Irish Breakfast

Biting, Malt, Roasted Barley, Citrusy, Dark Bittersweet, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by lampbane

2 Images

• “Some mornings - like the mornings it takes three times as long to get your eyes open and twice to get dressed because nothing feels cozy enough - you just need to grab the...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1872 tasting notes
  • “This tea oils my engine. It’s not the rolls royce of teas, however, when double bagged it packs quite a punch. It’s malty and is a workhorse for those who just want something strong...” Read full tasting note
    abmedium 33 tasting notes
  • “The only thing worse than Trader Joe’s tea is Trader Joe’s bagels. I mean really, have you tried those awful things? my friends have this story about the bagels. So back in their old...” Read full tasting note
    sixsixty 16 tasting notes
  • “This is the first “plain” Irish Breakfast tea I’ve had (that I can remember) and I have say…I am not fan. It brewed up very dark and looked like coffee, which is neat....” Read full tasting note
    ragashanti 92 tasting notes

From Trader Joe's

Countless treatises have been written on Irish culture and its impact on the world at large. In our opinion, though, not enough of those treatises have been about tea. Though they drink their share of coffee as well, the Irish have one of the world’s highest rates of tea consumption per capita. We think it’s safe to say that when people drink this much tea, they know their stuff. We’ve developed Trader Joe’s Irish Breakfast Tea with these traditions in mind.

Whether or not you’re Irish, if you’re a tea drinker, we think you’ll love our Irish Breakfast Tea. It’s a full-bodied blend of teas from the Assam Valley at the base of the Himalayan Mountains — a region renowned for its high quality teas. The traditional Irish breakfast is rich, and hearty enough to nourish body and soul for much of the day. Trader Joe’s Irish Breakfast Tea was created to be bold enough to hold its own with such a big breakfast. In the cup, it’s full-bodied, earthy and mellow, with or without milk — milk being a customary addition for the Irish. We’re selling each box of 80 tea bags for $2.99 — that’s less than 4¢ per cup! Talk about a wow value!

About Trader Joe's View company

Cheap and economical, I bought an 80 teabag box for 2 dollars. I have been drinking this tea as my morning tea with some Silk soymilk and my usual breakfast of oat bran and fruit or toast.

2 bags in 2 cups water in a roiling boil, steeped till the liquor is opaque and black. Smells like roses, though its the kind of tea I don’t spend any time appreciating because of the morning rush, and I feel that it doesn’t mind at all. Stout but not amazing, its the kind of tea I can rely on – it won’t surprise me but it won’t disappoint me.

Certainly not overqualified, but definitely under-appreciated, it makes my mornings less complicated by being so simple.

This is my every day black tea. It takes lots of milk and some sugar well. It’s strong, and while I like that, I steep it for a very short amount of time. It is strong, but smooth. Great in the morning to wake me up! Good with the occasional dash of cinnamon!

Three times, I’ve had a little surprise at the end of a cup: part or all of an insect. Like others, I’m a coffee drinker so strong and bitter are actually a plus. Drink it with milk. But I could live without the bugs.

I always have a box of this on my tea shelf. At first I thought it was really bitter and odd, even with honey and milk, but after a couple of times trying it I started to really like it.

Oh nice, someone made a page for this stuff. I had a box of this last summer and used it all as sweet tea. It was actually pretty good, especially for the price. I mean, it’s not something I would sit and savor… it’s more like fodder for when I want to have something on hand in the fridge. It’s better than the everyday supermarket’s private brand, at least.

Maybe I’m not a tea connoisseur, just an ‘enjoyer’. Because I think this tea is quite good! It has just the right flavor for a good strong waker-upper. Completely fills the bill for me, and at the low price, the bill’s not too high! Brilliant!!!

Tried my first bag as a milk tea today. I ended up putting too much SCM in cause I was using up what I had left. I’m glad this tea is so strong cause it stood up pretty well to my overdose of sugar. I’m gonna hold off rating it until I try it by itself, but at least I know that it’ll serve well as a milk tea base.

I love Irish Breakfast tea! In my experience, however, it is rather unimpressive plain, but your version may be better than the ones I’ve had. Just a thought in case it doesn’t turn out great…I think Irish Breakfast is just meant to have milk and sweetener. Let me know if this is good plain though, I would have to go get some.

Awesome, has great malty notes

Yeah, the malty notes. That’s the flavor I couldn’t describe! When I update my review, I will credit your review in kind.

This is a good basic breakfast tea that holds up quite well to the milk-dousing that I put most of my tea through. I like it! And you can’t beat the price.

I enjoy a hearty tea in the morning, and this one does not disappoint. It is robust, malty, and does well with milk and sugar. For an off-the-shelf tea bag option, this one is a winner!

Flavors: Biting, Malt, Roasted Barley