Darjeeling #1

Edit tea info Last updated by TeaGuy19

• “bwahaha SIPDOWN! I had a small cup of this tonight to say farewell since i'm including this in omgsrsly's package! All i can say is.. not cheating! haha. I do find that this one is one that i'd...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4862 tasting notes
  • “One of the problems with being self-employed is that it's easy to just goof off an entire morning, with little to nothing accomplished, & I'm sorry to say that is the case today. I've spent the...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2913 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the late morning here and part of thepuriTea's fancy black tea sampler. I like darjeelings since they are one black tea I prefer to drink plain. To me they really seem more like oolongs than...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2353 tasting notes
  • “Nice morning tea... Well, it's way past noon, but it is morning for me! I am already mentally planning my weekend off with tea, and this darjeeling sure helps me to focus. I am also trying to...” Read full tasting note
    poziomka 214 tasting notes

From thepuriTea

India’s Darjeeling region is shrouded in mists amongst the foothills of the Himalayas. Its unique terroir produces exceptional crops of tea in spring and summer. These are known as Darjeeling First Flush and Darjeeling Second Flush. Unlike the opulently fruity flavor of Second Flush Darjeeling black teas, our Darjeeling First Flush Rhapsody No. 1 has a refreshing, floral flavor that speaks of the freshness and abundance of springtime. Harvested at 7,000 feet elevation on the certified organic, award winning Sungma Estate, this tea’s small black leaves infuse into a coppery red brew with a clean, complex, roasty, mineral-tinged, fruity and floral aroma. Its flavor is brisk, with a sweet-astringent balance and notes of cinnamon, dark chocolate, hardwoods, dried flowers, stonefruits and pears. The refreshingly clean aftertaste hints at unripe pear and the second infusion is sweeter, mellower and less astringent. Like many Darjeelings, our Darjeeling Rhapsody No. 1 is great with breakfasts and brunches of all kinds. It’s also delicious with fruity desserts..

About thepuriTea View company

Our mission is simple: to provide gourmet teas and practical teaware. We source all of our teas and teaware directly from China, Taiwan and India to ensure the maximum quality, value and freshness for our customers. By cutting out the middleman in our selection process, we can pass on savings to our customers and guarantee the quality of each and every one of our products.

bwahaha SIPDOWN! I had a small cup of this tonight to say farewell since i’m including this in omgsrsly’s package! All i can say is.. not cheating! haha. I do find that this one is one that i’d drink again. I wouldn’t go out of my way to order it, but if i needed something to get to free shipping or some such, this would be one to consider :)

Terri HarpLady

I still have some of this.

One of the problems with being self-employed is that it’s easy to just goof off an entire morning, with little to nothing accomplished, & I’m sorry to say that is the case today. I’ve spent the entire morning mainly sitting here (and by ‘here’ I mean the dining room table, where my laptop usually lives), just drinking tea, reading posts of FB & steepster, reading emails, & eating breakfast. I’ve also been doing laundry in the background, almost done with that.

A part of me wants to feel guilty (that would be Ms Theresa). In her opinion, I should have been practicing for one of my upcoming performances, or paying bills, or working on my novel. She’s probably right, but I’ve been exhausted for the last few days, & little terri & I agree that we needed this goof off morning. We had a good breakfast, some tasty teas, accomplished a few sipdowns, & all of my laundry will be clean. So there, Ms Theresa!
AND this is another sipdown! 197!

As far as Darjeelings go, this is a pleasant cup. Not bold or deep, but lightly malty & sweet in a fruity kind of way.

Tea of the late morning here and part of thepuriTea’s fancy black tea sampler. I like darjeelings since they are one black tea I prefer to drink plain. To me they really seem more like oolongs than black teas. The puriTEa has some odd steeping recommendations: 5-7 minutes for a darjeeling? that really seems like overkill.

Anyway this is the 2nd flush tea from Sungma. I’ve had one of these before from Harney and Sons. Compared to the HS version this seems slightly less flavorful but very smooth. I am not getting a big floral element but more of a fruity and mineral one. I like the fact that this cuppa doesn’t have much astringency to it.

Not the best 2nd flush darjeeling I’ve had but certainly tasty. It’s raining today and I think I’ll have some more of this later this afternoon. Great day to drink tea and think of a warmer climate. :)

Nice morning tea… Well, it’s way past noon, but it is morning for me! I am already mentally planning my weekend off with tea, and this darjeeling sure helps me to focus. I am also trying to resist various free shipping offers on various tea selling websites. And yes, this tea helps me to withstand the temptation. Somehow.

TheTeaFairy

Love planning and lining up the teas I intend to have during days off at home :-)

Kat_Maria

One of the days will be devoted to trying out new teas (I have so many I haven’t even tried yet… and there’s more on the way :/) and the other one will be more like a sipdown day :)

TheTeaFairy

Sounds wonderful :-)

An estate Darjeeling is always preferred by my humans. (They can be a bit picky that way.) So trying this Sungma Estate Darjeeling was of great interest. http://is.gd/f0P5l

This was my afternoon cup. I really felt the best way to describe this cup was soft. I have not tasted that many darjeelings but I really liked this one. I very much tasted the fruity notes and also got the floral aroma.

When warm I was able to taste the fruity notes. Now that it is cool in my cup it is much more malty and astringent.

This was my morning tea. I haven’t tried too many Darjeelings, so I didn’t know what to expect. I went with 205/3 min as I dislike very strong teas. The scent is kind of pretty. It smells sweet, like the sweetness of cane sugar, but it doesn’t taste that way. I can taste a savory fruitiness, but it’s difficult to describe. It’s kind of like a full, heavy grape taste, but without the sweetness to accompany it. It’s more like a grape on its way to becoming a raisin. It’s not bitter, nor is it astringent. It’s pleasant.