Red Dragon Pearl

Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Molasses
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From thepuriTea

This unusual black tea is hand-rolled into spheres the size of chickpeas in southern Yunnan, China. Just two or three of them are enough for a fantastically bold brew with all the flavors of a crisp autumn day. It’s malty, nuanced and tannic like a fine Second Flush Assam black tea, but it also offers complex flavors of spiced, stewed apples, fallen leaves and cocoa that set it apart from other black teas. Floral aromas and a clean, bittersweet finish round out this singular infusion. Try it with breakfast, brunch, grilled duck or dark chocolate.

Tea to Water Ratio 1:1. If you prefer a stronger flavor, use up to two grams of tea for each cup of water.

Water: Filtered water is best. Use water at 212ºF (fully boiling)

Traditional Steeping: 3 to 5 minutes

Flash Steeping: First, we run warm water over the tealeaves and pour it off very quickly. This removes any impurities and “awakens” the tealeaves for brewing. Then, we steep the tea – 35 to 60 seconds.

About thepuriTea View company

Our mission is simple: to provide gourmet teas and practical teaware. We source all of our teas and teaware directly from China, Taiwan and India to ensure the maximum quality, value and freshness for our customers. By cutting out the middleman in our selection process, we can pass on savings to our customers and guarantee the quality of each and every one of our products.

And it is a sipdown!
This has been a tasty pearl, sweet & a little fruity, & I’ve sort of hoarded this last cup for awhile, knowing that the company closed & there would be no more. It is sad when companies don’t make it, but sometimes you just have to let go, right?

Tea of the afternoon…..

Black Dragon Pearl Tea….one of my black tea loves. I love watching the tea unfurl. The pearls are a little bigger than a chickpea/garbanzo bean. This one is very good with notes of chocolate, slight malt, super smooth and rich. I used 12 balls in my 24 oz teapot. It was perfection. This one is a little more than I like to spend for 4 oz, but if you are buying a pound, it is pretty reasonable. It is just that I am not sure I want to have that much of it on hand.

Resteeps well.

Teapot method with 12 Red Dragon Pearls.

ScottTeaMan

How many resteeps do you get Jenn?

SimplyJenW

At least three…then I am usually ready for something else.

Dinosara

I’ve never had a black dragon pearl, but I am getting a sample of the Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea from Teavivre soon so I am excited to try one!

SimplyJenW

@Dinosara…I like that one! In fact, it is pretty much the one I am leaning toward as it is better priced in smaller amounts.

I have a sixth sense about teas that I know I will absolutely love. Without a moment’s hesitation, I plunked down the dough to get 16 oz of these pearls without ever tasting a one!

They arrived on Saturday (fantastic service, thepuriTea!) with 3 nice samples (thank you!)!

I am trying them for the first time today (4 pearls, about 9 oz water, 3 min) and wow – they taste exactly as I hoped. Molasses-y on the first steep, and oh my god the second steep is so dark chocolatey that I had to pause and blink! (blink, blink! Oh this is good!).

I’m sorry but I have to end this note. This second steep is so good that I don’t want to do anything but drink it!

Thank you moraiwe for the hot tip!

moraiwe

Haha! No problem! Glad they were as awesome as you hoped :)

JacquelineM

moraiwe, they are even better than I hoped! I am so grateful!

gmathis

Wow. Mmmmmm!

Terri HarpLady

Yay! I ordered some of these as well, & I’m awaiting their arrival!

ashmanra

Do you still have your pigeon?

JacquelineM

ashmanra – Yes! He actually coos excitedly when he sees me walking up to the house after work. He’s been hanging out under the eave of our porch — he feels safe there I think. I haven’t had any luck talking with local pigeon experts but did email another yesterday. I read that modified rabbit hutches may work for a home. I’ve also been reading about the history of pigeons and humans -fascinating! The military in America kept pigeons for messages up until the 1950s! And they have a very bonding and loyal personality which I can see already :)

ashmanra

Squee! That sounds so neat!

Terri HarpLady

Awesome! I had a pigeon that I rescued when I was 10 or so. It had a broken wing, which I set, & it healed & decided to live in this one corner where 2 sides of our roof came together & made a natural little shelter. It still lived there when we moved, about 10 years later.

JacquelineM

Terri – 10 years! Wow! It makes me feel better about letting him live free but feeding him and caring for him! I think he likes being here and flying free. I saw him flying with some Mourning Doves so I wonder if they might be making friends (I worry about him being lonely).

The other thing I can do is try and catch/trap him and give him to a pigeon club — it doesn’t feel right but I’m not sure if that’s me putting my feelings on him or if that’s really what’s what. I’m giving myself (and the pigeon) the summer to make the decision!

KeenTeaThyme

I’ve never heard of Red Dragon Pearls but they sound lovely! Adding to my shopping list…

Alas my yummy friend, you are gone. You are gone, I have too much other tea, and my cupboard is too full. I may replace you, because you are an awesome tea. You remind me of autum leaves and are a great tea for the pre-winter months.

However, it will be a while until I could replace you. So long! Farewell. Be well until we see each other again.

Another tea from Terri I was epxecting somethling closer to a black pearl when i tried these so the fruitiness in these was totally unexpected. Chocolate/cocoa notes mixed with fruitiness that is reminiscent of those fruit and nut bars… Really enjoyed the uniqueness of this one! Nice purchase for us terri!

Ze_Teamaker

TO THE SHOPPING LIST

Haha we’re all such enablers. :)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, the fun thing about all these pearls is they each taste different. I initially thought they would all be about the same, for some crazy reason. :)

Terri HarpLady

Of course, it shouldn’t surprise me, since all the Assams taste different, all the Yunnans do too. Pearls can be made from any tea. It makes it funner.

