Downton Abbey® English Rose Tea

Hibiscus, Raspberry, Rose
Hibiscus, Berries, Flowers
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by hapatite

• “This was a sample with the RoT catalog. I maybe overstepped it, but that really can't explain away how bad this tasted. Hibiscus and rosehip are both kind of sour/tangy and did not go well...” Read full tasting note
    CharlotteZero 372 tasting notes
  • “First to review this, eh? Well, tall-ho! First observation is that, when hot water first hit the tea bag, the water turned purple! It has turned, upon further steeping, into a rich magenta color....” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 881 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown. I'm not sure how much this resembles "English Rose" anything--I had rose tea many times this summer when I went to England, and I can say with confidence that none of the blends contained...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 414 tasting notes
  • “ I received the Downton Abbey English Rose Herb tea as a sample in the catalog and its ok, is definitely a desserts tea. Taste a little apple-y / sweet to me and can't really taste roses! The cup...” Read full tasting note
    Risherly 32 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

This vibrant, ruby-red infusion of rose, raspberry and hibiscus has fruity, floral notes and a touch of sweetness. Inspired by traditional British desserts, this caffeine-free, luscious tea is perfect as an afternoon treat. Enjoy hot or cooled over a tall glass of ice.

About The Republic of Tea View company

This was a sample with the RoT catalog. I maybe overstepped it, but that really can’t explain away how bad this tasted. Hibiscus and rosehip are both kind of sour/tangy and did not go well together in my opinion. The raspberry flavoring was very strong, but the rose was almost undetectable. I only took two sips, however, before pouring it down the drain. Maybe it was the stevia in this that really turned me off, because I really didn’t like that this was both strongly sweet and strongly sour.

Boiling 8 min or more
__Morgana__

That’s sad, particularly given the name!

TeaBrat

As soon as I saw there was hibiscus I knew I wouldn’t want any. :-P

CharlotteZero

On a rare occasion I like a hibiscus tea. Shameful as it is to admit, I really do like that “Passion” Tazo tea at Starbucks quite a lot…

TeaBrat

I don’t mind the flavor of hibiscus but it almost always gives me an awful stomach ache

CharlotteZero

Aw. That’s not good. :-( At least, in my opinion, you’re not missing anything great.

First to review this, eh? Well, tall-ho!
First observation is that, when hot water first hit the tea bag, the water turned purple! It has turned, upon further steeping, into a rich magenta color. Woah.
I cannot say that I get any rose flavor out of this at all. I get a tart sweetness, which could be the infamous hibiscus (never before has a flower had so polarizing an effect as it does here on Steepster). I cant say I’ve had enough hibiscus to really form a strong opinion, but I’m dissapointed in this.
I was expecting something more… English. The idea of a decaf rose tea was very appealing, but all in all I’m glad this was just a sample.

Sipdown. I’m not sure how much this resembles “English Rose” anything—I had rose tea many times this summer when I went to England, and I can say with confidence that none of the blends contained hibiscus. Surprisingly, though, this doesn’t smell all that bad. It’s like freeze-dried raspberries or candy. Not what I expected when I read that I was getting a rose tea, but still not terrible.

I can’t help but like RoT, because they were the first real tea I drank. They’re also the only brand I can find in stores anywhere near me. I will admit, though, when they’re good they’re good and when they’re bad they’re awful. I got this with their catalog and won’t be buying any more because despite the nice smell the hibiscus in this completely takes over. I think I’ll ice it to see how it does and then rate it.

ETA: This is not bad iced—it tastes like the freeze-dried raspberries I get in the smell. Decent as an iced tea but I taste zero rose whatsoever.

Kat_Maria

I just got their catalog with a Caramel Vanilla (I think…) sample in it. I got the sample of this tea as well before but hasn’t got round to it yet. I remember having being obsessed with RoT (unfortunate abbreviation ;D) there for a while but I am glad I’ve never committed myself to a really big order from them… I have this coconut pu-erh (loose leaf) from them that I used to really cherish, now it doesn’t taste appealing to me at all. Any pu-erh blend from good ol’ Adagio seems to taste much better than that. But yeah, I guess I will always be a bit sentimental about them as well!

bluebelle

I’d say a lot of their blends are a good jumping-off point, but at least so far none of their teas really stick with me as a must-have. That said, they’re pretty popular where I am and it’s not uncommon to find their teas for sale in cafés… I don’t think I have it in me to completely give up on them as a whole.

I received the Downton Abbey English Rose Herb tea as a sample in the catalog and its ok, is definitely a desserts tea. Taste a little apple-y / sweet to me and can’t really taste roses! The cup is self is really is beautiful a rose pink color. In my opinion i think it would taste better iced. I would repurchase.
200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

I got this as a sample from carol who. It doesn’t taste like rose to me at all, but similar to a fruit punch or hibiscus tea. It’s not offensive, but it’s very sweet.

Flavors: Hibiscus

Love the berry and hibiscus flavor,unfortunately the rose rose is imperceptable.
I still like this tea,but would give it higher marks if you could taste the rose AND
If it had any resteep value

gmathis

Was afraid this might be more novelty than tea.

CelebriTEA

I think so, however, I really do enjoy the tisanes with hibiscus…
love the tart, refreshing taste…definitely not bad…wish I could have tasted
the rose, and I dont regret it…but I honestly appreciate being able to get
at least 1 reseteep from a “tea” ,but the tisanes with hibiscus are limited that way :-/

So the last time I had this tea, I suspected that it would taste much better as an iced tea. I’m pleased to report that I was right! I dropped two tea bags into my water bottle, filled it up, and left it chilling in the fridge for a few hours. The resulting tea is this bright pink-red juice, basically. It starts off with a tart note from the hibiscus and then leaves with a more subtle raspberry flavor. Again, I’m not getting “rose” out of this tea, but it was a nice, tangy, refreshing iced tea. My only complaint so far other than the rose thing is that there seemed to be something a bit missing. Maybe next time, I’ll try three teabags or adding a simple syrup to give it a bit more substance.

Flavors: Berries

__Morgana__

And now I’m missing Downton Abbey! (They really need to make these BBC series seasons longer ;-).)

Jennkay

Seriously! I thought Downton Abbey was short… Then I started watching Sherlock, haha.

This just isn’t that good.

Flavors: Berries, Flowers