Caramel Vanilla Cuppa Cake™

Black Tea, Blackberry Leaves, Carob Pieces, Natural Caramel Flavor, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Caramel, Vanilla, Nuts
Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 2 g 8 oz / 246 ml

• “This was the freebie bag in the latest RoT catalog that landed in our box. It smells luscious--like a Yankee Candle. Flavor is not unpleasant, by any means, but not getting any caramel out of it....” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1692 tasting notes
  • “This has been on my list of things to try, so I was delighted when it showed up in the Republic of Tea mailer. I love caramel. I love vanilla. I am helpless in the face of cake. On the surface,...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 830 tasting notes
  • “This was a sample from the RoT catalog. I just can't stand to throw out perfectly good tea, so I decided to get this over with and make it this morning. I had recently subjected myself to...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 372 tasting notes
  • “really disappointed because i wanted to like this tea, but all i get is hazelnut. and i don't like hazelnut in the least. was not expecting that at all, since this is supposed to taste like...” Read full tasting note
    pyarkaaloo 111 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Taste the decadent flavors of old-fashioned Southern yellow cake with homemade caramel vanilla frosting. Our smooth premium black tea blend is a favorite and was inspired by the caramel cake in the movie “The Help.” This calorie-free treat is wonderful either served hot or cool.

The flavors of rich, buttery caramel and sweet vanilla transform this black tea into a decadent dessert.

About The Republic of Tea View company

This was the freebie bag in the latest RoT catalog that landed in our box. It smells luscious—like a Yankee Candle. Flavor is not unpleasant, by any means, but not getting any caramel out of it. Saw another note that mentioned hazelnut, and indeed, that’s more accurate. The ingredient list puzzled me. I have no animosity against either blackberry leaves or carob, but wondered what they’re doing in a brew with this moniker.

Ah, well—it’s warm and sweet and I’m cranky and cold. Surely it’ll help with one symptom or the other.

(However, a disclaimer here: wasn’t paying attention to steep time; I may have gotten a bit too impatient.)

Nicole

freebies with catalogs??? I need to start getting the catalog!

gmathis

Usually one bag of one of their newer product lines each time.

I love caramel. I love vanilla. I am helpless in the face of cake. On the surface, this tea is exactly what the doctor ordered.
In practice? Nope. It tastes oddly chemical and fake. A faint hint of a very faux vanilla and even faker caramel. A disapointment. I will pull this off the wishlist.

Awe…. I had hopes for this one too

pyarkaaloo

this one was weird….i’m surprised at how bad i thought it was! a very faux flavor, whatever it was. i got the impression of hazelnut :/

sherapop

I agree!

This was a sample from the RoT catalog. I just can’t stand to throw out perfectly good tea, so I decided to get this over with and make it this morning. I had recently subjected myself to Teavana’s Pumpkin Spice Brûlée, and when I when I smelled this tea bag I expected a similar super artifically-sweet cloying mess. I was pleasantly surprised that the flavoring was a relatively clean nutty vanilla. I still wouldn’t ever pick this up. The black tea base is pretty flavorless, but it’s maybe convinced me that vanilla + black tea isn’t always distasteful to me.

Flavors: Caramel, Nuts, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

really disappointed because i wanted to like this tea, but all i get is hazelnut. and i don’t like hazelnut in the least. was not expecting that at all, since this is supposed to taste like caramel, vanilla or some approximation of cake.

i also get a plasticky note that’s hard to ignore…not sure if it’s from the sachet or the artificial flavoring, but i couldn’t even finish my cup.

what to do with the rest of this tin??

Thank you Ost for the inclusion of this tea in our recent swap! Made a nice iced tea. I can taste the vanilla and the caramel but I am not tasting the cupcake aspect. Still a very nice ice tea, quite refreshing.

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

A filter bag sample of Republic of Tea Caramel Vanilla arrived along with a catalog in the mail. I brewed it up today out of curiosity, though I wasn’t very optimistic.

The filter bag is extremely heavily scented—to the point of being cloying, I’d say. But of course that is the point of these flavored blends, it appears: to serve as a dessert surrogate.

