Organic Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat

Herbal Tea
Organic Cinnamon Pieces, Organic Echinacea, Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Orange Peel
Anise, Cinnamon, Lemon, Lemongrass, Licorice, Lemon Zest
Tea Bag
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Chi-Town Anglophile

• “Strep totally, totally sucks. This has been helping a little, and it’s been pretty much the only tea-like beverage I’ve come close to enjoying lately. Kick in, meds, kick in!” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 255 tasting notes
  • “No, I’m not sick again but people are coughing and sneezing all around me at the office so I’m trying to stay healthy here. Maybe this tea will kill off some germs. This is a pretty...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2816 tasting notes
  • “Guys…. I have a horrible sore throat.. and I’m not sure if it’s from allergies or not.. I’ve never had them. So I’m drinking a lovely mug of this right now and...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 878 tasting notes
  • “I don’t think anyone drinks this tea “for fun.” It wouldn’t help against something severe, like strep throat, but for a common cold or an annoying tickly throat feeling...” Read full tasting note
    teaqueen 546 tasting notes

From Traditional Medicinals

Organic Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat® is a complex and aromatic blend of herbal tastes–sweet, lemony, and viscous with a characteristic tingle on your tongue from the alkylamides in echinacea, which is one of the important indicators of herb quality.

About Traditional Medicinals View company

MissB

Oh, yuck! Their normal throat coat works well, or anything with licorice if you like licorice. Last time I had strep, gargling with salt water was the only thing that helped, and then finally some oil of oregano and grapefruit seed oil – the last two only because I have to avoid antibiotics due to a bad allergy. I hope you feel better really soon!

Veronica

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon. I had strep back in December, and you’re right, it totally sucks.

TheTeaFairy

Oh no, strep is so awful! Feel better soon!

wheezybee

Thanks, everyone! I am feeling somewhat better, and the salt water has been helping. Still not up to teaching, but at least we’re past the part where I’m contagious.

This is a pretty nice blend if you like the taste of licorice. There’s a lemon note as well but the licorice is pretty overwhelming. Anyway I like it but I’m a licorice fan. It also smells nice. :)

Guys…. I have a horrible sore throat.. and I’m not sure if it’s from allergies or not.. I’ve never had them. So I’m drinking a lovely mug of this right now and it’s helping so much. I love the licorice in this herbal. Light lemony notes and a nice sweetness from the touch of honey I added.

I don’t think anyone drinks this tea “for fun.” It wouldn’t help against something severe, like strep throat, but for a common cold or an annoying tickly throat feeling (such as the one I have currently), this tea is at your service. It relieves the irritation for a little while. I’d rather drink tea than take pills, though, so I may be biased.

This one tastes MUCH better than TM’s regular Throat Coat (I much prefer lemon over cherry bark… the cherry reminds me too much of cough syrup. Trying to gulp down a steaming mug of Robitussin? No thanks) and adding echinacea is always a good idea, in my opinion.

Compared to the regular Throat Coat tea from this company, this tastes like it has significantly less liquorice in it. Therefore, I like it better. Throat is still scratchy so time for some soup.

Stephanie

feel better!

Cheri

I haven’t tried any of the throat coat teas….and less licorice is definitely an improvement on anything.

Feel better!!!!

WOW thats a lot of licorice! so sweet, but very nice for my sore throat.
lemon and echinacea are a super addition to the standard throat coat (plus an upped amount of licorice, again – WOW)
would be even more lovely with some honey :)

Boiling 8 min or more

I bought this tea because my throat has been itchy all evening and a friend of mine just came down with a flu, but I’m not sure if it’s a stomach virus or a real flu, and I’m an emetophobe, but I really don’t want either one anyway, so I’ve been dosing up on every herb in the house today (oregano oil, olive leaf, black walnut hull, echinacea and goldenseal, garlic, plus probiotics and ginger kombucha). The life of an emetophobe and hypochondriac is never dull. Anyway, on to the tea.

The licorice in this definitely ensures that you won’t want to add sugar. It’s almost too sweet for me, actually, but it almost has a cinnamon sweetness. There is, as other people have said, a sort of kick in the throat, but it’s not annoying and it doesn’t burn. I think that if my throat was actually sore, it might have a really nice effect on it. I kind of wish the earthy, root taste was a bit stronger in comparison to the licorice, and I don’t get very much lemon from it. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing because it’s so flavorful already, but I prefer earthy and lemony to sweet and spicy. I don’t think I’d drink this just for the sake of having a cup of tea, because I’d prefer something more robust for that, but this is a surprisingly tasty tea, and I really love the ingredients.

Boiling 8 min or more

For a vocalist, throat health is vital. This relieves a sore throat like nothing else I’ve tried. It has a pretty strong, earthy but kind of sweet flavor, and tastes bitter when steeped too long. Once, when I let it get cold before I finished, it had a rather unpleasant taste.

Bought this in winter because it seemed like a good therapeutic tea to keep on hand during cold season. Fortunately, I never needed it for medicinal purposes. As the anise/licorice flavor was so prominent, I used it a bag at a time in combination with other teas, to soften its flavor profile I don’t know which ingredient soothes the throat the most, but that effect still takes place, even blended as one bag of this with five bags of other teas in one pot.

NOW—the part I never even noticed until before I drank the last bag by itself, so I could review it here: The WARNINGS!! Dunno about you, but I am so used to drinking herbal teas and blends that I forget that all the different plants which make up herbal teas HAVE DIFFERENT EFFECTS ON THE HUMAN BODY. Especially now that I’m getting older and taking daily meds, I have to start paying attention and READ THE HERBAL TEA BOX BEFORE I BUY IT, IN CASE I SHOULDN’T BLEND IT WITH MY MEDS.
This is the entire paragraph at the bottom underneath the “Supplement Facts” box:
CONSULT YOUR HEALTHCARE PRACTITIONER prior to use: if you have low potassium levels, if you have rheumatoid arthritis, an auto-immune disorder or a progressive systemic disease such as tuberculosis, leukosis, collagenous, multiple sclerosis, AIDS or HIV infections; if you are taking immunosuppressants, diuretics, corticosteroids, cardiac glycosides such as digoxin, or potassium-depleting agents, or if you are PREGNANT OR BREASTFEEDING.
DO NOT USE this product if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, or impaired kidney or liver function; if you are allergic to plants in the daisy (Asteraceae) family like chamomile or plants in the parsley (Apiaceae) family such as fennel. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH CHILDREN UNDER 12 YEARS OF AGE.”

So there you have it—a reminder from me to READ EVERY HERBAL TEA BOX FOR WARNINGS, such as these. Even ones you’ve been drinking for ages—just in case. Fortunately for me, having one bag blended with others over a three month period, the 16 bags didn’t seem to do me any harm, even though I have high blood pressure and should not have been drinking this tea.

Flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, Lemon, Lemongrass, Licorice

I’ve had this tea for a while, but never had to drink it up until now. I caught a little bit of a cold- although it has not progressed beyond a bit of a sore throat since I caught it three days go. My husband has more a cough along with a sore throat, but not so much for me.

In terms of taste, this is a very strong licorice tea. I don’t care for the taste, but it does provide some relief. So weighing taste vs medicinal properties, I’ll rate this one a 65. It’s not one I drink “for fun”, but it helps when I need it.

Flavors: Anise, Licorice

Jillian

That’s pretty much how I feel about all of Traditional Medicinals’ offerings

Kristal

Makes sense, but I suppose their marketing is “medicine” and not “delicious tea”.

BTW, although I very, very, rarely drink tea with sweetener, this goes well with honey which helps provide even more relief.