Double Dark Chocolate Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Cocoa, Coffee, Dirt, Roast nuts, Roasted
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From The Republic of Tea

Dynamic Duo – It’s a match made in heaven: antioxidant-rich, organic, roasted Yerba Maté blended with organic dark cocoa powder in a guilt-free, full-bodied dessert tea. Dark Chocolate also brims with antioxidants, plus polyphenols – compounds known to lower blood pressure.

These two nutrient powerhouses promote longevity and good health. Savor the allure of organic, roasted Yerba Maté as it mingles with the satisfying flavors of organic dark chocolate. It’s nice with a splash of warm milk.

About The Republic of Tea View company

Got this with a bunch of samples from AmazonV. Brewed up 2 bags to 6oz with boiling water for 6 minutes per AmazonV’s instructions. I really wanted to like this tea, it smells delicious, like creamy dark chocolate bliss. Brewed a nice cloudy brown cuppa tea. First sip was pretty boring, watery chocolate so I added 1 tbsp of half and half and it was meh. I took a few sips and ended up dumping it out. I think chocolate and tea just aren’t my thing. I can do a little chili chocolate Azteca Fire from teavana once in a while, but probably steering clear of chocolate teas in the future. Ugg.

Meh. The smell was heavenly, but I wasn’t blown away by the chocolate-y mate-y goodness I was expecting. (And tea snob that I am, I was already unimpressed because I thought this would’ve been a loose-leaf tea and not a bag tea.) I drank a HUGE pot of this stuff (maybe 2-3 large mugs full), and an hour later, I didn’t feel that usual snap of energy I do when drinking a loose-leaf mate. Instead, it was the exact opposite — I was sleepy! I might try it again (maybe with cream), but it just didn’t do it for me overall.

It smells very chocolaty, but I had to add a teaspoon of honey to bring out the flavor. I think that’s just me, though, and not the tea; I have to add honey to most of my teas for me to taste something other than water. Otherwise, it’s a nice, smooth tea that’s good for a mild chocolate craving or a little mood therapy.

I had never tried yerba mate or chocolate in a tea before so I figured this would broaden my horizons. There is a definite chocolatey undertone to this tea and it compliments the yerba mate well. This tea delivers quite the boost as well. I drink it in the mornings when I have early classes to sustain me through to the afternoon.