The tea brewed up golden brown and tastes rather sweet. I added cream because caramel and cream are natural partners!

Overall, I was not impressed with “Cuppa Cake” Caramel Vanilla, and ended up not finishing my glass. It’s too sweet, and despite the all-natural ingredients list, it tastes somewhat artificial to me. The tea itself seems something like an afterthought—could be just about anything swept off the floor.

(Blazing New Rating #33)

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML
Rosehips

I wasnt impressed either. Not what I hoped for!

sherapop

Rosehips, I love caramel, but this blend is not appetizing to me!

Rosehips

Same here! Such a bummer, when a tea does not live up to its potential.

Maybe it was the cute packaging, or the whole idea of it, or something. But for some reason I picked this up at the mall yesterday.

It’s not terrible, let me start there. I read the reviews here and had expected a bad tea. It’s not bad. It’s also not a tea that I am anxious to drink again. It’s just…ok. I get a very strong coffee taste from it, and I’m not a fan of coffee. A bit of caramel, a bit of vanilla.

I drink my tea in an 11 oz mug, so I used two tea bags. The canister recommended a bag to 6 oz. I added a bit of sweetener. Meh.

Sipdown!! (204)

Thank you TraceyC for the chance to try this tea. I remember enjoying the last cup but this one is tasting a bit off. The black base is a little more prominent, the dusty nut element prevalent, and the hint of caramel is bordering on cloying. It is a completely different taste experience and a rather sour note to finish this off with. I don’t think I will be having this tea again if for nothing else but the inconsistency between cups.

This was another freebee bag sample sent to me by Republic Of Tea. I thought I’d give it a try. Why not?!

When I opened the single bag package, I had to go, “WHOOOAA!” An extremely overpowering hazelnut smell smacked me upside my head…and nose!

I plopped the bag into boiling water for five minutes. The bag was a round satchel without attachments. It worked, but it was also a little inconvenient since there was no string and tag bound to it to help pull the hot dripping sack from the cup. The tea bag is one of the few gifts in life that is desirable to have with strings attached.

The brewed color was a bright orange-gold. The aroma was again loaded with hazelnut, but fortunately it was toned down from its unsteeped state.

The taste was disappointing and not what I expected. I had rallied my taste buds for a symphony of vanilla and caramel orchestrated in expert harmony. That fantasy came crashing down with a diluted hazelnut taste aimlessly drifting on a life raft in an ocean of tangy tea.

When the journey through my cup was about 4/5 completed, I started to pick up some sweetness in the taste and MAYBE some caramel. At that point, though, it might have just been my brain trying to fill in the gaps for the anticipated flavors. That being said, not even my imagination was wild enough to conjure up some vanilla flavor. The tanginess was still present. I won’t say that it was astringency but it was misplaced and didn’t add value to the taste. The aftertaste lingered for quite a while but it was the tangy tea flavor, more than the hazelnut/caramel, that hung around.

Here’s how I would summarize this tea. If I were attending a meeting and someone handed me a cup of it during a break, I would courteously drink it. However, if I were at the same meeting and I saw several rows of tea bags laid out on a buffet table, this would not be my first choice.

Flavors: Nuts

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
caile

It sounds like the name is deceiving for this tea!

Stoo

I believe it is at least misleading. Maybe they thought the taste of hazelnut is close enough to caramel and vanilla to kill two birds with one stone.

GCTTB another from yesterday and the travelling tea box. This one was better than the gingerbread one, from the perspective of being more drinkable to me…however caramel vanilla this is not? It’s more like a slightly sweet average boring black red rose type tea. Happy to have tried it, but that’s where that stays.

I’m going to go with a starting count of 158 for March 1, though Feb i DID achieve my goal of getting to 150. :) Goal for this month… 140.

Anna

140! GO HEISENSIL!

Fjellrev

I believe in you, Sil. In Tony Little’e voice, “You can do it!”

dude i was almost back to 150 today…until tea from courtney showed up lol but i have a few packages going out this weekend that should help. I hope.