Lapsang Souchong Superior

Edit tea info Last updated by MattLytle

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This is my first Lapsang Souchong, a free sample I requested with my Tea Table order. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. As a vegetarian, I haven't had barbecue in yeeears, but I still...” Read full tasting note
    follepetite 39 tasting notes

From The Tea Table

Lapsang Souchong Superior Tea is black tea cured in pine wood smoke. Powerful smoky aroma and taste, yet smooth and pleasant. A favorite among men who’ve never liked “regular” tea. Use one heaping teaspoon per cup and steep 3-5 minutes in freshly boiled water.

There is a great story a customer told me once about a tea room somewhere in California that was serving Lapsang Souchong as their tea of the day. All day long they noted the smoky aroma of the tea, and didn’t think anything of it. Turned out that the walls were on fire!

About The Tea Table View company

1 Tasting Note

This is my first Lapsang Souchong, a free sample I requested with my Tea Table order. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. As a vegetarian, I haven’t had barbecue in yeeears, but I still love the smell of smoke & burning wood, despite it being associated with the smell of meat. That’s entirely what this tea smells like, both the dry leaves and the brewed tea. I brewed a heaping teaspoon in 8oz of water, without rinsing the leaves. Should I have rinsed? Who knows.

I tried it straight, and it was punchy & intense, a really savory tea. Maybe a bit too much smoke flavor for me. I added turbinado sugar, which really mellowed the flavor and added some nicely contrasting sweetness. Finally, I added a splash of milk, and I think I enjoy it most that way. You still get the smoky pine aroma but the taste is not overwhelming, mostly lingering in the back of the throat. I find myself enjoying this cup more as I drink. I’ll definitely try re-steeping the leaves.

It’s hard to rate this compared to all the other teas I’ve tried as it’s quite unlike anything I’ve had before. But, I think it’s a good quality tea and definitely worth trying.

Edit: I didn’t get to steep this again. I think I’m coming down with a cold, and this is definitely a tea you have to be in the mood for. =/