2004 Yiwu Mountain sheng - Puerh, raw

Pu Erh Tea, Pu Erh Tea Leaves
Earth, Leather, Pine, Seaweed, Stewed Fruits, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Wood
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Brett

• “A fine transition for curious Puerh drinkers between the potency and raw vegetal notes of a sheng and the earthier, mellowed smooth notes of a decades-aged puerh leaf. I definitely recommend short...” Read full tasting note
    brettpholmes 3 tasting notes
  • “I started drinking puerh teas for the reported health benefit (high cholesterol runs in our family) but now drink it for the full, complex flavours and THIS tea is hearty and delicious. I admit,...” Read full tasting note
    Peg holmes 14 tasting notes

From Tribute Tea Company

Yiwu is one of the most renown tea trading villages in Yunnan. Believed to supply some of the finest Puer leaves, our raw, broad-leaf has matured nearly a decade and has aromas of cedar, campfire, and baked peaches. Its flavor begins with fruity notes of apricots and dates, then gradually produces more woodsy notes in later infusions…

Notes: apricots, dates, cedar

Infusion: 200ºF / 93ºC for 30 seconds

Origin: Yiwu village, Yunnan Province, China

About Tribute Tea Company View company

A fine transition for curious Puerh drinkers between the potency and raw vegetal notes of a sheng and the earthier, mellowed smooth notes of a decades-aged puerh leaf. I definitely recommend short infusions and many… I can get 10-12 without much loss of potency, frequently more.

Flavors: Earth, Leather, Pine, Seaweed, Stewed Fruits, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I started drinking puerh teas for the reported health benefit (high cholesterol runs in our family) but now drink it for the full, complex flavours and THIS tea is hearty and delicious. I admit, however, that the bouquet is not my favorite – very “seaweedy” but the flavor is bold and absolutely delicious.

Brett

I love this batch of 2004 leaves as a starting point for entering the world of naturally aged puer teas… You can see the transformation from the more vegetal, bold raw leaves to a slightly more leathery, woodsy, perhaps earthy, palate. The word “camphor” is often used to describe this pine-like sensation in fermented puer leaves, but I don’t know what that ‘really’ means, so it’s more like camphor tastes like raw 2004 Yiwu puer tea.