Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte Mix

Black Chai Blend
Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

From Trader Joe's

Continuing our quest to pumpki-fy our stores, we’re pleased as pumpkin punch to bring you Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte Mix. Based on a traditional Indian drink, we start with a Chai tea blend that’s a combination of honey, vanilla, and black tea, heightened by a mélange of spices like cinnamon, anise, clove, cardamom, and ginger. Now comes the “pumpki-fy” part: in addition to the traditional chai spices, Pumpkin Spice Chai is accentuated by pumpkin pie spices and real pumpkin. It’s kind of like drinking a slice of pumpkin pie, only much less messy than trying to get pie through a straw.

Like pumpkin pie, you can enjoy Pumpkin Spice Chai hot or cold. Unlike pumpkin pie, Pumpkin Spice Chai is ready in moments – you just add water and enjoy! You’ll also enjoy our price of $3.99 for each 10 ounce canister. You’ll find it in our coffee & tea section.

About Trader Joe's View company

2007 tasting notes

Last night I was in Trader Joe’s surveying their newest pumpkin paraphenelia when I noticed a cannister of this on their “New Products” endcap. Even a few months ago I wouldn’t have given this a second glance, but my love of all things pumpkin, a recent unexplained craving for spiced teas, and my recent appreciation for other forms of powdered tea made me pick it up and put it in my basket.

The first two things on the ingredients list are sugar and non-fat milk, so that should give you a sense of what we’re dealing with. Tea ingredients are listed as Black tea and Darjeeling tea. It also includes powdered pumpkin. The powder smells intensely pumpkin-spicey, like raw pumpkin pie mix. I prepared it as instructed and it yielded a intense brown color that seems dark for a latte mix. The flavor is very sweet, and quite tasty. It got a little two sweet for me at one point, but the addition of a little more water evened things out, and I will probably make my next cup with 8oz instead of 6oz of water. It’s not super tea-ish, but honestly when I drink chai I’m not super concerned about that. It is quite like drinking liquid pumpkin pie, and a good easy mix when I don’t have the energy to deal with other chais or matcha.

Bonnie

Ah, dessert in a cup…we all need that some times! Add whipped cream and another ahhhhh!

Dinosara

And sometimes we need dessert in a cup for breakfast, apparently! :D

I had a can of the TJ’s chai mix in the past and remembered liking it well enough, so when I saw that they had a pumpkin version (and I’m a sucker for trying anything pumpkin flavored) I had to nab it. The check out gal commented on how good it was while I was purchasing it, so I was even more hyped up to try it. The first whiff I took smelled a little soapy with pumpkin. When I tasted it, I found the same. It was sweet with a muddling of spices, some pumpkin flavor and that overwhelming soapy taste on the sides of my tongue. That was about all I got out of it for the whole cup. Not as good as their plain chai and not worth using up my self imposed one caffeinated cup a day ration. I can tell this one is going to sit in my cupboard for a while taking up precious real estate for other teas. Bummer.

lexi

I could not agree with your post more. I was so excited to try this. The first thing that I thought of after my first sip was soap. I wanted to give it a wholehearted try so I kept drinking it hoping that it would taste better. Unfortunately it did not. I felt like I was drinking hot spiced soap. I am going to return it and exchange it for their regular Chai Latte which I love. I also plan on trying their Caramel Latte. Will let you know how that turns out ;)

Dustin

I live an hour an a half from the nearest TJ’s but I might just follow your lead and return it the next time I go. I didn’t know they had a caramel version. I’m curious, yet skeptical after this pumpkin yuckiness.

Really sweet and very much a tea latte. It smells REALLY strongly of pumpkin, so I was afraid that the flavor would be an artificial pumpkin taste. But I was wrong, the pumpkin is pretty balanced. Overall, very tasty.

Really good chai latte! The pumpkin tastes real and the mix has a good thickness.