Jasmine Pearls

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by benben

• “Thanks to *Batrachoid* for this sample This tea is really light in jasmine. So this would be good for people who would like a lighter jasmine taste. For me, I thought it was pretty good, but I...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 767 tasting notes
  • “One, two, what is this one? Ninth steeping? These invincable littles spheres have been soothing my headache since yesterday afternoon. The earthy green base lends the right level of stoutness to...” Read full tasting note
    Batrachoid 177 tasting notes
  • “This is my first experience with Jasmine and I have been experimenting with greens. I am pleasantly surprised by the nice flavor of Jasmine. Very enjoyable experience. Steeped x3 with good results.” Read full tasting note
    cpstump 38 tasting notes
  • “so light and jasmine-y. brews perfectly every time and i can get about 3 infusions out of it. Saw it at the tea bar at my local grocery store and tried to resist, but I kept coming back just to...” Read full tasting note
    ravens 7 tasting notes

From The Tao of Tea

Native Name: Mou Li Hua Cha

Origin: Hunan Province, China

Plucking Season: Late Summer

Introduction: Jasmine Pearls are a fine representive of the art of handcrafted teas.

Select Leaves
The process in making Jasmine Pearls begins by plucking only the newly sprouted spring season leaves of the tea plant. Although the top bud and two leaves are plucked along with the stem, the lower leaves are discarded and only the bud and long stem are retained.

The Art
Using traditional bamboo trays, the buds are ‘withered’ in direct sun or over low heat to reduce moisture and make them supple and conducive to rolling.

Handrolling
Once adequate suppleness is achieved, top bud and stem are gently twisted in-between the thumb and index finger to bring the shape into that of a ‘pearl’. It takes at least 2000 pearls to make one pound of tea.

Jasmine Infusion
The rolled pearls are then heat infused with jasmine flowers and the process repeated several times to achieve the desired strength of aroma. High grade Jasmine Pearls undergo this process at least five times.

Season and Freshness
Although green teas are made at different times during the year, the most flavorful are typically spring plucked. Yet, the most fragrant jasmine flowers blossom in summer. A lot of skill is therefore needed by Jasmine Pearl tea makers to strike a good balance between the leaf and the flowers.

Pairing
The very fragrant, sweet and smooth Jasmine Pearls pair well with slightly spicy, savory and oily foods. It is an ideal tea for use in dessert recipes.

Flavor Profile: Very pleasant, sweet, fragrant green tea.

Ingredients: Green Tea Leaves, Jasmine Flower Petals

About The Tao of Tea View company

Thanks to Batrachoid for this sample

This tea is really light in jasmine. So this would be good for people who would like a lighter jasmine taste. For me, I thought it was pretty good, but I usually like stronger jasmine. It wasn’t quite as sweet as lots of other jamsine teas I have tried.

It was good for a relaxing Sunday afternoon!

tigress_al

Oh yeah, and the Riders won today! That was also awesome!

One, two, what is this one? Ninth steeping? These invincable littles spheres have been soothing my headache since yesterday afternoon. The earthy green base lends the right level of stoutness to thefloral comfort of jasmine. It tastes like the start of autumn.

Cofftea

Jasmine is now one of my favorites, rather odd considering when I started drinking loose tea I exclaimed, “NO FLOWERS! I DON’T WANT TO DRINK MY GRANDMA’S PERFUME!” lol.

so light and jasmine-y. brews perfectly every time and i can get about 3 infusions out of it. Saw it at the tea bar at my local grocery store and tried to resist, but I kept coming back just to smell it. Finally caved and don’t regret it one bit.

Good pearls, have had better. Sometimes was a little bitter or weak, but maybe that was me.

We tasted the two varieties of Tao of Tea jasmine pearls side by side at the shop. Both are delicious! But, I favor the cheaper ones. It’s a more earthy flavor. The expensive ones are sweeter and have a stronger floral scent.

My standard cup of tea. I adore this.

The pearls have a very strong and nice jasmine scent, but the taste is more mild and not overpowering. A very pleasant and enjoyable jasmine tea. Not at all soapy. The jasmine seems to work with the tea rather than over it.

The pearls themselves are good, but not the greatest I have seen. They do break up into little pieces more than I would like with a tea such as this. I like to just add a few pearls to my cup, add water, drink, and add more water as needed with teas like this, but all the little broken leaf pieces make it more difficult than it is with more intact pearls. Still, most of the leaves are fairly whole.

F. I over-steeped this one by 1.5 mins. I wanted 4 instead of 5.5mins, but the tea still came out well! I’m not detecting any astringency… just that rich jasmine taste! Hopefully the second steep is flavorful, despite slightly over-steeping the first.