Spicy Chai Latte

Black Chai Blend
Cinnamon, Milk, Sweet, Black Pepper, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cardamon, Clove, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

From Trader Joe's

Instant mix—just add water.

Ingredients: sugar, nonfat milk, nondairy creamer (coconut oil, maltodextrin (corn), sodium caseinate, mono and diglycerides), tea powder blend (black tea, darjeeling), honey granules (sucrose, honey), spice blend (cinnamon, clove, cardamom, anise, ginger), silicon dioxicde (anticaking agent), natural flavors, carrageenan and guar gum, bourbon vanilla extract.

Hot chai latte: mix 1 scoop or 3 tablespoons with 6oz of hot water

Cold chai latte: mix 1 scoop or 3 tablespoons with 2oz hot water. Pour over 8oz of ice, then add 2oz of cold water or milk.

About Trader Joe's View company

My sister bought me a tin of this for xmas maybe two years ago, and I just re-discovered it, unopened, in my tea cupboard. I put off trying it because it’s pretty high-calorie for a drink and I hate wasting my daily calories that way! Anyway, I was skeptical because most powdered chai mixes are pretty lacking, especially if you just use water, but I actually liked this!

I didn’t use milk, and I didn’t feel it was missing anything. I was careful to only fill my huge mug part-way, because it said to add 6 oz. of water per scoop and I didn’t want to dilute it. It’s definitely very sweet (and the ingredients list 3 different kinds of sugar), but not grossly so. It was a nice treat for a not-so-nice day.

When looking for info. about this tea online, I read several comments that this has been discontinued, but there aren’t any Trader Joe’s in Colorado so I can’t be sure.

Cofftea

I looove TJ’s chai latte mix! The closest one is 2 hrs away, but I got some when I visited a friend last year.

Alannah

I would definitely love to have one nearby! I think AZ is the closest location to us. :(

Cofftea

I think WA state is closer… but when you’re talking that far, who cares? lol. Sad day.

Keemun

…enjoyed reading your bio/profile…I always get a raised eyebrow from my wife while shopping or travelling when she catches me holding ANOTHER tin of tea in my hands.Happens weekly…most of the time I give in and cry myself into sleep

Alannah

Fortunately, I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t allow myself to buy new tea (unless I’m replacing one I’ve finished off) unless we’re travelling. I have gone on a couple of binges with these Steepster Select things but mostly I hold to it!

Starla H

We have one nearby and I remember seeing it advertised around Christmas time, so I think they still make it, but maybe only at certain times of the year.

Cofftea

Only at certain times??? That makes no sense.

Alannah

It could be seasonal (which I really wouldn’t get, because it’s just chai)—?

Starla H

Personally, I like chai year round, but I guess the cinnamon and spice of it could invoke holidays. I really have no idea if this is the case for TJ’s blend or not. Was just offering a theory. :)

I went shopping at Trader Joe’s this afternoon and stumbled upon this. Normally I would pass by the chai mixes in stores, but this one caught my eye. Perhaps its a craving. I wanted it so bad. When I got home, I heated some milk and added about 3/4 of a scoop of mix. I was in heaven. This is arguably one of the best chai latte’s I have ever had. It is sweet, and so sinfully good. MMmmm… I want more, but I am holding myself back! It isn’t too spicy. It has the perfect blend of spices – cinnamon, clove, cardamom, anise, ginger, vanilla. mmm….

I’m generally pretty suspicious of powdered teas that aren’t matcha, or have the name “spicy chai tea latte” because what on earth does that mean?? But this is actually pretty good for a powdered tea (or whatever it is). And the price is really good. Honestly I would highly recommend this for new tea drinkers just switching over from frappes or hot cocoa (rather than someone switching over from the earthier taste of black coffee). But I’m a bit conflicted about this mix. On one hand, there was a lot more spice in this than other supermarket chai teas, and a cinnamon aftertaste settled pleasantly into my throat. On the other hand, I don’t really like overly sweet things, and this was really, really sweet, and left an almost cloying aftertaste at the front of my mouth. I had to use more water than is recommended because I couldn’t handle the sweetness, which unfortunately diluted the spice flavors as well. SO, I am going to say that I would recommend this to someone who wants a sweet, easy, pleasant, and inexpensive warm drink for the winter, but not for someone looking for a real tea flavor.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Milk, Sweet

Creamy and spicy. A special occasion tea for cold days

Flavors: Black Pepper, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Cream

180 °F / 82 °C 8 min or more 4 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I use it with less powder than what it prescribes and it is delicious hot or cold. Once i added matcha and it was sinful :)