Ceylon Orange Pekoe Tea

Ceylon Black Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Twinings of London

Ceylon Tea comes from the country that today is known as Sri Lanka. Twinings Ceylon tea is made using the finest quality high grown teas from the Dimbula region in western Sri Lanka. In the 1870’s, Ceylon became a major tea producing area after the coffee crop failed. Its tea is still referred to as “Ceylon” despite the country changing its name to Sri Lanka in 1972 following independence. Ceylon is ideal to drink at any time of day and is great for ice tea too. Drink black, with a little milk and sweeten to taste.

About Twinings of London View company

I have this tea almost every day. Adding orange blossom honey really helps bring out the citrus notes.

This is the first time I have had this one. It is the bagged version. I don’t know, it seems kind of thin. I was expecting big bold and malty. The aftertaste is kind of fruity. It is a bit drying. It does remind me of Charleston Plantation black tea.

This weekend has freaking sucked.

Made a cup of this before my giant meeting, and added a spoonful of lemon juice and honey. Here’s to hoping like hell that it helps me kick this cold.

This tea isn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t buy it again. I liked it well enough hot, with or without honey, but it didn’t stand out to me. I’ll probably leave it at my parents house just to have a bit of variety in tea. On a side note, the only orange I noticed was maybe a hint of orange blossom in the smell once brewed.

I had this one years ago and have not been able to find it locally again. One of the best orange pekoes I’ve tried.

Again I must repeat, Twinings US tea bags are made for 6 oz cups…not the huge mugs most people use to brew tea, so if it tastes weak to you that may be the issue.

So apparently Twinnings does OP in a k-cup. I had no idea…
Being my first day at work though, I gave it a try. Not terrible overall, I’d say. I don’t mind overly strong black tea as long as there is milk and sugar around. It always reminds me of the way my friend who descends from Ireland makes tea. Ie he lets tetley steep forever. and ever. ha. Wait, did I just compare Twinnings to Tetley? Ooops.
Anyhow. Always feels like bad luck bringing tea from home on my first day. It never goes well when I do, people look at you funny.
If you do it once settled in, nobody pays attention. But on the first day? yeah, not a great first impression, though I haven’t figured out why just yet!!

Tea has an inherent aspect of coziness for me. Maybe we’re not supposed to feel so cozy on our first days somewhere? Hope your second week goes well and you settle into bringing your own tea.

Hmmm that’s a fair point CelticBrew! They have free coffee at the very least :)
I’m only there for three weeks, sadly. It certainly has been interesting so far!!

Seems the main complaint with this one is its bitterness. Can’t say I disagree. It’s a very dry, papery, bitter flavor, but with a little sugar it mellows a bit. It’s not bad, and for a bagged tea it’s a decent option, one that I’ve purchased more than once. However there are better Orange Pekoes out there. Oddly enough I like the Stop & Shop brand OP tea better, it’s a little lighter and not as dry.

I’m surprised by how low this tea is rated on here. Of course it’s not the best tea in the world, but, in my opinion, it’s a nice basic black tea. I enjoy drinking this in the late afternoon…it doesn’t have the strength of the morning Irish or English Breakfast Tea, but it’s pretty smooth for an inexpensive bagged tea. To be honest, I’ve never tasted a Ceylon I didn’t like, and this one is no exception.

This tea has a unique taste, and it’s not too citrusy to be overpowering. Just a little touch. I steep this longer than most of my other teas because it has a tendency to taste watery. It’s not my favorite tea, but I have a cup on occasion.

8 min or more

It tastes like straight black tea. Not into it.