Blackberry Sage

Black Fruit Blend
Blackberry, Astringent, Sage, Sweet, Tart, Berries, Floral, Perfume
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• Great Canadian Traveling Tea Box Certainly having fun with the travelling teabox today. I won’t get through them all today but i’m well on my way to being...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6481 tasting notes
  • “The best thing about this tea is the smell. Really great blackberry aroma comes wafting from the tin and the brewed liquid. I tried two cups using my fancy new water kettle my gf just got me...” Read full tasting note
    jason 113 tasting notes
  • “This tea was a favorite of mine when I was in my late teens, right before I switched to loose-leaf. I first discovered it in Rutherfordton, North Carolina at a combination coffee shop and bar...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 519 tasting notes
  • “My Wednesday night was the beginning of my climb out of a work-week funk (kicked off by the drive thru lady at Wendys accidentally giving the bf and I four chocolate frosties instead of...” Read full tasting note
    lfiske29 28 tasting notes

From The Republic of Tea

Tea For Wisdom. The soft taste and sweet aroma of fresh blackberries is experienced with the first sip of this fruity tea. A subtle undertone of cool white sage adds a balanced finish. Wonderful iced.

About The Republic of Tea View company

So I have been very busy and I have had a lot going on! I am sorry I haven’t been logging my tea! But I have, to be sure, been drinking it!

I babysat for my cousin and she gave me some tea along with my pay, because she’s awesome. (And because four days with two excitable boys is a little crazy.)

She gave me two—this stuff, and Stash Peppermint tea. I’ll get to that later.

This stuff though—I was SO EXCITED for. I LOVE berries, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE sage. I’ve had a really good High Mountain Atlas Sage at a little place in Charlottesville, and the Sage was SO LOVELY.

I thought this tea would be so great!

And, well, it was but… hmm.. I guess I feel like I was lacking on the flavours.

There is a light, smooth berry flavour, which I like a lot. It doesn’t need a lot of sugar, and I like that. But it wasn’t an immediate taste, either, and one thing that really (I mean really) disappointed me was that I could hardly taste any sage at all. Some sips it seemed like there was no sage. None. And to me, that’s false advertising, to label a tea as one flavour or combination, and then not deliver.

However, I do like this tea. It’s not bad, it’s smooth and has enough taste to be good, and it gives a nice boost in energy without giving the jitters.

And I love Republic of Teas round teabags!

Question though: what’s a really good sage tea, with a pretty obvious sage flavour? I need some!!

Flavors: Blackberry

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 14 OZ / 414 ML
TeaBrat

I have an herbal tea from Juniper Ridge and there’s only two ingredients in it: wild mint and sage. you could try that… sage flavor is strong

I got this one at a Schuler Books and Music store in the form of an iced tea, and it was exactly what I needed at that moment. This tea is naturally sweet, and tart making sugar unnecessary. I primarily tasted the black tea body which was smooth and slightly astringent, but complimented nicely with the black berry and accented by the sage. Very refreshing. Also, I got both the loose leaf version and this one, which are pretty similar…they must have pre-brewed it and then put it in the fridge.

I wonder how it would have tasted hot, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy my own tin of it. Still, I was amazed that a chain bookstore coffee shop offered this quality of tea, and I would definitely buy it again as an individual option.

Flavors: Astringent, Blackberry, Sage, Sweet, Tart

I am getting over a cough, so I’m somewhat congested.

A friend purchased this and shared with me today.

The blackberry smell is very intense, like warmed up pie filling, adn you can catch a whiff at a distane, maybe within two feet… Definitely smells a lot more sweet than tangy. I can almost taste pie when I smell it, and it is distnctly blackberry, without a doubt. It smells completely natural, and it has no weird artificial smell to it. I think usually, sage is a strong olfactory spice, but I don’t smell any of it at all. Sage is kind of more of a poultry seasoning, very savory, so hopefully it’s not overpowering when I actually get around to the taste.

