Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Cash & Chris

From The Spice and Tea Exchange

Washington state pears blended with Ceylon and China black tea are accented further with sweet caramel bits. Also great as a dessert tea. Contains caffeine.

About The Spice and Tea Exchange View company

This is one of those teas that gets pushed towards the back of my tea stash and as a result I don’t pick it too often. I think part of this is because I’m not a huge fan of The Spice and Tea Exchange. I LOVE going into their store and I love the little sample teas that they have, but more often than not I get home and steep those cute little samples and I find them lacking in some way, or often with an odd flavor. (Wondering is this could be because they are in a store with so many other prominent scents from the other spices, etc.?) Anyway, I wasn’t too picky this morning and just randomly chose a tea from my drawer and this was the lucky winner. I didn’t have much hope while steeping it, and even made a second container of my old standby tea to take along with me to school just in case I didn’t like this one. I’m happy to say that I was surprised! This isn’t a tea that is bursting with flavor or that has a lot of fun undertones that you want to keep sipping just to figure it out – it’s more of just an all-around pleasant tea. It may be one that I turn to a little more frequently after my unexpected experience with it this morning.

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves and twigs with a few pieces of dried pears.
-Dry leaves smell faintly of fresh pears. Tea liquor aroma is of strong black tea with a hint of sweet caramel and fruit.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium golden brown color.
-Earthy and malty flavor with a subtle caramel finish. Very light pear aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Fair tea. Faint flavor of sweet pear and caramel with a light maltiness.

This is my last backlog from ysterday – which means i officially ended my evening with 250 teas. What i love most about our little contest is that we’re both going to be rewarded with smaller cupboards at the end of it haha

This tea was a pretty big disappointment (sent to me via terri). No pear, very little caramel, nice base? i guess. sigh

Terri HarpLady

That was one of the teas from the HHTTB. I somehow though it would be amazing, & was sorely disappointed as well.

go back to bed! lol and yeah.. booo on tea that isn’t yummy

Terri HarpLady

I’d be glad to go back to sleep, but I have a wedding to play this afternoon, so it’s time to get moving! :)

From the HHTTB
(Shrudging shoulders) meh
I really had hope for this one

Awe…this one sounded tasty!

Awkward Soul

I had a sip of this one, I agree on the meh.

Backlog… #1 of many :)
I never should have purchased this tea. It smelled a bit musty, which is usually my first hint that it won’t agree with me.
For some reason, I get caramel… a whole lot of vanilla (not my thing) and a sugary sort of pear note way off in the background.
Right off the bat I knew it would be too strong for me, so I gave my Aunt the first steep and took the second one for myself. It was ok that way, better than the sip I had of the first steep anyhow!
There isn’t much else to say about it, for me. I will do my best to find this one a good home. Don’t let my standoff with vanilla keep you away! any takers?

TeaBrat

Are you getting your aunt addicted to tea? ;-)

Indigobloom

hehe kindof! she is happy with whatever I put in front of her. It’s nice to have someone to share it with :P

Camiah

Oooh, a whole lot of vanilla? That might be right up my alley. It sounds intriguing.

Indigobloom

really? shucks and I just left Florida to! I could send some to you… if you’d like?

Here’s Hoping Teabox! How did I manage to pick two ceylons in one day? I swear I probably haven’t even had two ceylons in the past year. Anyway, the caramel here is condensed milk and it certainly tastes like a condensed milk — not caramel. Not really any pear flavor. And not actual caramel pieces that I can see. But the condensed milk is comforting and the black tea base is perfect for it. The flavor just lingers… like I actually added milk. It’s a condensed milk tea – not caramel pear! But I like it. My rating might be a bit high, even if isn’t pear or caramel. But condensed milk teas always seemed unappetizing to me – not so!

ETA: The second steep tastes exactly the same!

I only recently started learning to enjoy flavored teas, and I’ve found a number I liked. My philosophy for flavored teas: go strong, or go home. This one needs to go home.

A little bit of a letdown. I’ve been wanting to find a nice pear tea for a while, but this tea is not it. The pear flavor is there, but it’s weak and overpowered by the black tea, which is more bitter than a dessert tea should be.
And caramel? What caramel?

It’s miserably warm outside but I’ve decided it’s time for a cup of tea regardless. The Spice and Tea Exchange’s Pear Caramel is the last tea I have yet to try from a recent outing, and I’ve been eager to taste test it.

Brewed it’s a lovely translucent amber color, and smells like…. tea. Hm. Upon tasting, it’s sweet, but not the dripping with juice, wet pear I was hopinh for. There’s a very very subtle burnt sugar flavor, which I’m assuming is the caramel. There’s also something very floral about it, though I can’t pin point it.

I’m underwhelmed. I’m going to try a second steeping on the leaves once I’m done with this pot and let them sit longer and see how that goes.