Red Velvet Chocolate

Rooibos Tea
Chocolate, Cake, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Beckara

• “Nothing like sitting in front of the computer doing analytical left-brain things all day, then coming home and spending the evening milking what’s left of the other side to write creative...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1854 tasting notes
  • “Er, I may have hit up a mall in a major city and gone to both DAVIDsTea and Lupicia, and come away with some tea. Oops. Well, time to work on my sipdowns. This has one more pot left in it, which I...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1318 tasting notes
  • “I have discovered the thing to do with this is just cut the teabags open and use three of them for one mug of tea. It is sweet and chocolate-y, still I am not sure I would buy this again and I wish...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2784 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from yesterday. I had this with my dinner while at Panera. At first I had my doubts about eating there but it was super convenient at the time and then I saw they carry Republic of Tea and...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1448 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Have your cake and sip it too! Indulge your sweet tooth with this healthy, caffeine-free infusion. Antioxidant-rich rooibos is blended with chocolate and beet root bits to taste just like the classic red velvet cake. The perfect cup to accompany birthdays and other celebrations.

About The Republic of Tea View company

This is a perfectly acceptable chocolate rooibos blend. Not spectacular in the slightest, but not horrible either. I stepped for 10 minutes, added a touch of honey, and vaguely enjoyed the light chocolate flavor as I did computer work this afternoon.
I would label this with the “meh” tag. I definitely would not purchase, but it is fine to hold me over till I can brew up a nice loose leaf when I get home.

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Cooking TTB

Finishing up my quest with the Cooking TTB and yep, I’m still not a fan of red rooibos. I love green rooibos but the red rooibos just has that medicinal flavor that is hard to look beyond, even with the yummy chocolate cake notes that are coming thru. I know a lot of people love it and I’ll keep trying it, but this one just isn’t for me. Glad I was able to try it. On to the next one!

Flavors: Cake, Chocolate

rosebudmelissa

I totally agree with you. I like green rooibos and honeybush, but can’t stand red rooibos.

Tastes good, just, not really like what I imagined. They did a great job, really. I guess I was just hoping for something a bit lighter. Quite full bodied.

Flavors: Cake, Chocolate

Had this for the second time today and really enjoyed it! Last time I made it with sugar only, and it was okay, but nothing I’d rave about. This time I added milk and sugar, and while I don’t really taste the chocolate it does have a bit of a cakey flavor, and I really liked it with the milk!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 6 OZ / 177 ML

Pass the Stash TTB #11

I had been intrigued by various red velvet rooibos teas but never enough to buy it. So I was happy to try this in the TTB. Sadly I found it rather weak. I saw someone else who reviewed it used three bags per cup which seems like the flavor would be better – but honestly, if you make single-serve bags, flavor the things well enough that one bag is sufficient.

I get dark chocolate, but I wish it was stronger. Mainly, I get the sugar I added to the tea to get any flavor other than rooibos.

Glad I tried it, though I doubt I’ll ever buy any myself.

I’ve almost finished my canister of this tea so I decided it might be a good idea to review it. I used two tea bags in a 12 oz mug, added a touch of sweetener and a splash of Half & Half. It smells . . . how would Homer Simpson say it – garrrr droooll!

Let me start by saying I consider myself a complete amateur at both tea reviewing and drinking. I know what I like and I like this. I found it to have a deep chocolate flavor with a hint of something else (not sure how I would describe it other than as “red”). I’m guessing that might be the beetroot or maybe it’s the flavor of the rooibos itself (I’ve never had it in anything else).

Never having had true Red Velvet Cake (only a Crumbs cupcake – not impressed) I can’t compare the flavors in this tea to the original cake. What I can say is that I really like this tea. I find it rich and sweet (but not tooth-achingly sweet like another version I’ve tasted) and very enjoyable. I will definitely be restocking on this.

The only disappointment I have in this tea is that it is not available loose. I wish it was not limited to tea bags. Unleash the tea!!! ;D

Flavors: Dark Chocolate

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Thank you Ost! I am enjoying this tea as I sit inside watching a classic Doctor Who (Pyramid of Mars) on a rainy afternoon. What a lovely cuppa! The cup of tea is a lovely red full of promise and fun. It has a nice red velvet flavor but I’m not getting the frosting which is one of my favorite parts. Altogether, a nice tea which I will pick up and keep in my cupboard!

Ost

Yeah, I wish it had been more sweet too!

Lariel of Lórien

That is a great Doctor Who episode.

I am thinking rooibos may not be for me.
The chocolate in this is not rich…so flat and just blech…
Sickeningly sweet… I added the recommended splash of milk
And it made it just tolerable

8 OZ / 236 ML

Today involved all kinds of chores for me, so I’ve decided the end of the day is reserved for hot tea and ’80s movies. Few things are more comforting to me than dessert, so here we are.

Made this a little hotter than usual, and what a difference! Much more pronounced chocolate taste than before. A delicious way to calm down after a stressful day and probably better for me than actual red velvet cake.

Mmmm… this is good!

Nice chocolate flavour, interesting other taste-hints (bit of tang or tart), and the rooibos is nicely in the background. I would buy this one. Thanks, Starfevre!

Steeped for 8 minutes, added sugar and milk.

Boiling 8 min or more