Big Green Hojicha

Green Tea
Cream, Hay, Malt, Sweet, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “the leaves reminded me of bonito flakes, kinda smelled a little fishy. The end product has an aromatic wisp of cotton candy, but it's a pretty typical green tea with a itty bitty smokey tinge. ...” Read full tasting note
    spohkh 42 tasting notes
  • “Interesting story about this tea. The first time I ever had houjicha, it was one of those Yamamotoyama teabags at a sushi restaurant near my college. I had no idea how long to steep it, but I...” Read full tasting note
    karykeion 54 tasting notes
  • “Not as enthusiastic as the others here. I thought this was ok - then I got some Hojicha from Ma Cha Tea House in Madison. Way better! I think it has to do with the amount of roasting and my own...” Read full tasting note
    wokeupfuzzy 6 tasting notes
  • “I'm enjoying a cup of hojicha this evening. I have to go back out to an artist's reception at work this evening and am relaxing with a nice cup of tea.” Read full tasting note
    k_t_bug 23 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Chop Wood Carry Water Tea—Flat roasted green leaves yield a tea with an earthy aroma and nutty flavor (the leaves turn brown during roasting). A classic tea rarely found outside of Japan.

About The Republic of Tea View company

the leaves reminded me of bonito flakes, kinda smelled a little fishy. The end product has an aromatic wisp of cotton candy, but it’s a pretty typical green tea with a itty bitty smokey tinge. Overall, it’s simply good. I may have over steeped it because my pupkins grabbed my attention after the timer went off.
I took a nap, woke up and finished off the pot of now cold tea. This tastes a lot like genmaicha

Cofftea

This goes from fish to cotton candy???

spohkh

yup…kinda odd, aint it? =)

Cofftea

More like freakin weird lol!

fcmonroe

Fishy cotton candy.

mattscinto

wait what? lol

Interesting story about this tea.
The first time I ever had houjicha, it was one of those Yamamotoyama teabags at a sushi restaurant near my college. I had no idea how long to steep it, but I fell in love with the result of the union of this one tea bag with one cup of water out of the hot side of the cooler. My immediate reaction was “I need this in loose-leaf, DUH”, so I snagged a tin of this while visiting a friend in Oklahoma. I brewed it perfectly according to the instructions on the back. It tasted…not like the houjicha I knew and loved. No nutty caramel goodness, only that woody taste I know from oolong and most decidedly am not a fan of.
Approximately five billion fine-tuned brewings later, ladies and gentlemen, I have reached HOUJICHA EQUILIBRIUM, and I now have sweet toasted goodness at my beck and call. Bravo, Republic of Tea.

Not as enthusiastic as the others here. I thought this was ok – then I got some Hojicha from Ma Cha Tea House in Madison. Way better! I think it has to do with the amount of roasting and my own personal preference, but this tea started to taste like cardboard compared to the other, which is greener but has the same roasted woody notes. Much more flavor, imo, than this Republic of Tea houjicha.

I’m enjoying a cup of hojicha this evening. I have to go back out to an artist’s reception at work this evening and am relaxing with a nice cup of tea.

Yahoo! This is some good houjicha!

Sweet and mild on the palate, it has a really nice creaminess to it and the roasted flavor is warming, calming, delicious! There’s a bit of a dry finish, but other than that I have no complaints. The leaves after one infusion smell like blackberries among the roasted aromas. There’s a nice sweetness in this tea. I may have trouble describing the notes, as houjichas do not tend to be really complex in my experience, but it has the expected flavors of toast, malt, hay, a bit of sweetness. In this case there’s a kind of cream taste accompanying it, and if you extrapolate that flavor, I feel like it could be almost a butterscotch note. Though if you contemplate this tea a little differently you could almost get hints of dill pickle brine. It’s all subjective. The mouthfeel itself isn’t so creamy, but the flavor is. Anyway, I really like it.

Flavors: Cream, Hay, Malt, Sweet, Toasty