Coconut Pu-erh

Coconut, Natural Coconut Flavor
Chocolate, Coconut, Cream, Milk, Wood, Smoke
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “The stores where I live carry a very limited and standard selection of loose leaf teas (e.g., basic green, jasmine, english breakfast). So, if I want to branch out into more exciting blends, I have...” Read full tasting note
    Stoo 169 tasting notes
  • “The first time I made this tea, I found the pu-erh flavor was too strong and I couldn’t taste the coconut. There was an overwhelming bitterness. This time, I tried steeping for a shorter time...” Read full tasting note
    VegTea 190 tasting notes
  • “I have mixed feelings about this tea. I do love the balance between the earthiness of the pu-erh and the coconut flavor. I also enjoyed the creaminess of the tea but it was a bit too sweet for me,...” Read full tasting note
    lilianalmd 5 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I tried this tea before I joined Steepster. I won’t be trying it again. I love ripe pu-erhs, though I’ve had some bad ones. However, it was the coconut that insulted me in this...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 495 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

High-moisture leaves are harvested in the Yunnan, China. A special oxidation and aging process yields an earthy flavor and aroma that is unique among black teas. This tea is enhanced with real coconut flakes resulting in a slightly sweet, fruity cup with a pleasant, smoky character. Can be infused many times.

Steeping Instructions
1. Fill the kettle with fresh, filtered water and heat to boiling.
2. Warm your teapot or steeping cup by swirling steamy water in it and then pour it out.
3. Place one teaspoon of leaves per cup into your pot or infusing basket.
4. Pour the water (6 oz per cup) over the tea leaves and infuse for three to five minutes. Experiment to find your favored steeping time.
5. Serve the tea. Avoid letting the leaves stew. Leaves can be infused multiple times. Remove the infusing basket or pour the remainder of the tea into a thermos to enjoy later.
6. Add the used tea leaves to your garden. They make a healthy fertilizer for flowering plants.

Ingredients: Finest Pu-erh black tea leaves blended with natural coconut flavor and coconut pieces

About The Republic of Tea View company

The stores where I live carry a very limited and standard selection of loose leaf teas (e.g., basic green, jasmine, english breakfast). So, if I want to branch out into more exciting blends, I have to order them on-line or take out a loan at the local Teavana store. The Republic of Tea on-line collection has some of the most imaginative flavors around at reasonable prices. The Coconut Pu-erh tea sounded like it was right up my alley- bold, black, and sweet- all of my favorite attributes.

I steeped this tea at 212 degrees for five minutes. While brewing, the scent that filled the kitchen was like an Almond Joy bar. It made me concentrate to try to will the tea maker to process faster.

Sometimes the teas smell great and sweet but the flavor is flat and expressionless. Not so with this little gem! The flavor is exactly as advertised by the aroma. It is sweet and wonderful, more like a dessert tea than a breakfast stimulator. The usually dominant pu-erh taste follows merrily behind the sweet coconut flavor leader. The color is like dark mahogany.

This tea would be fantastic to sip at all times during the day. For me it had the double benefit of waking me up and satisfying my sweet tooth. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I have already added this selection to my “Don’t Run Out!!!” list.

The first time I made this tea, I found the pu-erh flavor was too strong and I couldn’t taste the coconut. There was an overwhelming bitterness. This time, I tried steeping for a shorter time (2 and a half minutes), and result is much more enjoyable. The earthy pu-erh is balanced by the subtle sweetness of the coconut. The flavors come through best after the tea has cooled a bit, and I suspect this would make a great iced tea.

I have mixed feelings about this tea. I do love the balance between the earthiness of the pu-erh and the coconut flavor. I also enjoyed the creaminess of the tea but it was a bit too sweet for me, more of a dessert tea. Would definitely recommend for those that like sweet teas.

Backlog:

I tried this tea before I joined Steepster. I won’t be trying it again. I love ripe pu-erhs, though I’ve had some bad ones. However, it was the coconut that insulted me in this one. I just don’t get it though: I love coconut on my my cakes and pastries and in candy bars and chocolates, but liquid coconut flavor does not agree with me. I had another coconut tea that, while somewhat more tolerable than this one, was still not to my liking

The first sip of this tea tastes like pu-erh, The coconut is more of an aftertaste, so I thought I liked it at first. After 4 or 5 sips, however, I realized the nasty left over flavor and felt sick to my stomach. I drank a whole bunch of water and brewed a favorite blend right away to cure me.

Incidentally, my husband likes this tea. He doesn’t drink a lot of tea and he refuses to try plain Puerh because of the smell, but he liked this one.

Delicious. I find that the steepings of this tea are limited. 3-4 steepings tops.

Happy Iced Tea Day!!! I brewed this up to sit outside and enjoy the last rays of sunshine. This was delicious! The coconut goes well with the woody chocolate tones of the puerh. It almost brings out a vanilla flavor to it. I’m not sure how well this would be hot. Im really not a hot flavored tea kind of guy. This was amazing iced though. It hit the spot for an outside sweet brew. I may have been late to celebrating today, but I made it just in time!

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut, Cream, Milk, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m really glad I got the chance to try this before buying a tin because I was expecting to like it more. When I first started getting into loose leaf tea, I gravitated towards coconut teas like nobody’s business. However, I’m starting to think that I much prefer them cold if at all. This was pretty good, but I can imagine many other pu-erh flavors I’d rather be having hot. This isn’t quite coconutty enough to be satisfying in summer either, though (I think). Thanks for the chance to try it, Inkling!

Flavors: Coconut

This is my very first Pu-erh tea and I absolutely love it! The coconut is strong and bold, but there’s also a rich, warm flavor here that’s hard to describe: it’s almost like a combination of chocolate and woodsmoke (which sounds disgusting, but actually tastes delicious!) This is one of the most flavorful teas I’ve ever had; it’s a whole-mouth flavor that lingers after you’ve finished your cup. I foresee this becoming a staple in my tea cupboard!

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut, Smoke, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I last reviewed this tea maybe 8 months ago. I enjoyed it then, I enjoy it now. I’ll skip the flowery language this time. It’s sweet, earthy, and rich with just a hint of coconut floral. I don’t want to rate this tea, as it’s my only puer ever and I’m sure better puer exists, but from the standpoint of someone who is used to grocery store black tea, I’m loving this.

This tea is mostly pu-erh tasting, with a slight hint of coconut. It is a much lower intensity of flavor than I am used to in flavored teas, but it is nice. The pu-erh has an almost ricey starch like taste to it. Over all, I’d say it was okay if I wanted something a little more subtle and earthy, but I don’t think that is what I’m in the mood for at the moment.