Weekend in Shanghai Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Devilish

• “I am grieving... because after having been stored in my cupboard for a year, this tea has become stale and lost its charm. When I bought it in Singapore a year ago, it had the most amazing aroma,...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 314 tasting notes
  • “First sip was a little green and bitter. I couldn't make out the flavors at all. The subsequent sips are much better! I get the green base mixed with the strawberries first and then the mint comes...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 474 tasting notes

From TWG Tea Company

An exclusive tribute to a city of juxtapositions. This precious green tea is embellished with ripe red berries, swirls of mystical blossoms and a hint of mint, producing a cup of dazzling freshness.

About TWG Tea Company View company

I am grieving… because after having been stored in my cupboard for a year, this tea has become stale and lost its charm. When I bought it in Singapore a year ago, it had the most amazing aroma, whether dry or brewed. It’s the refreshingly sweet aroma of fresh mint and strawberries! The green tea base was lovely too. Somehow, I think the tea was too wonderful to be named “Weekend in Shangahai”, for I had visited Shanghai and didn’t think it’s such a nice place. I had a hard time deciding whether I liked it or Weekend in Casablanca (which I bought at the same time) more. My rating for this tea was based on my first tasting experience with it.

And what did I find today? The sweet bouquet was still there when I opened the tea tin, but it was much less intense. That did not really bother me… but the weird, foreign taste in my first brew did. I couldn’t really describe it but it tasted like Chinese herbs. You know, herbs stored in the old drawers of Chinese pharmacy for ages and sold for medicinal purpose. I was shocked. Then I thought maybe it was because I used the same cup to brew a hibiscus tea yesterday (Of course I washed the cup after using it. But evil hibiscus does sound like the culprit right? I admit that I’ve never liked hibiscus :P). So I got more dry leaves from the tea and brewed in another cup.

This time, there was less foreign taste. In fact, there wasn’t much taste in the liquor. It was bland, with only the faint aroma of mint+herbal medicine. That really broke my heart. I guess this is the punishment I deserve for buying tea at a rate much faster than my consumption. :( Oh god… I promise that I will drink more tea every day from now on…

cteresa

It happens to me as well – particularly with flavored green teas! Flavoured black teas or plain teas seem to old their charm much longer!

Devilish

Yes yes it does seem to be the case! I have 2 more flavoured green teas from TWG in my cupboard, I’d better consume them ASAP!!

First sip was a little green and bitter. I couldn’t make out the flavors at all. The subsequent sips are much better! I get the green base mixed with the strawberries first and then the mint comes in at the back and rides out the aftertaste. I don’t think I have ever had strawberries and mint, which is why this tea sounded so intriguing. Adding sugar really amps up the berry flavors! It is almost floral at the front of the sip, then I get sweet berries, then more floral and mint in the aftertaste. I must try this cold brewed and iced sometime! I bet the mint would perk up quite a bit! So far I like this!