Comfort and Joy

Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From The Republic of Tea

The Warmth of the Season.

Cinnamon and cloves are the shining stars of this blend. Wrap your hands around a cup that will surely put you in the mood for celebration. Fine black tea leaves create a substantial base for this spicy infusion, while apples and just a hint of licorice sweeten each sip.

A spicy holiday blend available in natural, round, unbleached tea bags.

About The Republic of Tea View company

Hard to say what the ideal temp is; I use the hot water machine at work, which is less than boiling but hot enough to burn.

This is backlogged from a couple days ago. It was a free sample I got with the catalogue so I am definitely glad I didn’t spend money on this one. This one is ok. I have to say it smells better dry then it does brewed. It is sadly really bland brewed. If it tasted the way it smelled out of the package it would’ve been delicious. Oh well it was free so I can’t really complain too much…

I am really surprised at all the other reviewers who didn’t like this too much. I wonder if those who tried the “free samples” somehow got stock that wasn’t very good? I suppose a promotion could do that whereby RoT put out a poor batch…

Anyhow, RoT isn’t really the kind of company I usually go to for tea: they’re just too industrial, run-of-the-mill–ish, pedestrian for my usual taste.

However, I love this tea. I’ve been drinking it for a couple of years now in loose leaf. I do make it pretty strong (an overstuffed ball infuser for 10+ minutes)

I find the flavor rich and complex with a satisfying spice. It has a natural sweetness and doesn’t overpower with cinnamon. Instead, it has cardamom, clove, and bergamot flavors that enhance the straight forward black tea.

Boiling 8 min or more

I got this as part of a stackable set of three tea canisters as a gift. The canisters are lovely. Rich colors, foil-like shine… beautiful. Comfort and Joy was the first tea I tried in the trio.

When I opened the container, the first thing I got was a very strong aroma of a spice I couldn’t recognize. Licorice root is listed as an ingredient, but I’ve had licorice root before and this was not it. Maybe it was one of the other “natural flavors” the RoT uses. Just because I didn’t recognize it didn’t make it off-putting, however, and so I brewed it up following the instructions on the container. As it brews, it smells marvelous. I could hardly wait for it to be done, it smelled so good and produced such an attractive clear amber liquor. When it was time, I sipped. But wait, had I missed the cup? ? I sipped again. Oh, oh… wait a minute, no, there was definitely something like a hot tea in my mouth, but it had no flavor. I held it in my mouth for a minute, and began to taste a… little… bit… of… apple—not much, but a little bit, then I got a little bite from one of the spices in there, but not much else. It was very weak, very watery, and as it sat, increasingly bitter even though the bag had been removed long before. RoT says on the canister for this product that “black tea leaves create a substantial base for this holiday infusion,” but I don’t see it that way. If there is black tea in there, it’s such inferior tea that it can’t stand up to brewing. The other ingredients, actual as well as “natural” don’t seem to survive brewing either. It’s not bad, it’s just blehhh. Yeah, okay, that’s bad. Anyway. Each of the canisters in this holiday sampler boasts, “Steeping is easy,” and it is. Getting a good infusion out of it with this product, however, seems to be difficult.

FINALLY got my catalog so I’m drinking and logging this as I page thru it. Based on the reviews I’m not expecting much, but a free sample that’s easy for me to make when I’m sick is always good. And I’m hoping at least the name of it will give me some comfort and joy.

Observations: FREE +, convenience for 1st infusion +, convenience for multiple infusions -, bagged (not my personal preference -, environmentally friendly bag +, bag that’s difficult to fish out w/o an aid -, comes w/ a catalog +, tempts me to buy things I shouldn’t -, weight – (way too light for a 6oz cup especially considering spices take up some of the weight), contains licorice -.

Serving: in 6oz water. Hot and clean.

I’m absolutely SHOCKED at how dark the liquor is based on the weight. It looks just like black coffee. Maybe this won’t be bad after all- considering I’ve already had 1 tisane today that had licorice in it and wasn’t bad.

As for the aroma, I smell the black tea, the spices, and the apple. This smells more like an apple chai than Adagio’s apple chai does.

Hmmm… interesting… It’s not nearly as weak as I expected it to be based on the weight and the flavor is definitely in good proportion to the liquor. I taste all 3 components: the black tea, the spice (but no licorice thank GOD!), and the fruityness you’d expect from a chai w/ apple in it… if someone had given this to me w/o telling me what it was I’d swear it was MarketSpice chai because the fruityness is citrus- orange. Not what I expected, but good!

Conclusions: Good free tea. Nice to have around for when you aren’t up to making loose tea. Full of surprises in strength of flavor and in what flavors you get. If you don’t mind that it’s an orangy and not an appley chai, you’ll really like this one. Not sure how it’ll taste w/ milk because MarketSpice chai tastes like a hot dreamscicle when I add milk.

I don’t drink many bagged teas anymore but The Republic of Tea’s products were among my favorites when I did. Two aspects of this tea enticed me to try it:

1. It was a free sample that came in the mail
2. I enjoy drinking Christmas teas during the festive season

When I opened the sturdy envelope to expose The Republic of Tea’s signature tea “disc,” an inviting spicy cinnamon aroma spewed out. I steeped the disc for five minutes at 212 degrees. The color was a light gold/orange. The aroma was…like…Christmas!

The brewed liquor had a sweet and spicy flavor that was reminiscent of hot apple cider at Christmas time. I could taste the cloves underneath the dominant flavors but this taste was positioned perfectly without bullying the other great attributes. The overall flavors of this bagged blend were surprisingly robust and quite smooth. The after taste was gentle and delicate. I didn’t detect even a trace of astringency.

This delicious tea really did spread Christmas cheer on my morning. If you find yourself without your loose leaf infuser during the holiday season, this bagged selection just might bring you some comfort and joy.

Flavors: Cloves, Spicy, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Another disappointing catalog sample from Republic of Tea. This one smells lovely, like mulled apple cider! But the flavor is weak and watery licorice with the barest hint of cinnamon.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Licorice

A free sample! Oooh, but its been a while since I had one of those. Its exciting, in a way.
Or, it would be, if I wasn’t so disappointed.
I don’t see anything theoretically wrong with this tea or its flavors, but its just so weak in my cup. It reminds me very strongly of their apple cider tea, which is also weak sauce.
Ah well, at least it was just a sample. Sipdown!

Yay, the seasonal Republic of Tea freebie! And this is a controversial one here on Steepster, I see.

Dry, this tea is very aromatic. The cinnamon and clove are very powerful. While these translate well into the steeped tea, they sort of blend with the apple flavor. The licorice isn’t so much in the taste as it’s there leaving that tingling feeling. The black tea base isn’t very distinct. I guess it’s a little bitter.

I don’t get why some people dislike this so much. Sure, I could do without the licorice, but otherwise this is just like Constant Comment, but with apple instead of orange.

Flavors: Apple, Cinnamon, Cloves, Licorice

gmathis

I think this is one I didn’t care for … but was glad to see that plain old Tazo “Joy” is temporarily back on the shelves at Target—that’s a seasonal one I like.

Tried this for the first time this morning. Again, no sweetener needed. I laid in bed and sipped on it while waking up before work. I really, really enjoyed it and look forward to drinking it again. 4 out of 5 star rating.