First taste, sans sugar. The hits are not very complex, and presently this takes like an extremely mellow black tea — not bitter, not strong. It’s very smooth, but the fruity smell doesn’t translate to a strong fruity taste… in fact I can hardly taste it at all (maybe it’s the congestion). Definitely am not getting a sage taste. I am hoping to bring out more flavor with a bit of Splenda.

I think I overdid the Splenda. Now it’s too sweet, and it’s obviously more of a splenda sweetness than a fruity sweetness. It does have a moderate blackberry flavor however. More like a pie filling than a fresh, tangier blackberry.

I would definitely drink this over ice!

Flavors: Blackberry

180 °F / 82 °C 5 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

I drank this tea all through high school, I’d take bags with me to school and make tea in classes with cool teachers. it was my first experience with a higher quality tea. At first I thought sage was just in a name because I didn’t taste it at all. I love the fragrant blackberry steam to this day. Its a really delicate tea, I couldn’t find any regionally characteristic black tea taste. But I still drink it constantly, at least until I find a better go to tea. Even then i’ll still drink this out of nostalgia.

Haley Dee

I’ve never tried RoT, what do you think about them in general compared to other brands?

This smells wonderful and tastes…not so wonderful. I’m not sure what it is about this but I’m really not liking it. It’s too herbal. The blackberry isn’t assertive enough at all despite being very present in the scent, and oddly the sage isn’t taking over either. What I’m left with is a sort of watery, fake-grape flavor that I have no intention of drinking again.

ROT freebie, and I’m always happy to get free tea.
Not one I would have bought on my own, though it sounds generally like something I’d like (fruity).
I can smell the blackberry more than I can taste it, but I do get a reasonably strong sage flavor. It was fun to try, but I’m not going to be buying this. It served it purpose as an afternoon cup of caffine, though!

gmathis

Haven’t had this in ages, but I’ve always liked it.

TeaBrat

This used to be one of my favorite teas a long time ago…

Veronica

This used to be the tea I’d take with me on road trips. I always liked it.

If all I had to choose from was ROT, this wouldn’t be a bad one to pick. They managed to do a fruit tea without the hibiscus and the sage is an interesting idea to pair with berries. There is a slight bitterness on the back of my tongue. I can taste the blackberry but have a hard time picking out the sage. Good idea, but poor execution.

So yet another tea from the Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box (pt. 1).
I really rather loved this tea and need to get my hands on more. I had this tea on October 8th and Jan 28th. I really had fun having this tea and was able to re-steep it too, so more awesome!

Dry leaf: the tea was in a tea bag, but i was still able to note the sweet scent, which I find really alluring to my senses.
Steeped: When steeped, the scent is both sweet and subtle. The water is a dark color, brown with purple-y tints. The tea itself is both sweet and surprisingly light for a black tea. The taste is also solid in the the berry sense.

I really found the tea’s taste perfect, it was not too sweet flavor-wise. It was very soothing. And like I said, it is alluring and entrancing to taste and smell.

jeweledthumb

I put some of the decaf blackberry sage in the recent version of the box which I think made it’s way to you fairly recently. Curious if they taste the same or similar.

Calla

I’’ll Let you know…. thats a tea that’s for sure in the pile of teas to try. And I like a good decaf once in a while… so we shall see if it is as good as this one _

This tea is a nice blend of blackberry and sage. I am glad that the sage does not overpower the blackberry. This is a nice ice tea. I can definitely drink this on a hot summer day.

Great Canadian TTB

This one sounded very interesting however my experiences with Republic of Tea have not been all that great. Luckily, I was able to grab a teabag from the box and give it a try.

This is actually much better than the other RoTs I have had but still nothing mind blowing. I am finding the blackberry comes through more in smell than taste and the sage is only noticeable if I search for it. However, it is pleasant enough that I am enjoying the cup. I doubt I would have it again though. Thank you Jeweled Thumb for the chance to try this tea.