Coconut Pu-erh

Black Fruit Pu-erh Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by

• “The stores where I live carry a very limited and standard selection of loose leaf teas (e.g., basic green, jasmine, english breakfast). So, if I want to branch out into more exciting blends, I have...” Read full tasting note
    Stoo 152 tasting notes
  • “The first time I made this tea, I found the pu-erh flavor was too strong and I couldn't taste the coconut. There was an overwhelming bitterness. This time, I tried steeping for a shorter time (2...” Read full tasting note
    VegTea 190 tasting notes
  • “I have mixed feelings about this tea. I do love the balance between the earthiness of the pu-erh and the coconut flavor. I also enjoyed the creaminess of the tea but it was a bit too sweet for me,...” Read full tasting note
    lilianalmd 5 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I tried this tea before I joined Steepster. I won't be trying it again. I love ripe pu-erhs, though I've had some bad ones. However, it was the coconut that insulted me in this one. I...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 471 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Better with Age Tea High-moisture leaves are harvested in the Yunnan, China. A special oxidation and aging process yields an earthy flavor and aroma that is unique among black teas. This tea is enhanced with real coconut flakes resulting in a slightly sweet, fruity cup with a pleasant, smoky character. Can be infused many times.

About The Republic of Tea View company

The stores where I live carry a very limited and standard selection of loose leaf teas (e.g., basic green, jasmine, english breakfast). So, if I want to branch out into more exciting blends, I have to order them on-line or take out a loan at the local Teavana store. The Republic of Tea on-line collection has some of the most imaginative flavors around at reasonable prices. The Coconut Pu-erh tea sounded like it was right up my alley- bold, black, and sweet- all of my favorite attributes.

I steeped this tea at 212 degrees for five minutes. While brewing, the scent that filled the kitchen was like an Almond Joy bar. It made me concentrate to try to will the tea maker to process faster.

Sometimes the teas smell great and sweet but the flavor is flat and expressionless. Not so with this little gem! The flavor is exactly as advertised by the aroma. It is sweet and wonderful, more like a dessert tea than a breakfast stimulator. The usually dominant pu-erh taste follows merrily behind the sweet coconut flavor leader. The color is like dark mahogany.

This tea would be fantastic to sip at all times during the day. For me it had the double benefit of waking me up and satisfying my sweet tooth. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I have already added this selection to my “Don’t Run Out!!!” list.

The first time I made this tea, I found the pu-erh flavor was too strong and I couldn’t taste the coconut. There was an overwhelming bitterness. This time, I tried steeping for a shorter time (2 and a half minutes), and result is much more enjoyable. The earthy pu-erh is balanced by the subtle sweetness of the coconut. The flavors come through best after the tea has cooled a bit, and I suspect this would make a great iced tea.

I have mixed feelings about this tea. I do love the balance between the earthiness of the pu-erh and the coconut flavor. I also enjoyed the creaminess of the tea but it was a bit too sweet for me, more of a dessert tea. Would definitely recommend for those that like sweet teas.

Backlog:

I tried this tea before I joined Steepster. I won’t be trying it again. I love ripe pu-erhs, though I’ve had some bad ones. However, it was the coconut that insulted me in this one. I just don’t get it though: I love coconut on my my cakes and pastries and in candy bars and chocolates, but liquid coconut flavor does not agree with me. I had another coconut tea that, while somewhat more tolerable than this one, was still not to my liking

The first sip of this tea tastes like pu-erh, The coconut is more of an aftertaste, so I thought I liked it at first. After 4 or 5 sips, however, I realized the nasty left over flavor and felt sick to my stomach. I drank a whole bunch of water and brewed a favorite blend right away to cure me.

Incidentally, my husband likes this tea. He doesn’t drink a lot of tea and he refuses to try plain Puerh because of the smell, but he liked this one.

Delicious. I find that the steepings of this tea are limited. 3-4 steepings tops.

This tea is mostly pu-erh tasting, with a slight hint of coconut. It is a much lower intensity of flavor than I am used to in flavored teas, but it is nice. The pu-erh has an almost ricey starch like taste to it. Over all, I’d say it was okay if I wanted something a little more subtle and earthy, but I don’t think that is what I’m in the mood for at the moment.

Nice tea – but the coconut flavor is difficult to taste. I prefer to drink this one sweetened.

Does not re-steep well.

A lovely Chinese aroma, with a gooey texture. Strangely subtle for a pu-erh. Next time I’ll try doubling the recipe.