Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat

• “This is quite a nice Da Hong Pao, especially given the price I paid for it which was only $6 an ounce. Considerably much less than some of the same types of tea I have been sampling from the...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2339 tasting notes
  • “This tea smelled good while brewing. I was expecting a hearty roasted tea, but I was disappointed. The flavor isn't as roasty as it smells, just nutty. I generally don't like strong nutty...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 471 tasting notes

From The Tao of Tea

Also known as ‘Big Red Cape’, the Da Hong Pao is probably the best known oolong of China. Grown within Wuyishan, a scenic area stretching along Fujian’s northernmost border with Jiangxi Province. It comprises 36 graceful rock peaks and a twisting, curving river called Nine Bend Creek.

Oolong Varietals
Making oolong teas requires selecting suitable plant varietals and precise leaf rolling and roasting techniques.

Only a few original plants of Da Hong Pao still remain within Wuyishan and have been maintained by the same married couple for the last 25 years.

Most tea gardens comprise second and third generation strains of the original Da Hong Pao plants.

Pan Fired Technique
In making this tea, long stylish leaves are twisted sideways and then pan-fired to stop oxidation. The leaves are baked in the final stages of processing.

About The Tao of Tea View company

This is quite a nice Da Hong Pao, especially given the price I paid for it which was only $6 an ounce. Considerably much less than some of the same types of tea I have been sampling from the region… but also not as complex and delicious as some other ones i’ve tried.

Regarding flavor it is mostly sweet and honeylike, exhibits some minerality and lots of stone fruit. Delicate flavor. Very peachy and juicy is how I would describe this one. Steeped at around 180 degrees for 2 minutes. I would recommend this for someone who is new to this style of tea as it is quite mellow and soothing. Beautiful amber color.

I might get some more of this as more of an everyday tea, it is quite a good value.

This tea smelled good while brewing. I was expecting a hearty roasted tea, but I was disappointed. The flavor isn’t as roasty as it smells, just nutty. I generally don’t like strong nutty flavors.

Thanks for letting me try it out Amy oh (^^)