I had nearly forgotten this one. It was only because I went to remove the orange pu-erh that Wombatgirl gave me (and which turned out to be my preferred morning travel cup tea) that I was reminded of this one. So now I’m using the other half of the sample, also sent to me by Wombatgirl, and can remove this from my cupboard as well.

(Actually I rather suspect my cupboard might need some general cleaning up because there are things in there I would swear have been gone for a long time… Must have a poke through the Basket O’ Samples soon and figure it out.)

I’m following instructions this time, and the instructed steeping time is 3-5 minutes. I did a cautious 3. Although it felt really weird to do it. 3 minutes is an eternity when you start at 1 minute by standard!

OW! I burned by bongue! Ow….!

The aroma at any rate is lovely. It’s got substance. A sweetish, somewhat heavy body of something like cocoa, and a spicy note floating on top which for me is enhancing the cocoa of the body.

After a reasonable cooling time, I’m trying again, and what I get is remarkably sweet. It’s not quite that thick honey note I found in an Assam that One Enchanted Time, nor is it really a strong kind of chocolate-y cocoa-y thing. But it is sweet.

It starts with a slightly wooden oaky note and then the sweetness comes. This sweetness that is so hard to pin down. More dark syrup than sugar. Slightly spicy and sweet at the same, almost biscuit-y. And finally a finish with a good flash of cinnamon. Yes, biscuits is a good comparison really.

This makes it sound like something that’s primarily a dessert tea, but this is not actually true. It’s got a strong flavour that makes it good for most any time of day.

I rather liked this one, and I would definitely recommend that others try it too.

Jillian

OW! I burned by bongue! Ow….!

Psh, n00b! ;P

Yet another good, I like this one a lot. It has character, it is not your grandmothers tea and I like it. It is rich, bittersweet as described, robust, and earthy. Not at all boring. Some really good stuff. :-)

GOT BALLS!?

I do!

:P

I’m just finishing up the infusion of 3 of these balls or PEARLS and am REALLY excited to try this!!!!

At first I could smell – ever-so-slightly – something that smelled fruity but like cocoa. This completely intrigued me!

While infusing…it smells a little like cocoa…but very slight. The wet leaves smell like Assam.

The taste is very unique. They mention ‘chocolate’ in the description…I would say it would be a dark chocolate because it is really bold and – well – dark. It’s not really sweet. There is a tad of bitterness to it but I am comparing that to a dark chocolate type bitterness.

I can ‘find’ the apple comparison they spoke of. And I can taste a bit of oak or other like woodsy type taste.

This is VERY Malty! Even in the aftertaste.

What a FUN tea! Nifty!!!!

Kristin

Sounds like my husband would love this one! Also, I don’t know why, but I love any tea that comes rolled up in a ball. :)

Kristin

I was just looking at their website. I love how they show the brewed color of the tea. This seems esp important for oolongs. They are definitely on my list to order from soon.

jessica

ha ha .. i want to try!

TeaEqualsBliss

Just sent you a quick PM, Kristin…

Jenn-cha

Now I wish I had caved on this tea when I was ordering the Jasmine Yunnan!

Had this yesterday while wrapping up Season 4 of Buffy. Very tasty! I think I just like dragon pearls though—I haven’t had any yet I didn’t enjoy. This brewed up a nice malty, deep chocolate cup that was very satisfying, edged with smoky and cold weather harvest flavors (think apples, prunes, maple) making one think of fall, winter, seasons of dormancy when things below ground. I think I may steal Terri’s idea of using pearls as a purse-friendly portable option. Yum. Also, resteeps very well; I got 4 solid infusions and might’ve been able to keep going but figured that was enough caffeine for a while. Didn’t make me jittery either but gave me that “calm focused energy” thing tea is known for.

Such a bummer thepuritea is gone now; I’ve enjoyed the samples I grabbed in their going out of business sale. Knew that’d be a bittersweet experience—if I liked the teas it’d be with the knowledge they’re impossible to restock and if I didn’t, well, then I’ve had tea I didn’t like. I guess it’s better this way, the former, but ah well.

keychange

yes, calm focused energy is a great way to describe it!

Another one Terri Harplady included in the teabox for me in my special baggie of teas. thank you! :D Dragon pearls again so soon? Why yes. I’m not sure why these are called red pearls… maybe only because in China black tea is called red tea? I used four pearls for these steeps.

First steep // 3 min // 20 min after boiling (deciding which tea)
This one is SPECIAL. It doesn’t even seem like a black tea because there is just a honey honey honey flavor! The texture is even like honey! I’ve never had a tea like this before. I couldn’t guess it was a black tea, honestly. Maybe it is just because of the lower temperature? Definitely no astringency.

Second steep // 4 min // right after boiling
The amazing honey is still here, but now there is a deeper flavor — a bit like chocolate with honey notes, a bit more astringency that is just noticeable (but the first cup was just SWEET.) Still not quite like a distinct black tea. So so good. I’m very amazed that even black (or red) dragon pearls seem to be so unique!

Third steep // 3 min // right after boiling
This cup was much like the second but there was a hint of oakiness that detracted from the honey chocolate! So the light honey flavor from the first cup definitely wasn’t just from the lower temperature, as the other two cups would have had a stronger flavor right after boiling. This has to be the sweetest black tea I’ve tried.

I love these. I have eight more pearls – so two more steeping sessions to savor later!

MsWhatsit

Mmmm sounds good. I’ll have to check and see if she’s included any of these in my care package.