Berries, Caramel, Fruit Tree Flowers, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by AJ

• “I've found that trying to do reviews while drinking the tea as a morning tea is a bad idea. I can't pay attention to flavours because I'm half-awake and trying to get food into my...” Read full tasting note
    supermoon10 354 tasting notes
  • “This has got to be one of my all-time favorite black teas, I have yet to find something to replace this at my #1 spot, and although a few have come close nothing has de-throned it just yet. Being...” Read full tasting note
    DriukasLT 31 tasting notes

From TWG Tea Company

TWG Tea’s renowned signature tea, 1837 Black is a unique blend of black tea with notes of fruits and flowers from the Bermuda triangle which leaves a lingering aftertaste of ripe berries, anise, and caramel. A timeless classic.

About TWG Tea Company View company

I’ve found that trying to do reviews while drinking the tea as a morning tea is a bad idea. I can’t pay attention to flavours because I’m half-awake and trying to get food into my system.

However, it smelt strongly of strawberries, followed by other, less identifiable berries. The first sip was tingling and delicious strawberry, and every time you take a very small sip it’s everywhere throughout it and trailing into the aftertaste. The tea itself isn’t passive here, though. It’s a strong tea, not sharp, Ceylon. You taste it more with larger gulps.

There’s a nice sweetness throughout. Not as strong as Marco Polo, but I’m rather liking this anyways.

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite black teas, I have yet to find something to replace this at my #1 spot, and although a few have come close nothing has de-throned it just yet. Being one of TWG’s signature teas, I usually pick it up at one of their salons while in Asia or UK and keep a good supply of it so I don’t run out. Awesome value for the price too, IMHO.

The brewed leaves smell of ripe forest berries muddled with black Vietnamese sugarcane, makes me want to eat them. The aromas of the liquor itself are a bit more subdued, kind of like a hot caramel was poured on top of said berries. The taste is very smooth, but surprisingly not fruity like you would expect based on the smell — center stage are some wood barrel notes, like ones used to age a berry wine or liquor. Although it is excellent unadulterated, 2-3 tsp of raw honey (per 300ml) makes the berries explode to the forefront while the caramelized sugarcane balances it out, reminds me of a dark berry creme brulee. Rockstar all the way.

Flavors: Berries, Caramel, Fruit Tree Flowers, Wood