Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “This tea is so tasty delicious I can't handle it. I want to make a mass pot of this chai so I can drink it non-stop throughout the day. My liquid breakfast lunch and dinner. I just finished my cup...” Read full tasting note
    lynne-tea 235 tasting notes
  • “I was in the grocery store the other day debating over what milk substitute to get. I'm mildly lactose intolerant, so for days where I drink a lot of tea with milk I need some sort of replacement....” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Mmmm... I was really craving a strongly flavored chai this morning, and this is definitely strong. I love how this is so strong and warms you all over (thank goodness it has been really cool out...” Read full tasting note
    caitlin 392 tasting notes
  • “Am I alone in thinking this tastes like licorish? Hmmm. A little weak to be a chai. Oh well, it was a free sample, and it was tasty, if weak.” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 885 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Traveler’s Tea- Rich imperial spices are combined with Northern Indian tea leaves to create a hearty, flavorful cup. Deliciously full-bodied when prepared traditionally (simmered with water, milk & honey).

About The Republic of Tea View company

This tea is so tasty delicious I can’t handle it. I want to make a mass pot of this chai so I can drink it non-stop throughout the day. My liquid breakfast lunch and dinner.
I just finished my cup and I want so much more. Too bad shipping for another tin would be $17.00. I could easily justify $5, but honestly. $17? Is it flown to me on golden unicorns or something? Sadface.

Alphakitty

This is one of my favorite chais! I am always in the mood for it.

Kittenna

Some companies’ shipping costs to Canada are absurd…

Lynne-tea

I completely agree Krystaleyn! I have no idea where they get their shipping numbers from but they’re so crazy.
And I absolutely love this chai Alphakitty! I just wish I could get some more! I maybe have 2 more cups left max.

Azzrian

LOL Golden Unicorns! :)

Fjellrev

The shipping costs have been the reason why I haven’t ordered. So insane! I feel obligated to order a few tins to justify it.

Lynne-tea

I completely agree Incendiare! Otherwise it’s astronomical the price per gram of tea if you only get 1 thing. Still, shipping is over $20 for two so I still have a hard time justifying it. Maybe when you move to Victoria we can do a shop and split the shipping! How great would that be? Then have a Chai Tea Party!
Haha and yes Azzrian they must be golden unicorns! =)

Azzrian

Indeed with diamond encrusted horns!

Fjellrev

That’s a good idea! I just did a mock order and threw in five tins and it told me that shipping was $18.25. Weird. Either way, it’ll be the cheaper way to go. I was definitely going to make a Harney & Sons order once I move so feel free to join in on that order too!

Kittenna

Oooooh, Harney & Sons…. jealous! That’s another way-too-expensive-to-justify company.

Lynne-tea

Yes Yes YES! I am so very excited for that. I have been eyeing Harney & Sons a lot and just can’t justify the shipping. Oh my I am so excited I can’t wait =)
I think the reason my shipping was more is because of the location…. Having to cross water probably boosts the price a bit. =)

I was in the grocery store the other day debating over what milk substitute to get. I’m mildly lactose intolerant, so for days where I drink a lot of tea with milk I need some sort of replacement. I really like soy milk but I wanted to try coconut or almond to see what it would be like with tea. Coconut or almond, coconut or almond… then magically, I found a carton tucked in the corner—coconut milk AND almond milk! Perfect! It’s too hot today for any warm tea and my air conditioners don’t get here till tomorrow (damn you, Memorial Day!), so it was time for something creamy and iced. I only drink a few teas iced with milk, and chai is my favorite for later in the evening, so chai it was!

This is pretty much my go-to chai for mixing. I’ve made concentrate from it (which is what I used for the iced latte), I blend it with other teas, I cook with it, etc. I don’t really use it on its own so I feel weird giving it an actual rating… the way I use it it’s a clear 100 but as a base I’m just unsure what to do. So, no rating, but I do love it! It was SO good with the coconut almond milk and tasted (unsurprisingly) like coconut almond chai! Refreshing, creamy, nutty, spicy, cooling, delicious. Next I think I am going to make some chai caramels with the almond coconut milk instead of heavy cream…

momo

I just found coconut milk creamer! I’ve never seen it where I live so I’m taking it back with me just to see how it’s different from the usual coconut milk I drink.

Bonnie

It’s good!

Scott B

I had the same idea as you, but I iced my masala chai with almond milk today. Coconut milk goes great with masala chai. In fact, Yogic Chai makes a good coconut masala chai.

Alphakitty

Yogic’s coconut chai has been on my wishlist for ages, I plan to make a big order there one day but I keep making smaller purchases instead. ^^; They have so many amazing flavors!

Mmmm… I was really craving a strongly flavored chai this morning, and this is definitely strong. I love how this is so strong and warms you all over (thank goodness it has been really cool out this week). I don’t like this one as much as the red counterpart, but it Is still quite yummy.

Am I alone in thinking this tastes like licorish? Hmmm.

I like my tea twin KeeneTeaThyme am on a quest for a good chai. I thought this could be a real contender. I’d heard good things from friends who swear by Republic of Tea teas. But this was SUPER weak with one bag. I even prepared said teas as Republic of Tea suggested (simmered, milk, and honey) and it was still weak. I will try to double up on the bag as another Steepster suggested.

All the traditional chai spices were there, but pretty weak. May try again and double up the bags.

Delicious.

I’m really not a ‘tea bag’ person and buy loose tea whenever I can manage it, so I bought this loose as well and I used quite about 2 tsp of it when I made my cup. Mostly because I’m heading out into the cold (to go to the movie theatre for HARRY POTTER! YAY!) so I wanted something strong to hold me upright against the wind.

I love this tea. It’s my favorite from the Republic blends I’ve had. It’s strong, spicy, and moments after a sip I can still taste the flavour. I do like strong tasting teas, (for years I drank my coffee as strong, black, and angry as I could) because I hate watery pathetic flavourless dribble. I found this tea sensational and if I could smuggle a cup into the theatre with me tonight, I would.

Traditional chai taste, very full flavour, certainly peppery, and perfect with some milk and honey as per the suggestion. I’ll certainly have more of this in the future!

I found this weak tea-wise but strong spice-wise, so I usually add a plain black tea bag and I’m good to go. However, there are more interesting chais out there.

wokeupfuzzy

I should note that I have the bagged kind not the loose leaf – maybe there’s a difference in tea/spice ratio.

Bagged teas rarely are going to be as good as loose-leaf varieties, but Republic Chai was disappointingly weak by any standard. There was just no “there” there, if you know what I mean. If you’re hellbent on getting your tea from a bag, Celestial Seasonings (which I associate more with herbal teas than with quality real teas) actually has a pretty good chai that has the requisite spice and which can stand up to milk. If you want the real deal, however, go for the loose-leaf stuff, such as Rishi’s Masala Chai. Or, if you prefer something with a strong cinnamon flavor, rather than cardamon, try Porto Rico Importing’s Chai Tra Que.

I usually like chai teas. I love the spice.

When I first open the canister, I was concerned because it looked like I bought ground pepper…

I decided to persevere and try the tea anyways. I steeped it as directed, and took a swig… Big mistake. It looked like pepper, smelled like pepper, and tasted like pepper. There wasn’t the nice spice or tea flavor, it just tasted like I was drinking pepper.

Not sure if I’ll try it again, I think I got a bad batch. I mixed it around, and it just looks like pepper.

Scott B

So you liked the pepper water better than the bland spice tea from Adagio?

rantHappy

Well, the pepper tea had flavor, and the adagio tea gave me a headache from drinking it.