Bamboo Mountain

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kristin

• β€œI don't usually like my oolongs on the lighter greener side, rather preferring them to be the roasty dark chinese restaurant type variety, but I like this one. I went out to lunch today and...” Read full tasting note
    kristinthomas 302 tasting notes
  • β€œAn honest Oolong that lasts for many steepings. Clean and earthy, but not peaty - makes you really want to pay attention to it. Easy to brew, and delicious at any time of day.” Read full tasting note
    theorange 15 tasting notes

From The Tao of Tea

Native Name: Zhu Shan Oolong Cha
Origin: Zhu Shan, Taiwan

Plucking Season: Spring

Introduction: A lower oxidation, green oolong from Taiwan’s Zhu Shan “Bamboo Mountain”. Low oxidation and a light roasting contribute to this tea’s bright, floral fragrance and sweet, crisp body.

Sun Withering
In making Bamboo Mountain oolong only the newly sprouted leaves are plucked. They are then withered in the sun (weather permitting) or indoors on special bamboo trays for a few hours to reduce moisture.

Traditional Rolling
Once a suitable suppleness is achieved in the leaves, traditional rolling techniques (which include wrapping the leaves in cloth and binding it tightly into ball shape) are applied in conjunction with light roasting in a rotating tunnel roaster. Successive re-rolling and re-roastings are done to achieve the optimum shape and flavor. A final roast is given to complete the processing.

Judging Quality
Apart from elevation, season and age of the plants, oolongs can be evaluated by the quality of leaf and the processing art. The leaves should be tightly rolled and should not crumble with gentle pressure (crumbled leaf is a sign of over-roasting or stale leaf).

Flavor Profile: Full, sweet, floral fragrance in the classic Taiwan green oolong style. Lighter-bodied than the more roasted oolongs, but with an equally long finish and multi-layered character.

Ingredients: Oolong Tea Leaves.

About The Tao of Tea View company

I don’t usually like my oolongs on the lighter greener side, rather preferring them to be the roasty dark chinese restaurant type variety, but I like this one. I went out to lunch today and ordered the oolong tea. It came in a super cute cast iron teapot (now I want one of those and I want this tea). The tea was very light in color and had a floral jasmine like flavor to it. I think I drank 3 cups of it. Very nice tea.

Note – I’m not entirely sure it was from The Tao of Tea. It was about this color (in the pic) and it the description sounds right. The name of the tea is definitely Bamboo Mountain so odds are I’ve made a correct guess about the company.

Kristin

Confirmed with restaurant that the tea was indeed from Tao of Tea.

An honest Oolong that lasts for many steepings. Clean and earthy, but not peaty – makes you really want to pay attention to it. Easy to brew, and delicious at any time of day.