Lapsang Souchong

Edit tea info Last updated by noname

• “Today I rolled a "1" in the fabulous Geek Pride game created so wonderfully by *RABS*. Right now I have only two packets left and both are "8's". I was, of course, thrilled to see a Lapsang...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “This had a lighter smoke scent than what I'm used to. I'd put the scent as even mellower than Golden Moon's LS. The fragrance of the cup was also smoky, but without the fragrance of pine that I...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 357 tasting notes

From The Tea Smith

Not for weak tastebuds, Lapsang Souchong is a traditional Chinese black tea that has been dried over a pine fire. Since tea absorbs the flavors around it, guess what it tastes like… Actually, this selection has a balance between the smoke and tea tones, so it is not overwhelming.
The Tea Smith
Omaha, NE
www.theteasmith.com

About The Tea Smith View company

Today I rolled a “1” in the fabulous Geek Pride game created so wonderfully by RABS. Right now I have only two packets left and both are “8’s”. I was, of course, thrilled to see a Lapsang Souchong because that’s my personal favorite default tea. But because it had a label of “1” I thought that there might be a flaw.

Lapsang Souchong does not always work. It ALMOST always works but not always. I don’t know, for example, what that stuff is that Tea Farm sells under the name. This is better, but I gave Tea Farm a rating of “3” out of “100”. I wanted to give it a “0” but the furthest to the left I could go was a 3. I digress.

This is a better Lapsang Souchong, but I would call it only marginally better than Tea Farm. This one does have some taste but I kept drinking it and hoping to get something more. I felt a bit like a Marlboro smoker who was suddenly trying the lightest cigarette out there—-(not having been in the situation, my metaphor may not work). Sometimes you see smokers frantically sucking on their cigarettes as if they are trying to pull in even more tobacco. Well, I was slurping at this tea trying to find more flavor, more smoke, more something. It’s got enough taste to remind me that I love a good Lapsang Souchong but not enough taste to provide any satisfaction.

I felt glad to sample this tea because I am collecting Lapsang Souchong experiences and it’s good to know the gamut.

Thank you, Rabs for giving me a new one to try!

Rabs

I’m so glad to get your opinion on this one! This is from the shop where I had such negative customer service experiences, so I was concerned that those associations were tainting my experience of this tea. I now feel that my scathing review of this one was based on the tea itself and nothing else.

This had a lighter smoke scent than what I’m used to. I’d put the scent as even mellower than Golden Moon’s LS. The fragrance of the cup was also smoky, but without the fragrance of pine that I enjoy.

Oh my. Um…so it’s lacking the sweet undercurrents that I love in the few lapsangs that I’ve had. It has a harsh, almost stinging bitterness that’s assaulting my mouth – especially at the back of my throat. I keep clearing my throat. That astringency comes and goes (one time I came close to tossing my cup), and it’s the first time I’d call a LS “ashy.” It’s like I rinsed out an ashtray and drank the runoff water. I am very glad that I only purchased a sample. I’ll finish it off over time, but there will be no resteeps here (I did do a resteep today with very little change in taste). My temp accuracy (or lack thereof) should be fixed by next week when my new electric kettle arrives (squee!) – so I will try this again with the for sure recommended steep temp and will update if my rating changes as a result. GA

So, to sum up:

SUM UP = Classic!!! LOL

Rabs

What can I say? I call it like I taste it (or them in this case). =^.^=

Stephanie

lol!! Boo to Tea Smith’s LS!