Red Rocks

Rooibos Tea
Cherry, Creamy, Tart, Tobacco, Rooibos, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by mindala
Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 9 oz / 280 ml

From The Tea Spot

Our blend of naturally caffeine–free South African red rooibos, vanilla, and almond bits is an herbal delight! Rooibos is full of antioxidants and healthy minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, and fluoride. It has a wonderfully smooth flavor, and is a great cold buster as well as thirst quencher. It brews into a dark red liquor and has a naturally sweet, earthy scent, reminiscent of pipe–tobacco. You cannot over–steep this tea (the longer the better!) and it is fantastic by itself, or with cream and a bit of sweetener. Red Rocks is the perfect, healthy, all-around herbal tea – a favorite amongst athletes and as mom’s choice for children.

About The Tea Spot View company

This is one of the better flavored rooibos teas I’ve found. It’s simple, but tasty. The vanilla and almond flavors are just right and very natural tasting. I’m very glad I finally decided to purchase this one. Prepared with stevia.

I got a couple samples of this tea, and I love it! Will definitely buy more some day. I really enjoy the smoothness of rooibos, and the vanilla and almond make this a nice healthy treat for any time of day.

I have not been a fan of rooibos, but this is really good! Dry blend has the scent of tobacco and vanilla with just a hint of almond. The vanilla aroma and taste carry over into the deep amber brew with just a slight nuttiness. Very mellow with a natural sweetness.

I was excited to try this tea because of the vanilla flavor. However, I did not like it at all. It tasted to me like straight-up vanilla extract (too much of a liquor flavor). It seems to have great reviews from everyone else, but it isn’t for me.

I really enjoy this tea. I knew I would like it the second I opened the tin. It smelled like cherry tobacco! The smell of it brewed is just as good. This is one of my favorite rooibos blends. I love almond and vanilla together always a yummy combination. It is quite sweet by itself (which is how I normally drink it) but tastes delicious with honey or as a tea latte.

This is so delicious! The vanilla is really easy to smell in the dry leaf, so it’s not surprising that it would be detectable in the brew. There’s a small bit of almonds in the tea, but not nearly as much as vanilla. The natural sweetness in the rooibos and the vanilla just play off each other here; it’s really delicious.

Great iced and hot, usually in the middle of the day.

I have strong feelings about this tisane. I didn’t really think I was difficult to please with rooibos until I had this tisane. I’ve liked rooibos for years. My entry point was Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Vanilla. Then in 2008 I lived in South Africa near Cape Town for half a year and got to try lots of local blends from the farmers in the Cedarberg Mountains, the cream of the crop. South Africans drink a lot of rooibos. It is available nearly everywhere you go to dine and is a frequent refreshment at events. I had already liked it before my trip there, but I came to really love it during that time.

Let’s get on with this Red Rocks review though. Dry, the needles smell like vanilla and pipe tobacco. While brewing, the aroma is rather intoxicating. Oh, if only this tisane tasted like it smelled, It’d be heaven. The scent is like warm sugar cookies or a packet of fruit and cream flavored instant oatmeal after you’ve added the water.

The flavor, unfortunately has some major offenses. First of all… I don’t taste rooibos. I don’t taste vanilla. I don’t taste almonds. Funny, since those are the only three ingredients! What I taste is something akin to cherry pipe tobacco. It’s creamy, but tart, oh so tart. Adding sugar only makes it more tart, and it leaves a tartness in my mouth for several minutes after I drink it. To me this is the worst aspect of this tisane. I end up salivating like I just sucked on a lemon, or like there’s a penny in my mouth.

I have never had tisane with almond pieces in it before, and from this experience alone I don’t think I’ll ever trust another tisane with nuts in it at all. I felt skeptical at first and imagined they were filler because as hard and thick as nuts are, I didn’t imagine they’d really saturate and release much flavor in just a few minutes steeping in hot water. I think I was wrong though, because I couldn’t figure out where this tisane gets its tartness from until I ate one of the almonds. Yuck! I should mention that this tin of tisane (which I purchased at Whole Foods) doesn’t have an expiration date or manufacturing date on it, which should have been a red flag for me. Nuts expire. I didn’t even know that until about a year ago when someone mentioned it in a nutrition class. Then I went to taste months-old nuts I had in my pantry and realized… wow, they do taste off after a while. The almonds in this tisane taste really off to me, as if they may just be old and acrid. Or maybe they’re just not great almonds to begin with. I can only wonder.

I should have returned this to the store when I first drank it, since they are pretty lax about returns if you don’t like something, but I live far away from there and don’t have reliable transportation, so I decided to just give it some more chances. I have since removed all the little almond pieces from the tisane and find that it is a bit better than before, though it doesn’t taste much different and it still does not have the signature woody qualities I am used to in rooibos. I find that adding sugar and cream together makes this tisane more enjoyable for me, but it still has that lingering tartness that just kills me. I’m not a purist in the sense that I won’t add sugar or cream to a tea or tisane, but I am a purist in the sense that if I can’t drink a tea or tisane WITHOUT cream or sugar, then to hell with it. Rooibos has always been a gentle and refreshing drink to me with nothing offensive about it. The fact that this blend has an offensive quality to it is a major bummer, and as rooibos goes, this wasn’t exactly a reasonably priced one either.

I tried it with varying amounts of tea and varying times and could never really find a balance, so…. meh.

I’m on a quest now to find a rooibos that is perfect for me, and will be following some leads from other reviews and a forum post I made. Wish me luck!

Flavors: Cherry, Creamy, Tart, Tobacco

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 5 OZ / 147 ML
CherryJam

It’s quite possible that the almonds had gone off, especially seeing as there was no expiration date, who knows how old it was. I had something similar with a strawberry tea containing yoghurt pieces, tasted sour and rancid.

Lion

It’s certainly odd. I wonder how grocers are required to handle products with no expiration date? For that matter, I didn’t know grocers are even able to carry products for food or drink consumption that have no expiration date other than bulk items.

From the Lewis and Clark TTB.

It’s been a while since I’ve found a flavor tea that I’ve liked so much. Vanilla and almond work so well with rooibos, it’s like it’s meant to be. Both flavorings are strong enough to barely overtake the rooibos, but not overwhelmingly so. Yum. Great for autumn, but also seems good for a year round.

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Cheri

I really like this tea. In fact, I’m drinking this tea now. It’s a good night time tea.

KiwiDelight

This is such an “om nom nom” tea.

Lewis & Clarke TTB

Another Tea Sparrow tea from Cheri! I’ve been curious about this tea for a little while, as I always am about anything almond or vanilla-related. There are a few pieces of almond mixed in with the rooibos itself. Dry scent is quite sweet and I can definitely smell vanilla. The instructions recommended a tablespoon of tea (?!) but that sounded ridiculous to me, so I halved it for my 8 ounce cup.

Once brewed, it smells like rooibos (woody, etc.) with vanilla and the tiniest hint of marzipan. Unfortunately, this basically tastes like rooibos to me… Maybe with a little bit of vanilla, but not enough. And I definitely don’t get any almond. Oh almond teas, why must you always disappoint? :(

Flavors: Rooibos, Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cheri

Sorry you didn’t like this one. I love it. I do agree that Tea Sparrow makes ridiculous suggestions in their instructions. The Tea Spot recommends only 1t, but I usually go a little over that.

I like rooibos, though, but not everyone does.

Cameron B.

I don’t mind rooibos in blends, but it’s not my favorite as a main flavor.

Tealizzy

There’s a really good almond black tea by Queen Mary Tea. It’s called almond cream.

Cameron B.

Thanks Tealizzy, I’ll wishlist that one. :)