Get Some Zzz's - No. 5 (Wellness Collection)

Herbal Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From The Republic of Tea

Herb Tea for Rest
Say goodnight to tossing and turning. Brew a pot of our caffeine-free herbal blend and breathe a sigh of sweet relief as the bouquet of organic rooibos, soothing chamomile, passionflower and the mellowing properties of valerian gently lulls you toward blissful effects. Valerian won’t interfere with REM sleep, so you won’t have to contend with the morning “hangover” that often results from sleep-aids.

Ingredients: Rooibos (leaf), Orange (peel), Spearmint (leaf), Chamomile (flower), Passionflower (herb), Stevia (leaf) Valerian Root Extract.

About The Republic of Tea View company

Couldn’t decide between a cup of this or a cup of warm milk to help me fall asleep, so I compromise by making this into an unsweetened latte.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more
gmathis

Is it effective, zzzzz-wise?

Janefan

well, it didn’t really work last night. But I’m weird like that. Valerian is the only herb that does seem to help me sleep, and when it works (abt 7 times out of 10) it works, but when it doesn’t, I just toss and turn. I think it has to do with how late I ate, what’s on my mind, etc. shrug
Also, as a latte, this was kind of weird tasting. I doubt I’ll add milk again.

ashmanra

Gmathis: my hubby had some and he said it did not make him groggy or put him to sleep but when he fell asleep he slept deeply and restfully. He liked it and said he felt very rested the next day with no hungover feeling.

Janefan

Once I did fall asleep , I had a very long, detailed dream that had a plot, setting, and dialogue. That is very rare for me. Usually they are just impressionistic nonsense.

ashmanra

Janefan: LOL! I hope it was a GOOD dream! Heck, I’ll drink a cup of this if it will make me sleep deeply and be entertained at the same time! :). You know, I think I remember my husband saying it made him dream, too. Or that may have been when he hurt his back and had to take hydrocodone.

Yes, I fully realize that I should not be drinking a tea called "get some zzz’s whilst still at work.

Do I care at this point? Not really.

8 min or more
amandajo

Sounds like you need to go home!

Jaime

I do need to go home. Will you tell my boss?

amandajo

lol, yep

I like the idea of all these Wellness teas. Just do. Looking out for my health lately and it gives me an excuse to drink more tea. And I like that they’re caffeine free and herbal.

This has to be my favorite of the line. I drink this nightly…and I even got my husband hooked on it too. He’s asleep within minutes of drinking this tea. I usually am too. It’s light and yes there’s rooibos but I find it delightful in this blend. Right off my husband was like “lemon…and mint?” I didn’t even notice it till he said it but yes…there’s a little touch of mint that’s so delicate. It makes the tea seem crisp. I love the chamomile. It’s just pretty well blended and I think I’ll have to order another tin pretty soon

This tea actually did seem to help me relax, and for someone with a history of insomnia, that is a welcome change. I’ve never been a fan of prescription sleep aids as they don’t deliver a good quality of sleep for me. The lady at the tea store sold it as a natural alternative to Valium. Not quite sure I agree that it lives up to that, but still, this one was well received around my home. Also, the minty aroma is quite lovely.

Tabby

She probably said that because the tea contains Valerian, a root extract that is sometimes called “nature’s Valium”.

This tea has a lovely, spearmint-dominated fragrance and flavor. Just smelling the tin is great. I can’t discern any particular flavor in it under the spearmint, just hints of other flavors with nothing that jumps out strongly. While this tea does not really make me sleepy if I am not already so, I have noticed that I seem to sleep BETTER and be more rested if I drink it before going to bed. I really enjoy this tea; I’m glad I bought a whole tin and I may buy a bulk bag in the future.

Boiling

Okay, putting this tea to the test right now. I’ve been having trouble getting good sleep this past week. I’m having a lot of dreams (more than normal) and I’m waking up at lot too. Not sure why though, because I can’t really think of anything that’s changed with my habits.

Anyway, with all these sleep issues this week, today was a test. I work nights, and I had to come off a night shift to work days 24 hours later. I don’t know about anyone else but I can’t make my body work like that. What I’ve noticed is I usually sleep worse the more tired I am. If I’m too sleepy I can’t get to sleep and once I finally do fall asleep I wake up two hours later, can’t go back to sleep and I feel so groggy. But, back on my night schedule (24 hours later) again tomorrow and still exhausted, but can’t sleep.

Considering I haven’t finished the cup (too hot still) I can’t review the effects of the tea as far as sleep goes, but I will say I am starting to feel a little relaxed. I’m thinking it’s because of the warm sensation. It also leaves a nice aftertaste on your tongue. Has a nice sweet touch to it that’s not overpowering at all. It’s nicely sweetened without it making me feel like I’m drinking a cup of sugar that’s going to keep me awake. I also taste a little minty flavor in this tea…which I love because minty teas are one of my favorites.

Well, I guess I’ll leave it at this; I love the taste of this tea and will be buying more just for the flavor if it doesn’t work tonight. Other than that, I’ll leave another note tomorrow on how it helped my sleep issues. Wish me luck tea lovers!!!

TeaLover58

So, I had this tea last night and I’m really amazed that it worked! I was a little skeptical considering sleeping pills don’t ever work for me. I slept the entire night, getting a full 8 hrs. of sleep and I woke up feeling great. I am a fan and will continue buying this tea until it’s discontinued.

My husband dislikes flowery teas and won’t drink many herbals, but he likes this tea. He was having trouble sleeping due to stress at work, but this tea helps him sleep like a baby! He doesn’t feel groggy and it doesn’t put him out, but when he falls asleep he said he sleeps deeply and awakens feeling rested.

I feel obligated to start by saying that I am not a big fan of mint flavored teas. That being said I was not put off my the mintiness of this tea. I’ve had this in my collection for awhile and have not given it a try until now.

The scent is all mint, which worried me a bit at first.

The taste is predominately mint, but I definitely think the hint of chamomile mellows the mint out enough that it is not overpowering. I do wish the stevia wasn’t I there though, as I do not sweeten my teas as a general rule and find the stevia has a very noticeable aftertaste, which I detected in this tea.

I definitely slept well after drinking this, but I wouldn’t say solidly as I did get up a few times during the night… probably because of all that tea I drank right before bed! o.O But it definitely relaxed me and made it easier to fall asleep. I would definitely drink this the next time I feel like I need a little push getting to sleep at night.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’ve been having issues sleeping lately, so I decided to try this tea out. First time steeping it, and I added a small amount of blackberry honey to it. I do feel a bit more relaxed. I enjoy the minty aftertaste, but I can’t discern any of the other flavors. I don’t think the blend tastes well, so I’ll probably experiment with adding milk, lemon, and sugar.

this tea was fairly good at getting me relaxed. the taste is much more mild and has less of the medicinal taste than that of sleepytime extra. the blend actually works well with each other. as usual with valerian, i don’t think it’ll knock me out, but thus far, def. my preferred blend for “sleeping”.

if you’re looking for other teas with sedating effects, consider tulsi or kava. i’ve had much higher success with those than valerian.