Gunpowder Green Tea

Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Twinings of London

A rich blend of Green Gunpowder teas from the Orient with a clear fragrance liquor.

As customers increasingly look to lead healthier lifestyles, awareness and consumption of Green Tea is growing. This is mainly due to the fact that Green Tea is a natural source of antioxidants. In addition to tea bags, you can also enjoy your green tea in loose form.

About Twinings of London View company

For the price, it gets the job done when I don’t want a “flavored” green tea. Very mellow flavor.

This tea is decent. It’s not glorious, but when I want to be lazy or brew Western Style, this is what I go to. The leaves are not of the best quality, but that’s kind of what you paid for with this tea. I only brew this in Western Style, the leaves would simply fall out of my Gaiwan since they have been chopped up a bit.

Overall, a decent tea, but not what I have everyday.

Not an exceptionally delicious tea, but the price is right and the taste is decent. It also serves me well when I want to experiment with flavorings, and I find that some cloves, cardamom, and orange zest spruce it up nicely.

Honestly, being a lover of lightish teas, I enjoy this tea. It’s really light! I don’t really drink any green teas, but I could totally get into this!

155 °F / 68 °C

This is one tea that I have been meaning to review for some time. I ended up with a ton of it several months ago and have been working on polishing it off ever since. In a way it is kind of a difficult tea to evaluate fairly. Compared to most gunpowder green teas it is very simple and light in terms of aroma and flavor, yet it is also attractively full-bodied with a comparatively thick texture in the mouth. It isn’t the highest quality leaf in the world, yet one must also understand that the quantity and quality relative to price are both more than fair. Overall, you sort of get what you pay for with this tea, but for what you’re paying you could do worse.

I prepared this tea using the two step Western infusion process I tend to favor for many Chinese green teas. I started off by steeping one teaspoon of loose tea leaves in 8 ounces of 175 F water for 2 minutes. I then followed this infusion with a 3 minute infusion at the same temperature.

Prior to infusion, the dry tea leaves emitted light scents of char, hay, and grass. After infusion, the aromas of char, hay, and grass remained and were joined by aromas of roasted vegetables and lemon. In the mouth, I detected mostly muted notes of lemon, roasted Brussels sprouts, hay, grass, and char. The second infusion was somewhat milder than the first. The lemon and char aromas and flavors were slightly more pronounced and there was a very subtle mineral presence on the finish.

I’m not certain that I can justify a high score for this tea, but I will say that I think this is a good tea for when one is looking for something simple and straight-forward. Since it lacks complex aroma and flavor profiles that change significantly over the course of multiple infusions, I would also expect it to pair well with a range of dishes. It has its uses and it is somewhat appealing in certain ways, but it is also not the sort of tea about which I can get excited. Still, I would encourage anyone interested to try it if and when you are looking for something affordable, basic, and filling.

Flavors: Char, Grass, Hay, Lemon, Mineral, Roasted, Vegetables

This tea gives off a wonderful scent of the farm. Tan in color. The tea dries out my mouth just a little after sipping, but despite that it’s a comforting flavor.

I wonder if I should steep it in slightly cooler water (I let the kettle sit a minute after boil with about 24 oz in the kettle). Also I let it sit for 4 minutes after steeping to cool down a bit.

Flavors: Barnyard

No time for specific taste details right now, another brewing later.

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 30 sec 15 g 41 OZ / 1200 ML

Had to give it to try when I saw it in the supermarket. If not for the tea, then for the nice metal box. :-) Tasting notes follow:
The scent of it is like real gunpowder. I don’t really find it great, to be honest.
Taste: Well, strange, but it’s not that bad. You can feel that its a green tea, and it’s quite a mild one, but it has some strange (bad?) aftertaste. Aside from that, it’s good.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 45 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

Too weak for my tastes – better after along infusion.
Good served cold or iced.

Not the best green tea I’ve tasted