Ceylon Orange Pekoe Tea

Ceylon Black Tea
Bitter, Astringent, Tannic, Tannin, Almond, Brown Toast, Dry Grass, Honey, Malt, Smooth, Straw
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Twinings of London

Ceylon Tea comes from the country that today is known as Sri Lanka. Twinings Ceylon tea is made using the finest quality high grown teas from the Dimbula region in western Sri Lanka. In the 1870’s, Ceylon became a major tea producing area after the coffee crop failed. Its tea is still referred to as “Ceylon” despite the country changing its name to Sri Lanka in 1972 following independence. Ceylon is ideal to drink at any time of day and is great for ice tea too. Drink black, with a little milk and sweeten to taste.

About Twinings of London View company

I have this tea almost every day. Adding orange blossom honey really helps bring out the citrus notes.

This is the first time I have had this one. It is the bagged version. I don’t know, it seems kind of thin. I was expecting big bold and malty. The aftertaste is kind of fruity. It is a bit drying. It does remind me of Charleston Plantation black tea.

Siiiiiiiiiiick.

This weekend has freaking sucked.

Made a cup of this before my giant meeting, and added a spoonful of lemon juice and honey. Here’s to hoping like hell that it helps me kick this cold.

This tea isn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t buy it again. I liked it well enough hot, with or without honey, but it didn’t stand out to me. I’ll probably leave it at my parents house just to have a bit of variety in tea. On a side note, the only orange I noticed was maybe a hint of orange blossom in the smell once brewed.

I had this one years ago and have not been able to find it locally again. One of the best orange pekoes I’ve tried.

Again I must repeat, Twinings US tea bags are made for 6 oz cups…not the huge mugs most people use to brew tea, so if it tastes weak to you that may be the issue.

Not my favorite. Can’t tell if that’s because I don’t like Ceylon or if it’s because I don’t like this tea: it’s sharp, muddy, bitter, and easy to oversteep.

Flavors: Bitter

I have a friend who really loves strong black teas. I’ve seen her steep black teas known to be tannic for more than 5 minutes. I’m going to recommend this tea to her because it steeps fast and strong.

I accidentally left the teabag in for about 5 minutes in warm (but not hot) water, however I found the brew much to strong and had to dilute it to half water/half tea. I recommend steeping for 2 minutes and then accessing the strength before continuing to steep. This is a flavourful and tannic blend that I found astringent but fairly pleasant. I think this would make a very nice latte because it would be strong enough to taste good through the milk.

I didn’t taste malt at all like some other users did, however I found the flavour complex with a lot of interesting undertones. It almost tasted aged or processed differently than I expected. This was a pleasant surprise because I expected this to be very generic.

Flavors: Astringent, Tannic, Tannin

170 °F / 76 °C 6 min, 0 sec 15 OZ / 450 ML

This is the third Twinings product I bought in the last week. I nabbed it along with a box of Prince of Wales and a box of Darjeeling while all were on sale. It is my least favorite of the three so far, but that being said, it really is not all that bad.

In the glass, this tea is lovely. It shows a warm, dark orange-tinged amber. The nose is fairly nondescript. I can just pick up faint aromas of dried grass, straw, toast, malt, honey, and perhaps a bit of almond. In the mouth, the tea is on the lighter side of medium in terms of body. A crisp, clean entry reveals fleeting impressions of toast, almond, dried grass, malt, and straw with a hint of honey. Even though there is not a ton going on flavorwise, this tea is clean and smooth in the mouth with little bitterness or astringency. The finish is clean and clipped, imparting a touch of almond, honey, toast, and grass flavors.

With an addition of cream, the tea completely transforms. As expected, it becomes smoother in the mouth. The light maltiness and nuttiness of the tea becomes more pronounced while the honey sweetness and dry, crisp grassy notes take a backseat. I imagine that this would be even better with both cream/milk and honey. I will have to give that a try sometime.

In the end, this tea is okay. Truthfully, I am not the hugest fan of most Ceylon teas, and in general, I find orange pekoe to be kind of a basic tea. What I mean by that is I’ve just never found a pekoe that really sticks out to me. In my opinion, pekoe is good to give a blend body and a little bit of crispness, but in terms of flavor, I find it to be too soft, clean, and sterile to really stand up on its own. This product does virtually nothing to change my opinion of pekoe, but then again, it could serve a purpose as an easy drinking breakfast tea to pair with food. Even though it doesn’t do much for me, I guess I’m just not willing to write it off completely.

Flavors: Almond, Brown Toast, Dry Grass, Honey, Malt, Smooth, Straw

So apparently Twinnings does OP in a k-cup. I had no idea…
Being my first day at work though, I gave it a try. Not terrible overall, I’d say. I don’t mind overly strong black tea as long as there is milk and sugar around. It always reminds me of the way my friend who descends from Ireland makes tea. Ie he lets tetley steep forever. and ever. ha. Wait, did I just compare Twinnings to Tetley? Ooops.
Anyhow. Always feels like bad luck bringing tea from home on my first day. It never goes well when I do, people look at you funny.
If you do it once settled in, nobody pays attention. But on the first day? yeah, not a great first impression, though I haven’t figured out why just yet!!

CelticBrew

Tea has an inherent aspect of coziness for me. Maybe we’re not supposed to feel so cozy on our first days somewhere? Hope your second week goes well and you settle into bringing your own tea.

Indigobloom

Hmmm that’s a fair point CelticBrew! They have free coffee at the very least :)
I’m only there for three weeks, sadly. It certainly has been interesting so far!!

Seems the main complaint with this one is its bitterness. Can’t say I disagree. It’s a very dry, papery, bitter flavor, but with a little sugar it mellows a bit. It’s not bad, and for a bagged tea it’s a decent option, one that I’ve purchased more than once. However there are better Orange Pekoes out there. Oddly enough I like the Stop & Shop brand OP tea better, it’s a little lighter and not as dry.