Nilgiri Blue

Black Teas
Grass, Smooth, Tea
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

• “This sample came from *cookies*. Another Nilgiri tea to try! The leaves of my sample and much more broken than the picture implies, but they still have that light & feathery Nilgiri look about...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 966 tasting notes
  • “1.7 g in 10 oz of water I give this an 8/10 on the boldness scale. This tea could easily handle a touch of milk and sugar but is sweet enough to drink on it's ow n. A little woody, a little bit...” Read full tasting note
    chai-jenn 104 tasting notes

From The Tao of Tea

The Nilgiris or Blue Mountains are a range of mountains in the South Indian states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Tea culture is eminent in these serene mountains. Tea is grown at elevations of 1000 to 2500 metres. The landscape is quite unlike the rest of India, marked by rolling hills covered with dense vegetation and tea gardens. Many portions of the hills are preserved as natural reserve forests.

High Elevation
Nilgiri Blue is a high elevation tea (Grown at 8000 feet). High elevation tea plants grow slower and generally provide lighter, more refined flavors.

100% Organic
The tea garden is recognized as one of India’s premier organic tea estates. Established in 1922, it remains firmly committed to sustainable cultivation methods and conservation of the local ecosystems

About The Tao of Tea View company

This sample came from cookies. Another Nilgiri tea to try! The leaves of my sample and much more broken than the picture implies, but they still have that light & feathery Nilgiri look about them. Color is a dark and warm chocolate brown. The leaves smell of dry, sweet hay.

This tea smells and tastes rather generic to me. When I say generic, I mean that it reminds me of unsweetened iced tea that you would get at a restaurant, or Lipton tea bags. It’s not unpleasant to drink, there just isn’t a lot of flavor aside from that plain ol’
“black tea” that I don’t know how to describe. There’s a touch of grassiness perhaps. It’s not bitter at all, and quite smooth, so it has that going for it. Overall, just not enough flavor for me!

Flavors: Grass, Smooth, Tea

1.7 g in 10 oz of water

I give this an 8/10 on the boldness scale. This tea could easily handle a touch of milk and sugar but is sweet enough to drink on it’s ow n. A little woody, a little bit of fruit, and overall very pleasant.

Huh. Apparently this is my 100th tasting note. Took me long enough.

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 g 10 OZ / 295 ML