Double Dark Chocolate Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From The Republic of Tea

Dynamic Duo – It’s a match made in heaven: antioxidant-rich, organic, roasted Yerba Maté blended with organic dark cocoa powder in a guilt-free, full-bodied dessert tea. Dark Chocolate also brims with antioxidants, plus polyphenols – compounds known to lower blood pressure.

These two nutrient powerhouses promote longevity and good health. Savor the allure of organic, roasted Yerba Maté as it mingles with the satisfying flavors of organic dark chocolate. It’s nice with a splash of warm milk.

About The Republic of Tea View company

I’m a dark chocolate enthusiast so I was psyched to try this, based on its name: double dark. Sounds dark, doesn’t it? Trust me, it’s not. So I initially gave it a low rating for not being dark and for being bland and watery. Put it in the recesses of my cupboard. Then, having pulled it out for a steepster swap recently I tried it again, this time with an extra long brew time, well beyond the recommended 7 minutes. Big difference. This is one of those teas that really benefit from being kept hot while steeping, and in fact it seems best off being left in the cup till the end. I like it with a little splash of almond milk and it can also take a little dash of cinnamon or shot of whatever alcohol you like with your hot chocolate. Still not double dark at all, but a nice drink on a cold day or evening.

Perfect balance of choccie and mate. I don’t take the bag out while I’m drinking.

Boiling 8 min or more

Okay, okay… so I rated this before saying I didn’t care for it. Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe it’s just grown on me, but I’ve come to really like this mate. I think I may have been brewing it too strong before to try to enhance the chocolate flavor, and instead making it too harsh. It’s not as chocolate-y as I was hoping, true, but it is chocolate-y and caffeinated—a great combination! Pity I gave most of it away! Guess I’ll just have to get some more.

Boiling

I really really like this tea. I was very impressed with the great chocolate taste it has. I am not a real fan of tea in bags but this one is truly worth the compromise. This tea hits the I need chocolate crave square in the face. I was so impressed with the fact that I could get multi steeps from the one bag and how great the chocolate flavor was and I did not have to add sweetener. This tea was so good I shared the bags with many friends.

This is a delicious, decadent tasting tea! I like opening the tin, seeing the coco powder escaping from the bags, and smelling the rich chocolaty aroma.

It’s really close to good dark chocolate or straight coco powder, not a sweet artificial taste like with a swiss miss style hot chocolate powder or a hershey chocolate chip. More like the urgent, pure taste of a Ghirardelli dark chocolate chip, or adding rich coco powder to a recipe.

After all my raving about strong, straight dark chocolate, the truth is, I prefer this tea with a little milk. That makes the flavor more full to me, and it doesn’t need any sweetener. With a little milk, the back of my mouth and tongue get a really sweet chocolaty flavor all on their own. Without milk, it’s not bitter, but just a little flat and too blunt.

I really enjoy this tea, I’m trying it hot now on a rainy day, and I just got an idea to try it iced. If I could pull it off, that would be delicious too!

I don’t feel jittery after drinking this tea, but I’m not sure if I feel more energetic from the mate either. I’ll have to pay better attention and see.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

Nice tea for those mornings when I can’t get warm. Who knew that yerba mate and cocoa would work so nicely together? I don’t use any milk, but I’ve recommended doing so to a few people who had trouble getting past their notions of hot chocolate. They’ve liked it a lot that way.

Very nice dessert tea. I recommend adding a little cream to it. Smell is excellent.

Oh Double dark chocolate mate tea – I love you. You taste like rich chocolate (after you’re brewed for a while – takes a bit for the full richness to appear) and with a touch of milk and honey you satisfy my sweet tooth. You also do well in perking me up in the morning.

Sadly – I discovered today why I had to give you up. Seems I’m allergic to you. This is unfair in so many ways. Teas that I hate don’t make me itch so why do you?

Signed – a sad mate fan.

180 °F / 82 °C 8 min or more

Got this with a bunch of samples from AmazonV. Brewed up 2 bags to 6oz with boiling water for 6 minutes per AmazonV’s instructions. I really wanted to like this tea, it smells delicious, like creamy dark chocolate bliss. Brewed a nice cloudy brown cuppa tea. First sip was pretty boring, watery chocolate so I added 1 tbsp of half and half and it was meh. I took a few sips and ended up dumping it out. I think chocolate and tea just aren’t my thing. I can do a little chili chocolate Azteca Fire from teavana once in a while, but probably steering clear of chocolate teas in the future. Ugg.

Meh. The smell was heavenly, but I wasn’t blown away by the chocolate-y mate-y goodness I was expecting. (And tea snob that I am, I was already unimpressed because I thought this would’ve been a loose-leaf tea and not a bag tea.) I drank a HUGE pot of this stuff (maybe 2-3 large mugs full), and an hour later, I didn’t feel that usual snap of energy I do when drinking a loose-leaf mate. Instead, it was the exact opposite — I was sleepy! I might try it again (maybe with cream), but it just didn’t do it for me overall.