Golden Pu-Erh (Organic)

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by moonandtree

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I tried this tea during my quest for that strong, bold, yet rounded black tea taste that I crave. A staff member at The Tea Haus recommended their Golden Pu-Erh for its musty edge. I tried two...” Read full tasting note
    moonandtree 5 tasting notes

From The Tea Haus

Certified Organic. Golden Pu-erh has been aged for five years in a dark cave in Yunnan Province. This aging process in a relatively high humidity environment has mellowed the elemental character of the tea when compared to young Pu-erh (aged about 1 year). As with wine, young pu-erh is considered the least valuable whereas pu-erh 5 years or older is more highly prized. Interestingly the taste of pu-erh becomes more mellow with age and perhaps more acceptable to the western palate.

Hint of mustiness with a bit of earthy character sometimes described as old or elemental. Compared to young pu-erh this tea is quite mild. Our aged Pu-erh tea is sure to wow you!

About The Tea Haus View company

1 Tasting Note

I tried two cups of this tea on two separate occasions, each brewed differently. The Tea Haus’ brewing guidelines suggest a water temperature range of approx. 85C-93C, and a steeping time of 10 seconds to 2 minutes. For the second cup I increased water temperature and steeping time to brew a stronger tea – this tea is VERY sensitive to variations in the brewing process.

Weak or strong, however, I was not a fan. It’s been a week or so since the last cup, so I would be going on memory if I tried to describe the taste exactly, but I think this is the problem: it tastes like it’s been sitting in a cave, fermenting, for five years. I know that’s the point, but it doesn’t work for me: I tasted (and smelled) mould, mildew, damp, dirt, and chill when I drank this tea. It was kind of like rummaging around in a really old basement or antique store, minus the discovery of exciting or valuable treasures. I didn’t finish either cup.