey taste was super noticeable in that brew. However I did give it another go tonight and this time used 2 bags and steeped for double the time and it came out much much better. Still by no means a favorite but enjoyable enough to not make me regret buying the tin.

8 min or more

Red velvet cake is my favorite dessert, so when I saw this today at Whole Foods I had to buy the tin! I was a little hesitant because I haven’t always loved rooibos in the past, but – red velvet! in tea form! I am usually pleased with Republic of Teas, and they did not let me down.

I don’t think the tea smells overwhelmingly like cake, but the taste comes out after brewing. I cut open the teabags and used my infuser. I like large cups, and find I need 2 teabags from most of their teas. I steeped for 5 minutes, and I think it could even have gone a little longer.

The color is beautiful. After adding a splash of milk (1%) it did turn a slightly odd looking pink color. The taste is very smooth. I can taste vanilla, with a slight tang like cream cheese frosting. The chocolate taste is light (but that’s ok, because I find it light in the cake too!) There is a slight citrus flavor in the background. I finished my cup and had to hold myself back from immediately making more!

I think I’m going to have to give Rooibos teas another try. I always thought I disliked them, but I’ve recently realized that I actually dislike the hibiscus that was in the rooibos I had before!

This was another tea that somehow followed me home from vacation. I was so excited to find this at Central Market and not have to pay shipping. Made both myself and my husband a cup with two bags (12 oz mugs), he took his straight, I added a bit of splenda. At times I got the red velvet taste from it, other times less so, but either way, it was yummy and smooth.

Thank you Ost! I am enjoying this tea as I sit inside watching a classic Doctor Who (Pyramid of Mars) on a rainy afternoon. What a lovely cuppa! The cup of tea is a lovely red full of promise and fun. It has a nice red velvet flavor but I’m not getting the frosting which is one of my favorite parts. Altogether, a nice tea which I will pick up and keep in my cupboard!

Ost

Yeah, I wish it had been more sweet too!

Lariel

That is a great Doctor Who episode.