Edit tea info Last updated by Cait

• “Thank you, Cait, for the sample. I'm liking this tea. The dry tea was alarming because it reeked of maraschino cherries. I loved that odor when I was 8 years old and prone to stealing one or...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “Okay, "sour" isn't really the right word. There's something going on here which I'm experiencing as neither bitter nor sweet, though, and I can't seem to mesh it with my "caramel tea"...” Read full tasting note
    Cait 216 tasting notes

From The Tea Table

Caramel owes much of its legacy to the famous chocolatier, Milton Hershey. Before branching into chocolate, Milton brought a confection normally made by grandmothers to national attention. He formed the Lancaster Caramel Company and then sold it in 1900, thus creating the American Caramel Company. Made with simply butter, vanilla, and sugar, the taste of caramel is truly delicious.

Our Caramel Black Tea contains real caramel bits! Its sweet butteriness makes this tea great with dessert, or it can be the dessert! The slight vanilla flavor mixes perfectly with a little milk and a dash of sugar. Use one teaspoon per cup and steep for 3-5 minutes in freshly boiled water.

About The Tea Table View company

Thank you, Cait, for the sample. I’m liking this tea.

The dry tea was alarming because it reeked of maraschino cherries. I loved that odor when I was 8 years old and prone to stealing one or two of these cherries from a jar my parents kept in the refrigerator. I suspect that they had had them around since prohibition. The problem with my petty thievery was that all 5 of my siblings were also drawn to the maraschino cherries, also stole a few, and hence our family suffered through Maraschino-Gate after my parents commenced a Select Committee to nab the magpie amongst their offspring. But I digress.

To this day, I find the odor a bit alarming because it is redolent of child-hood busts and childhood disappointments.

Through the alchemy of boiled water, the maraschino cherry odor disappeared and now I am drinking something that is certainly a vanilla caramel. It is sweet and rich and of course it’s a dessert tea (I take my dessert teas at all times of the day). I don’t know if I will buy this, but the tea does make me want to investigate more black caramel teas. Good cup! I’m ready for seconds.

__Morgana__

Maraschino-gate. I giggle, I giggle. Hehehehe.

Cait

I’m so glad that this tea has found a good (if nostalgically fraught) home!

Okay, “sour” isn’t really the right word. There’s something going on here which I’m experiencing as neither bitter nor sweet, though, and I can’t seem to mesh it with my “caramel tea” expectations. Perhaps I’m just holding it up against Fortnum & Mason’s vanilla tea.

Jillian

Is it that burnt-sugar taste?

Cait

I don’t think so — normally that also tastes sweet to me — but maybe?

Jillian

Caramel can also have a bit of a salty taste although I’ve never come across it in a tea… *shrugs * :)

Cait

Huh. You know, that might be it!