Black Spiral

Autumn Leaf Pile, Clay, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Mushrooms, Pecan, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by Joshua Jones

From The Tao of Tea

Black Spiral is a malty, gold leaf black tea from one of the main tea growing regions of China. (Hunan Province, China)

Very buttery texture similar to honey, full bodied, sweet potatoes flavor with subtle roasted undertones.

About The Tao of Tea View company

A true gem I discovered thanks to Steepster. So smooth it’s like drinking hot chocolate. yummm

Boiling
Laurence Burris

How long did you have it steep? By the way thanks to you & TeaEqualsBliss I am really enjoying the world of tea. I tried a tea called Scottish Breakfast and a Robio (?), anyhow it was all very delicious & fun.

TeaEqualsBliss

I had a hunch you would enjoy this one!!!!

TeaBrat

@Laurence – I let it steep around 4-5 minutes. It does not get bitter very easily

Amariel

Oooh! This sounds great!

This is SO – GOOD!!! OMG! Amazing! Every time I try a new tea from the Tao of Tea, I think I’ve found their best of the best … and then I try another one and it is just as good (or perhaps better, it would be hard to say!)

But what I can say is that this is absolutely delicious. The buttery flavor is there – and it astounds me that this is a black tea with that kind of note, because I’m used to finding it in a green tea or an Oolong, but, I not many black teas possess this kind of buttery taste. It smells delightful.

This is definitely one I need to spend a little more time with! It is so awesome!

Oh!!!!!!!! I HOPE you have a lil bit left!? LOL

LiberTEAS

It’s going to be difficult to part with any of this … but I shall save a bit for you. :)

TeaEqualsBliss

teahee…thanks you are a peach!

I have been wanting to try this one and thanks to LiberTEAS I was able to TODAY! It smells very bold and chewy and malty and I just love it!

Taste-wise it’s a real gem too! Malty-YUM! It’s like a malty-black with buttery-lima-beans and sweet potatoes, ALMOST…I know that’s a random description but it’s the first few things that popped into my head and the flavor is out of this world! It really is!!!

By far one of my favorite teas. I love the golden color and the smoothness of this tea. I find myself drinking this after a long day at work mostly, and brew two or three cups when I can.

If you’ve enjoyed other “Gold Tipped” teas, my bet is you will enjoy this as well.

The flavor profile provided by Tao of Tea is spot on. I was particularly fond of the sweet potato undertones. This tea was fantastic and held up to repeated steeping without astringency as promised. Would drink again.

Finishing off a tin that I’ve stored for a long time – the flavors and aromas are muted compared to what they once were, but the smooth, autumnal character hasn’t changed.

Brewed in my black tea-filter-cup, I can’t fairly remark on the appearance of the liquor.

Distinctive almost vegetal aroma (mushrooms, dry wild grass, autumn leaves, etc.) leads into a malty palate entry with smooth almost nutty flavors joining in as we reach the creamy slightly sweet finish suggesting Japanese sweet potatoes with hints of mild honey. A bit more complexity is revealed as the tea cools, and a second steep yields nearly identical flavors as the first, but things quickly fade by the third infusion.

I’m curious about the origin of this tea – since it is from Guangxi I don’t think it is related to Biluochun (the famous Green Snail Spring tea sometimes called Green Spiral); I see Hojo sells a “Golden Bud” tea made from Ling-Yun Bai-hao, also from Guangxi, but that appears to be processed more like what Tao of Tea sells as “Emperor’s Gold” (from Yunnan). Sometimes more research just leads to greater confusion, so I’ll stop here.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Clay, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Mushrooms, Pecan, Sweet Potatoes

2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML