Oriental Beauty

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Thomas Smith

• “Aww! Pretty! Look' a' tha' pretty pretty leavees... Okay, I am beat. I should go to bed, but I want more tea!!! One last pot before bed - I promise I'll stop pestering your dashboard afterwards....” Read full tasting note
    Rijje 93 tasting notes

From Tillerman Tea

One of the few high grade teas to be harvested in the summer, this tea, first known as “Bai Hao” in Taiwan, reminds us of a superior first flush Darjeeling. We are not the only ones to think so, Queen Victoria enjoyed this tea so much, when she ran out of her Darjeeling, she dubbed this the “Oriental Beauty.” This was subsequently translated back int Chinese as “Dong Fang Mei Ren” Black twisted leaves mixed with rich red leaves and an abundance of silver furry tips gives this tea its visual appeal. The unique flavor profile results from the way this plant develops . The tea green leaf hopper attacks the young developing bud in the spring causing it to witherf on the branch. The lower leaves are harvested in the summer with the withered “white tip” attached. For anyone who likes a fruity malty tea like Darjeeling with an intrigueing honey note, this is a great alternative. If it was good enough for the Queen. . .

About Tillerman Tea View company

Aww! Pretty! Look’ a’ tha’ pretty pretty leavees…
Okay, I am beat. I should go to bed, but I want more tea!!!
One last pot before bed – I promise I’ll stop pestering your dashboard afterwards.
(untill I wake up Muhahah!)

First thing first: The leaves.
They are like gypsies. No dresscode! They twist and turn, they are broken and whole and they can’t decide whether they are black or white. (Some of them are only white on 1 mm. at the end? Weird huh? I can’t imagine how they produce this.) Smell’s like hay/cereal.

I read the instructions at Tillermans site. 1 min steep it said… But I only counted to 50.
But I am truly a very slow counter. And a tired one at that.

The finished product has a yellow hue. Yum.
Sips Oh… this is very soft. Diplomatic. Silly flavorless words. Hmm… Okay, it’s sweet at first and bitter at the end. Earthy flavors. Very smooth. I am going to say the forbidden word: Assam-ish. I know, I can’t keep saying it! But it is. It taste like a middle thing between a assam and a white tea. And there is a little note of hay and honey.

All in all a pleasant encounter.

- This tea was sponsored by drumroll Thomas Smith!

Stephanie

I love the description of the leaves!

Caitlin

I agree – this whole tasting note is really lively! It draws you in – A+!!

Rijje

Thank you- I should write all my notes when I am sleepy.
IT kills the formal me ;)