Caramel Vanilla Cuppa Cake™

Black Tea, Blackberry Leaves, Carob Pieces, Natural Caramel Flavor, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Butter, Cake, Caramel, Frosting, Sweet, Vanilla, Hazelnut, Pecan, Nuts
Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 oz / 258 ml

• “This was the freebie bag in the latest RoT catalog that landed in our box. It smells luscious--like a Yankee Candle. Flavor is not unpleasant, by any means, but not getting any caramel out of it....” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1736 tasting notes
  • “This has been on my list of things to try, so I was delighted when it showed up in the Republic of Tea mailer. I love caramel. I love vanilla. I am helpless in the face of cake. On the surface,...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 951 tasting notes
  • “This was a sample from the RoT catalog. I just can't stand to throw out perfectly good tea, so I decided to get this over with and make it this morning. I had recently subjected myself to...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 372 tasting notes
  • “really disappointed because i wanted to like this tea, but all i get is hazelnut. and i don't like hazelnut in the least. was not expecting that at all, since this is supposed to taste like...” Read full tasting note
    pyarkaaloo 138 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Taste the decadent flavors of old-fashioned Southern yellow cake with homemade caramel vanilla frosting. Our smooth premium black tea blend is a favorite and was inspired by the caramel cake in the movie “The Help.” This calorie-free treat is wonderful either served hot or cool.

The flavors of rich, buttery caramel and sweet vanilla transform this black tea into a decadent dessert.

About The Republic of Tea View company

This was the freebie bag in the latest RoT catalog that landed in our box. It smells luscious—like a Yankee Candle. Flavor is not unpleasant, by any means, but not getting any caramel out of it. Saw another note that mentioned hazelnut, and indeed, that’s more accurate. The ingredient list puzzled me. I have no animosity against either blackberry leaves or carob, but wondered what they’re doing in a brew with this moniker.

Ah, well—it’s warm and sweet and I’m cranky and cold. Surely it’ll help with one symptom or the other.

(However, a disclaimer here: wasn’t paying attention to steep time; I may have gotten a bit too impatient.)

Nicole

freebies with catalogs??? I need to start getting the catalog!

gmathis

Usually one bag of one of their newer product lines each time.

I love caramel. I love vanilla. I am helpless in the face of cake. On the surface, this tea is exactly what the doctor ordered.
In practice? Nope. It tastes oddly chemical and fake. A faint hint of a very faux vanilla and even faker caramel. A disapointment. I will pull this off the wishlist.

Awe…. I had hopes for this one too

pyarkaaloo

this one was weird….i’m surprised at how bad i thought it was! a very faux flavor, whatever it was. i got the impression of hazelnut :/

sherapop

I agree!

This was a sample from the RoT catalog. I just can’t stand to throw out perfectly good tea, so I decided to get this over with and make it this morning. I had recently subjected myself to Teavana’s Pumpkin Spice Brûlée, and when I when I smelled this tea bag I expected a similar super artifically-sweet cloying mess. I was pleasantly surprised that the flavoring was a relatively clean nutty vanilla. I still wouldn’t ever pick this up. The black tea base is pretty flavorless, but it’s maybe convinced me that vanilla + black tea isn’t always distasteful to me.

Flavors: Caramel, Nuts, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

really disappointed because i wanted to like this tea, but all i get is hazelnut. and i don’t like hazelnut in the least. was not expecting that at all, since this is supposed to taste like caramel, vanilla or some approximation of cake.

i also get a plasticky note that’s hard to ignore…not sure if it’s from the sachet or the artificial flavoring, but i couldn’t even finish my cup.

what to do with the rest of this tin??

Hello Steepster! This tea came from albertocanfly in my recent tea rehoming swaps. I’m not sure why, but I’ve had a weird fascination with these Cuppa Cake teas for a while… I’m very happy I finally get to try a couple of them! (if anyone else has Blueberry Bundt or Gingerbread, I would love to swap for those too!) Republic of Teas recommends 6 ounces of water per teabag (what…?) so I used two and filled my mug up almost to the top (so about 10 or 11 ounces). Hopefully it comes out okay! It’s hard to judge the leaf itself by looking at these bags, but it looks quite broken and very dark. It smells like some kind of amazing vanilla butter pound cake with caramel sauce, yum. I let the bags steep for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Mmm, once steeped, this tea smells like pure butter… Somewhat similar to those Butter Rum Lifesavers. There’s definitely a dessert element here. I added some raw sugar to my cup because, come on, cake is sweet. ;) I’m going to use Marzipan’s excuse and say, “Hey, I’m from the South!” Midwest counts as South, right? Right?! Sorry, sometimes I get pretty distracted typing while I’m waiting for my tea to cool… :P Okay, I may have overdone it a touch on the sugar, but it’s super delicious! Just like a cake tea should be. It tastes very vanilla-y and buttery, and there is caramel but it’s more of a light caramel – like a caramel drizzle. The base tea is super mellow and mild, and there’s the teensiest bit of astringency, but it’s next to nothing. Very tasty and decadent cake tea!

Flavors: Butter, Cake, Caramel, Frosting, Sweet, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Cameron B.

Lol… Hello dear Sarsy. :P

Sarsonator

I missed you, so I thought I’d say hi <3

Don’t remember where I got this, but it was time to try it. This really does smell like cake. The flavour is more caramel, and maybe pecan. I know this is a cake tea, but it is really sweet. Overall, I’m glad I picked up the single serve bag, but don’t need a canister.

Flavors: Caramel, Hazelnut, Pecan, Vanilla

This one excited me. Maybe I was overly excited and that’s why its not as good as I thought it would be. I honestly think it’s too sweet. I can barely taste any tea.. Think I also might have over steeped it because there is a slight bitterness in the sweetness.

Thank you Ost for the inclusion of this tea in our recent swap! Made a nice iced tea. I can taste the vanilla and the caramel but I am not tasting the cupcake aspect. Still a very nice ice tea, quite refreshing.

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

A filter bag sample of Republic of Tea Caramel Vanilla arrived along with a catalog in the mail. I brewed it up today out of curiosity, though I wasn’t very optimistic.

The filter bag is extremely heavily scented—to the point of being cloying, I’d say. But of course that is the point of these flavored blends, it appears: to serve as a dessert surrogate.

The tea brewed up golden brown and tastes rather sweet. I added cream because caramel and cream are natural partners!

Overall, I was not impressed with “Cuppa Cake” Caramel Vanilla, and ended up not finishing my glass. It’s too sweet, and despite the all-natural ingredients list, it tastes somewhat artificial to me. The tea itself seems something like an afterthought—could be just about anything swept off the floor.

(Blazing New Rating #33)

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML
Rosehips

I wasnt impressed either. Not what I hoped for!

sherapop

Rosehips, I love caramel, but this blend is not appetizing to me!

Rosehips

Same here! Such a bummer, when a tea does not live up to its potential.

Maybe it was the cute packaging, or the whole idea of it, or something. But for some reason I picked this up at the mall yesterday.

It’s not terrible, let me start there. I read the reviews here and had expected a bad tea. It’s not bad. It’s also not a tea that I am anxious to drink again. It’s just…ok. I get a very strong coffee taste from it, and I’m not a fan of coffee. A bit of caramel, a bit of vanilla.

I drink my tea in an 11 oz mug, so I used two tea bags. The canister recommended a bag to 6 oz. I added a bit of sweetener. Meh.