Honey Oolong, Gui Fei - Oolong Tea

Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Honey, Nuts
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Brett

From Tribute Tea Company

With a comparatively short history of production, Honey Oolong gained popularity following the devastating 1999 Taiwan earthquake.

Following the destruction, many tea farmers neglected their crops to rebuild their homes, allowing green leafhoppers to feast on treasured tea plants. The tea plants fought back, however, causing chemical transformations in the leaf, which increased polyphenolic content and tannins. Tea lovers found the result to be delightful, and contrary to traditional wisdom of harvesting the finest leaves the spring, Gui Fei is harvest in the summer (after “the bug bite”).

After a medium oxidation and a light roasting, this fragrant tea leaf reveals aromas of butter, caramel, and cinnamon. A truly unique flavor bouquet includes wild honey and roasted nuts…

Notes: wild honey, Indian spice, cinnamon, pecan

Infusion: 200ºF / 93ºC for 1-2 minutes

Origin: Dong Ding, Nantou County, Taiwan

About Tribute Tea Company View company

First off, thanks to Brett for sharing a sample of this tea with me.
The leaves are rolled up tightly & are of a chocolate brown, with a warm honey aroma that is very enticing. After steeping, the tea reminded me of honey nut cherrios, creating a mildly sweet & comforting cup, with a hint of cinnamon. The leaves are slow to unfurl, & resteep on & on. Once they open, they are beautiful, dark, & their aroma is like cinnamon & vanilla, &…well…honey nut cherrios!

Sarsonator

Sounds amazing. I am adding this one to my wishlist. :)

TheTeaFairy

Yummy! So funny, I drank butiki’s gui fei yesterday, and all I could think of was burnt toasts dripping with honey!

Brett

Thanks Terri, always interesting to hear what different people are tasting… I think I’ll have some for breakfast tomorrow and see if I’m tasting the cheerios as well! Usually in my head I’m thinking about pecan pie, but either way, it’s a fun leaf..

Terri HarpLady

oohhh…toast dripping with honey…
ooohhh, pecan pie!

Terri HarpLady

It really is fun how everyone tastes things a little differently, but then we’ll all notice the same one thing (like honey).

A unique bouquet almost bursts with so many flavors, it’s difficult to narrow down exactly what is being tasted… The obvious notes include various types of honey — I taste buckwheat, tupelo, wildflower, but I’m quite certain that my honey palate is hardly delicate enough to make those claims, but anyway..

When I asked a grower why the process of producing Gui Fei went so deep into the summer, he answered quickly… “Oh, well of course, because we have to wait for the bug bite.” I thought that was hilarious. Wait what? The bug bite?? Was he joking? No. The “bug bite” he was referring to was the invasion of green leafhoppers, which alter the chemical composition of the leaf, and apparently impart its unique flavor profile.

Also, I usually give it a rinse and then jump in with 20-30 second infusions, noting that the 2nd and 3rd infusion result in a unusually thick liquor which is sweet and carries a fairly impressive hui gan… Later infusions, say 4-6 will bring more floral and spicy notes, but the sweet fruits lay off a bit.. Also, the leaves don’t seem to want to unfurl, so I’d add 15-30 seconds in subsequent infusions beyond the 3rd.

So all in all, its an oddly addicting oolong, and highly unique, so please try and let me know what type of tasting notes you are able to pull out, curious to hear!

Flavors: Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Honey, Nuts