Rose Petal Black

Rose
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

From The Tao of Tea

Origin: China

Introduction: Also known as ‘Meigui Hongcha’, Rose Petal Black is a blend of the popular Chinese black tea ’Keemun’ and fragrant red rose petals.

Robust Keemun
The small leaf tea from Qimen county of Anhui province is best known as the main ingredient for the popular ‘English Breakfast’ blends.

Red Rose Petals
Although there is a whole universe of rose varieties and flavors, the ideal for combining with Keemun are the red roses native to Qimen county. They have a distinct, sweet, cooling aroma that lends great balance to the blend.

Pairing
Rose Petal Black pairs well with slightly spicy and oily foods. It also makes a good iced tea. One of our favorite recipes is to prepare a sauce from Rose Petal Black and pour it over vanilla ice cream.

Best Season
Late Summer is ideal for blending Rose Petal Black. This is when the flowers are in full bloom and at their most fragrant. Since it is a hardy black tea, it holds up well over the months.

About The Tao of Tea View company

Rose Petal Black was one of my stock teas at school this year, since it’s just sweet enough for me to drink without added milk or sugar if necessary. That said, it’s not a particularly stellar tea; I’m not sure I’d buy it again often.

I’m so glad I tried this at home last night because it meant I got to share it with my boyfriend and try it both plain and as a latte. One of my coworkers got me the vanilla latte powder from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for Christmas. As it’s one of those things that I really like but can’t justify the cost of, I am using it sparingly. I happened to have some milk on hand (another rare occurrence) and figured that a creamy vanilla rose latte sounded fan-freaking-tastic. And oh boy was it ever! Granted, I went very easy on the milk, adding only maybe a tablespoon to my 12 oz cup, out of concern that it might otherwise overpower the rose too much. It was perfect.

As a plain cup, the base could be tasted but seemed mostly to be keeping the rose from tasting too “grandma’s perfume.” So, that was good :)

I was also able to get two very nice steeps out of the same leaves, which makes me very happy because I could see myself drinking lots of this at work.

Flavors: Rose

I love rose tea. I have three separate rose teas on-hand right now. This one I picked up as a little present to myself while I was out gift shopping. It smells so wonderfully rosy when dry that I can just sit there with my face in the tin.

Normally I put sugar in my tea, but this? This needs nothing. The rose flavor is strong enough that it comes through without any help. Sometimes I’ll have it with sugar when I want something sweet, but it’s not necessary.