500 Mile Chai (organic)

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Casey
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 9 oz / 266 ml

From The Tao of Tea

Chai is an integral part of life in India and simply translates to ‘Tea’ in Hindi. Calling it ‘Chai tea’ is considered redundant. In India, ‘Chaiwallahs’ (tea vendors) are present at street corners brewing basic black tea with spices.

500 Mile Chai
The tale of ‘500 Mile Chai’ originates from the many late night truck drivers stopping at small Chai stands ‘Dhabas’ on the highway and asking for really strong, sweet Chai to help them drive long distances (in a humorous tone – ‘for another 500 miles’).

Choice of the Leaf
The grade of tea commonly used for Chai is known as ‘Cut, Tear and Curl (CTC)’, representing a heavily rolled leaf pellet with very low moisture content. It is ideal for boiling, which is the traditional way to make Chai.

Golden Brew
Once the leaf has been optimally boiled, adding milk and sugar provides a delightful ‘Golden Glow’.

Organic Spices
We hand blend the black tea with organic spices – ginger, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon.

Chai Utensils
Chaiwallahs in India offer chai in simple kettles and small tapered glasses. ‘Kasoras’ (Chai Cups) made of low fired clay are also famous for imparting a distinct ‘Earthiness’ to the brew. After drinking, people will typically throw away the kasoras.

Flavor Profile: Strong, malty, spicy.

About The Tao of Tea View company

I apologize – I no longer recall who shared this with me. Thanks, if it was you!

The tea is definitely noticeable though I don’t get any specific notes from it, like malt or anything. The cardamom is the strongest note here but strangely, from seeing the number of pods in this blend, the spicing as a whole is not terribly strong. It’s not bad, but there is an odd aftertaste to it that I’m not sure I care for enough to put this on my wishlist.

Made with 4 oz light cream and 4 oz water, 2 teaspoons chai & 1 tablespoon sugar. If I had more of this I’d try it with honey next time.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I got this at HomeGoods, thinking that I’d give it a shot. I do love most chai at any rate. I was not expecting it to be this good of tea. I love it as a latte with some honey. It smells amazing and no one flavor is really overpowering.

For a non-chai drinker, this tea was purchased largely for my steeping mug when I wanted to carry tea to a meeting without a teapot and the associated mess. It serves that purposes especially well as you can sweeten it to taste and it does not taste foul after steeping for a while. An almost floral smell, it has a bit of bite but pleasant tasting overall.