Pu-er Tuo Cha

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

• “I really enjoyed unwrapping this little parcel of tastiness. I didn't know what to expect from this tea, as I have not had a lot of experience with pu'erh's. My first brew of this parcel - was for...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 226 tasting notes
  • “I just picked up some more of this from my grocery store, and I tasted something I never tasted before - a chocolaty note! DELICIOUS. Maybe i'm noticing it because this new batch of tea is...” Read full tasting note
    asg32000 31 tasting notes
  • “The tea tastes and smells exactly like the leaves did. It is dark and rich with intense earthy tones. It is like mixing dark hot chocolate with espresso, taking the sweet and the bitter out of...” Read full tasting note
    TeaSnobbery 20 tasting notes
  • “I lived in my car for a few months last year as I drove around the country exploring and trying to figure out where I wanted to live. Whenever I stayed the night at a national park, I would wake up...” Read full tasting note
    wyoumans 33 tasting notes

From The Tao of Tea

Native Name: Xiao Tuo Cha

Origin: Yunnan Province, China

Introduction: Made from the large leaf ‘Dayeh’ tea plant varietal, that is better known as Camellia Sinensis ‘Assamica’. The Tuocha refers to a family of bowl shaped teas, commonly available as Green tea Tuocha, Black tea Tuocha and Puer Tuocha.

In making the Puer Tuocha, more mature leaves of the tea plant are selected in summer, sun-dried, steamed, and then shaped into small bowls. The process of shaping of the leaves has changed over the years from ‘old-style’ wooden molds or hand pressing, to more mechanized and automated steps. The leaves are processed with a fair amount of moisture so as to allow a natural fermentation to occur and darken their color. Some tea processors will let the leaves undergo this fermentation for a month to achieve the desired flavor. Individually wrapped with paper, the Tuocha are an ideal size (3 grams) for individual serving.

Flavor Profile: Mini Puer Tuocha has a characteristic full-bodied and earthy flavor. Can endure long steeping times without gaining any astringency and can be re-infused at least three times.

About The Tao of Tea View company

I really enjoyed unwrapping this little parcel of tastiness. I didn’t know what to expect from this tea, as I have not had a lot of experience with pu’erh’s.
My first brew of this parcel – was for 3 minutes in almost boiling water. When I looked into my cup I saw an espresso coloured liquor, that looked like it would be just as thick as an espresso. Brewed aroma is deep, earthy and nutty.
The taste of this parcel is exactly how it smells: deep, thick, earthy and nutty. It’s good!
Am only on first steeping…will rate again later.

I just picked up some more of this from my grocery store, and I tasted something I never tasted before – a chocolaty note! DELICIOUS. Maybe i’m noticing it because this new batch of tea is fresher…idk – but this tastes even better than I remembered it!

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

The tea tastes and smells exactly like the leaves did. It is dark and rich with intense earthy tones. It is like mixing dark hot chocolate with espresso, taking the sweet and the bitter out of both.What is left is comforting and caffeinated. This is a great morning tea because it wakes you up a lot like coffee with less caffeine and a better flavor.

For a more detailed tasting note check out my blog: http://teasnobbery.com/2010/07/09/tea-review-puer-tuocha-from-tao-of-tea/

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more

I lived in my car for a few months last year as I drove around the country exploring and trying to figure out where I wanted to live. Whenever I stayed the night at a national park, I would wake up early, boil water on my camp stove and make cup after cup of Tao of Tea’s Pu-erh Tuo Cha. Such an amazing way to start a day whether among the ominous Colorado rockies, deep in the evergreen forests of Washington, or lost in the Iowa corn fields.

First some Dead Guy Whiskey, then some Daily Red wine.

How to finish the night?

Some of most delicious tea the great spirit could ferment for us: pu-er, and it’s certified organic!

~paganbuddha