Tea Earl Grey Hot

Edit tea info Last updated by Rabs

• “I participated in a Star Trek swap and this was one of the items I received. I believe it is made by Adagio. I haven't had the best luck with Adagio Earl Greys in the past, and this one was no...” Read full tasting note
    Molybdenum 252 tasting notes
  • “I really like this EG. I haven't found a lot of EGs that I like, but this one is balanced really nicely and the bergamot isn't overwhelming. I'm sad that I can't buy this by the ounce, but I just...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “I awoke to my doorbell ringing this morning and here was my Think Geek tea order! It's a wonderful tea sampler set created by Adagio exclusively for Think Geek. I unashamedly *had* to have this...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 361 tasting notes
  • “While part of my summer marathon of Earl Grey, I wanted to try this one to appease my inner nerd! Can we have a show of hands for who has tried EG simply because one of our favorite starship...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 253 tasting notes

From ThinkGeek

From the replicator on the Enterprise comes Tea Earl Grey Hot, choice of fine Starfleet captains everywhere. Sip on this black tea with bergamot and you’ll spend your day telling others to “make it so #1” and sending red shirts to their deaths.

About ThinkGeek View company

ThinkGeek started as a way to serve a market that was passionate about technology, from programmers, engineers, students, lovers of open source, to the masses that helped create the behind-the-scenes Internet culture.

I participated in a Star Trek swap and this was one of the items I received. I believe it is made by Adagio. I haven’t had the best luck with Adagio Earl Greys in the past, and this one was no different. The bergamot is way too strong and I don’t have much of a tea taste. I added in some cream to make it more drinkable. This isn’t the best tea, but I can enjoy it with milk and sugar. The tin is the part I really want anyway!

Stephanie

At least the trek reference part was awesome!

Emilie

Exactly! Feeling like Picard every time I drink this is definitely a bonus too!

Stephanie

<3 Picard :)

Fjellrev

Oh Patrick Stewart. I love that man.

JustJames

lol, love the name! i am also insanely picky about bergamot, and tend to dislike it. my defacto earl is ‘the earl’s garden’ from david’s teas. low in bergamot, higher in fruit but still a very nice black.

Emilie

I might have to try that! I like the flavor of bergamot, but I find it overwhelming in a lot of teas.

JustJames

well, i have a whole tin that i can draw from in a swap if you’d like (it’s one of my faves so i keep it in stock).

I really like this EG. I haven’t found a lot of EGs that I like, but this one is balanced really nicely and the bergamot isn’t overwhelming. I’m sad that I can’t buy this by the ounce, but I just placed a massive sample order with Adagio (I had a lot of frequent cup points and ordered about 15 different samples for about $8, including shipping!). I’m hoping their Earl Grey Bravo is similar.

I still have have about half an ounce left of this, so no need to cry just yet!

Steeped 3tsp/16oz, poured over ice with a teaspoon of rock sugar and a splash of milk.

Babble

This sounds like an EG I might actually want to try. Too bad they have to sell it in a sampler back. Hope the EG Bravo works out to be the same. And yay for Frequent Cup points. That’s how I got my IngenuiTEA for $3 – LOL.

Babble

*Sampler pack – d’oh!

Michelle

The sampler pack isn’t actually that bad. I mean it’s a bit pricey for 4oz of tea, but the tins are cute and the teas are decent. I add milk and sugar to this, but I really like it.

I awoke to my doorbell ringing this morning and here was my Think Geek tea order! It’s a wonderful tea sampler set created by Adagio exclusively for Think Geek. I unashamedly had to have this set just for the tins. So, I brewed up the Tea. Earl Grey. Hot. and revelled in the glory of being a nerd.

The smell of the tin was unmistakably Earl Grey. There were the little purple flower petals and orange pieces. Eh, it looks what I imagine a typical Earl Grey looks like.

Steep one: Furniture polish ahoy! It has to be the citrus/bergamot combo that registers as “furniture polish” to me. It’s pretty smooth – only the tiniest bit of dryness at the back of my throat. As it begins to cool the furniture polish (bergamot?) begins to fade into the background and the flavors start to compliment one another. I begin to see a glimmer of “oh – this could grow on me.”

Steep two: Oh – this really could grow on me. I added a minute and all the flavors seem to have balanced out and I’m really digging this tea. If this came in larger than sampler size, then I would seriously consider purchasing more. It also gets a few bonus points for the awesome name. NE

AmazonV

oh man, i am sooooooooooooo tempted, i love think geek, and they’re so geeky

Rabs

To tempt you further: today Think Geek announced free shipping within the continental US before 4/30 in honor of Mother’s Day by using code FREE4MOM I was kinda upset that they posted this today since I missed out on it by a few days, but now I’m happy that I get to pass it along even if ya don’t use it :)

AmazonV

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH hmm, and a spork, i need another spork since I already have the tauntaun sleeping bag

Rabs

You have the sleeping bag? The coolest sleeping bag that was supposed to be an April Fool’s joke, but because of the awesomeness of it and the high demand? ::envies:: And you can never have too many sporks! ;)

AmazonV

yes i do, in fact i am one of the customer action shots! i wanted it, even though i knew it was an april fools, and asked them to really make it, and when they did i pre-ordered. It is not outdoor at all, but it is nice and warm for inside sleeping (friends floors for example) it is not for tall people though, luckily i am short

Rabs

That is so wonderfully awesome! I’m gonna have to think of a good action shot for the tea…

While part of my summer marathon of Earl Grey, I wanted to try this one to appease my inner nerd! Can we have a show of hands for who has tried EG simply because one of our favorite starship captains happens to enjoy it? Both my husband and I would have to rather sheepishly raise our own hands!

I tried this first without milk, and it was a fairly straightforward EG – better than a bag, but not really unique in any way that I could discern. Adding milk did bring out some hitherto unknown floral notes. I think the search for the best EG will continue, but thank you, Emilie, for giving me the opportunity to try this one!

….
- Now, the final tea in the set: Tea, Earl Grey, Hot. Mm.. takes me back to sitting around in Watson Hall, watching Star Trek: TNG with the Sci-Fi/Doctor Who club on Saturday nights. (And reminds me of Whoopi Goldberg’s character’s stupid hats for some reason.) The leaf of this tea smells VERY bergamot-y. Brewed up, it’s a fairly solid Earl Grey. Not too bergamot, not too strong. My guess is that the replicators of Starfleet do a generic blend of the various types of Earl Grey.

…..

from my review of all the Think Geek Sampler at It’s all About the Leaf – go read the rest of it!

gmathis

I know it’s just marketing, but I’m a sucker for fun tea names—these sound great.

I purchased this tea for myself earlier this year because I wanted the tin to house my regular Earl Grey. To be clear, this is not the one depicted in the picture (although the tea inside is the same), but the one that came in the licensed tin. (See here: https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f07b/)

Having drunk some this morning, this is not my favorite Earl Grey. I enjoy Earl Grey in general, so it’s certainly not a loss, but this tastes very weak to me. After steeping it for three and a half minutes, there was a bit of bergamot and only a very weak tea flavor. I will attempt to steep it longer next time in the hopes it will bring out more flavor, but ultimately I am unimpressed. Luckily, it’s the tin that I was really excited for!

Actually a good tea! It has whole leaves and stuff!

A very nice, but standard, Earl Grey.

Not the best EG that I have had, but it did have a great aroma and was not too strong if steeped for 4-5 minutes. Not my favorite, but I wouldn’t turn it down!

Not exceptional. Slightly better than Earl Grey I’ve had in the past.