Toasted Rice Green Tea - Japanese Genmaicha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

• “Love the savory flavor (Umami-ness?) from the toasted rice. First steep was a little weak at 2 minutes but very enjoyable. I steeped the bags a second time for 3 minutes. Both 16 ounce mugs were...” Read full tasting note
    Dixie_Amazon 9 tasting notes
  • “I'm not a huge green tea fan, but this is interesting. It's the first time I've had genmaicha - it tastes kind of like rice krispies! It has a subtle sweetness, roastiness, and not too much...” Read full tasting note
    VegTea 188 tasting notes
  • “Pretty good. It has a nutty, sweet, green, rice cake/rice crispy flavor. I drank this mostly while i wasn't feeling well. It really does make you feel like you've eaten something. Which made me...” Read full tasting note
    SenchaMatcha 54 tasting notes
  • “I absolutely love genmaicha. If I could pick only one tea to have around, it would probably be genmaicha. I like it with a couple of sugars, but today I got the notion to add some of the vanilla...” Read full tasting note
    dragondrool 3 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

The Republic of Tea Japanese Gen Mai Cha blends fire toasted rice and green sencha tea leaves with the fresh flavor of grain to produce this robust tea. A smooth, toasty taste, it follows ancient Japanese tradition to satisfy hunger as well as thirst. All of the company’s teas are naturally produced without additives and undergo testing for pesticide residues at the garden level and again when packaged for premium quality and flavor.

About The Republic of Tea View company

Love the savory flavor (Umami-ness?) from the toasted rice. First steep was a little weak at 2 minutes but very enjoyable. I steeped the bags a second time for 3 minutes. Both 16 ounce mugs were drained in record time.

12/04/12 Steeped 2.5 minutes. Perfect for me, so yummy and satisfying. Nom, nom, nom.

I’m not a huge green tea fan, but this is interesting. It’s the first time I’ve had genmaicha – it tastes kind of like rice krispies! It has a subtle sweetness, roastiness, and not too much astringency. I got this in bags from World Market, but it looks like it might be available as bags or loose leaf under the name “Tea of Inquiry” from RoT.

Pretty good.
It has a nutty, sweet, green, rice cake/rice crispy flavor.
I drank this mostly while i wasn’t feeling well. It really does make you feel like you’ve eaten something. Which made me feel better when I couldn’t handle much :(
I discovered that (after I got better of course) it’s pretty dang good with milk and sugar in it. P: but i like it both ways.

I absolutely love genmaicha. If I could pick only one tea to have around, it would probably be genmaicha. I like it with a couple of sugars, but today I got the notion to add some of the vanilla simple syrup I made the other day. It was rather great with a touch of vanilla on top of the toastiness.

This is a great Genmaicha for people on the go. I was a little skeptical of this at first but so far I’ve enjoyed pretty much every cup. I would agree that they need about 2-3 minutes steeping time in order to really absorb the flavors. It is a bit lighter than other Genmaicha steeped through the traditional method but don’t let that stop you from trying it. Also, while it is good hot, I do think it is better lukewarm. I kinda feel like I say that in all my posts but I just don’t like to drink tea too hot.