Organic Oolong

Tea Bag
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Callipygian

From Touch Organic

Product description not available yet.

About Touch Organic View company

I don’t have a huge amount of experience with oolong, and I recall having encountered some in the past which did not agree with me. Out of curiosity, I decided to gamble on the Touch Organic Oolong at TJMAXX because I was pleasantly surprised by their generic China green filter bags.

This light golden brown brew smells remarkably like genmaicha to me. There is a seriously cereal-esque flavor here—popped brown rice, to be more precise! The brew wafts vaguely also of barley tea, which I never really understood and have never been able to drink. But this taste is a lot closer to genmaicha than to barley. Does it taste like oolong? That is the question.

I finished the cup, so clearly this is potable. I’ll probably drink this now and then—whenever I am craving genmaicha but have none on hand. Perhaps I’ll use some of these highly economic bags (five cents each) to take an oolong bath…

update: okay, now I’m getting the weird headache-y feeling which I recall having experienced in the past with some oolong and jasmine teas. Having second thoughts. Not quite to the point of gag reflex, but something has gone wrong here… Probably won’t drink this tea after all.

Is it possible to be allergic to some treatments of oolong????

Starfevre

How are you with black or green tea?

Tamarindel

I did have a pomegranate oolong tea that did that to me, but very inconsistently — I drank all of it and was fine most of the time, but a handful of times it gave me a vague headache, very weird.

sherapop

Starfevre: I love black tea and green tea, and I never, ever feel nauseous from either one of them! There is something in jasmine and oolong which appears to be incompatible with me, alas. It’s a strange sensation. I should say that I sometimes feel that way with very light-roasted coffees as well. I only like dark roast, preferably super-dark roasted. So maybe it has something to do with being neither fully cooked (black) nor quite raw (green)? I don’t know. It’s too bad, though…

Starfevre

Yeah, that is too bad. Only suggestion I have is to try a quality oolong, maybe an organic one and see if it still does the same. Honeybush gives me a headache so I understand your frustration in taking out an entire type of tea from your life.

A surprisingly good oolong considering its a bagged tea. Very smooth with a lingering sweetness reminiscent of honey. Tastes great hot and iced.

While I like most of my tea as blends, this is one of the few I truly enjoy plain. Solid quality, good cup.

I found this tea at Marshalls (sister store to TJ Maxx), at the low price of $5.99 for 100 bags, what a deal! I picked up a box of the Organic Oolong, as well as the Organic Green and brought them both to share with the office.

I’m happy that the tea is certified USDA Organic, and comes in an unbleached teabag. That is more or less the extent of the plusses column.

The flavor is stale tasting, but I am able to detect hints of wheat, roasted barley, malt, and earth.

Similar to the TO green tea, there’s a high level of bitterness and tannin in this tea that make my tongue feel like it’s growing fur.

This is an unoffensive but unremarkable bagged oolong tea. I guess I got what I paid for.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Malt, Roasted Barley, Tannin

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Not a bad oolong, especially for bagged. Good for a quick pick-me-up when you’re running short on time.