Irish Breakfast

Earth, Tannic, Biting, Malt, Roasted Barley, Citrusy, Dark Bittersweet, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by lampbane

2 Images

• “Some mornings - like the mornings it takes three times as long to get your eyes open and twice to get dressed because nothing feels cozy enough - you just need to grab the...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1931 tasting notes
  • “This tea oils my engine. It’s not the rolls royce of teas, however, when double bagged it packs quite a punch. It’s malty and is a workhorse for those who just want something strong...” Read full tasting note
    abmedium 33 tasting notes
  • “The only thing worse than Trader Joe’s tea is Trader Joe’s bagels. I mean really, have you tried those awful things? my friends have this story about the bagels. So back in their old...” Read full tasting note
    sixsixty 16 tasting notes
  • “This is the first “plain” Irish Breakfast tea I’ve had (that I can remember) and I have say…I am not fan. It brewed up very dark and looked like coffee, which is neat....” Read full tasting note
    ragashanti 92 tasting notes

From Trader Joe's

Countless treatises have been written on Irish culture and its impact on the world at large. In our opinion, though, not enough of those treatises have been about tea. Though they drink their share of coffee as well, the Irish have one of the world’s highest rates of tea consumption per capita. We think it’s safe to say that when people drink this much tea, they know their stuff. We’ve developed Trader Joe’s Irish Breakfast Tea with these traditions in mind.

Whether or not you’re Irish, if you’re a tea drinker, we think you’ll love our Irish Breakfast Tea. It’s a full-bodied blend of teas from the Assam Valley at the base of the Himalayan Mountains — a region renowned for its high quality teas. The traditional Irish breakfast is rich, and hearty enough to nourish body and soul for much of the day. Trader Joe’s Irish Breakfast Tea was created to be bold enough to hold its own with such a big breakfast. In the cup, it’s full-bodied, earthy and mellow, with or without milk — milk being a customary addition for the Irish. We’re selling each box of 80 tea bags for $2.99 — that’s less than 4¢ per cup! Talk about a wow value!

About Trader Joe's View company

Directions say to use one roughly 2.8 g sachet per 8 oz water. I used two sachets and 14 oz. The recommended steep time is from 3-5 minutes, so I went for 4. Decent Assam. Not too bitter, I like a bit of honey in mine.

Flavors: Earth, Tannic

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 6 g 14 OZ / 414 ML

I enjoy a hearty tea in the morning, and this one does not disappoint. It is robust, malty, and does well with milk and sugar. For an off-the-shelf tea bag option, this one is a winner!

Flavors: Biting, Malt, Roasted Barley

Bearing in mind that this note is in the category of ‘bagged teas,’ I was pleasantly surprised by this selection. The only other Irish breakfast tea I have tried is Twinings, and I find this to be quite different. In my opinion, this tea does a perfect job of being exactly what it purports to be: a strong, malty black tea with some bright notes. I enjoy both loose leaf and bagged teas, and I’d like to mention that I found this tea to have some subtlety of flavor not common amongst bagged teas. If you’re the kind of person who likes a bagged Irish tea, and I realize that not everyone does, then I expect you’ll be greatly satisfied with this one.

Flavors: Citrusy, Dark Bittersweet, Malt, Nutty

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 6 OZ / 180 ML

I have to say, I was a little too harsh on this one last time. It’s not a great tea, but it’s not bad. I had it today, I’m kind of neutral about the taste. It’s fairly plain, but the strength is good. It definitely fills the need if you want some caffeine. I gave this a 60 before, but I’m bumping it up to 70 since I kind of enjoyed it today…I wouldn’t recommend it, but I’ll drink it once or twice a week until I finish the 80 bags.

A cupboard staple. Basic and strong.

This is my favorite tea. It is designed for cream and sugar. I like Yorkshire Gold Loose Tea too, but this is the one I drink at least 6 times a day. Actually tea is the only thing I drink. I add Splenda and Half and Half. Best thing about it is that it tastes like tea and is inexpensive. Most of the time I empty the bag into a pod and run it through my machine because I am in a hurry. I get 14 oz. out of 1 bag.

If you like your tea to taste like weak cardboard/sawdust with one bag per cup and like full-brewed cardboard/sawdust with two bags per cup, then this is the tea for you. It’s awful. I know, I know, it comes from a chain store and you get what you pay for, but stick to Twinings for grocery store tea that is potable. I’m actually going to take it back to Trader Joe’s for a refund, since the manager who talked me into buying it told me to bring it back if I didn’t like it. I"m sure he didn’t expect the return, but it is awful tea.

Not my favorite basic black tea…but makes a pretty decent iced tea that my dad is a big fan of. Almost has a pretty red color…am I imagining this?

Undrinkable. I threw the rest away.

I have tried many different teas. Some expensive. But when I found this one, I went “this is it!”.
Strong, yes! But that’s just what I need in the morning. As long as you drink it hot, it won’t be bitter.
And at that price, it could not be beat.
Except that TJ’s discontinued it – as of June 2013!
Not the first time that they pull one of my favorites off their shelves.
So, now, they have replaced it with “something” called Iris Breakfast Tea too.
But it ain’t the same at all. The new box is yellowish, not green and smaller. The tea bags are smaller as well. And round. And the worst part, this new tea tastes like… Anyway, I just had to throw the box away!
Oh well, so I am searching for a good tea again…