Ceylon Orange Pekoe Tea

Ceylon Black Tea
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Twinings of London

Ceylon Tea comes from the country that today is known as Sri Lanka. Twinings Ceylon tea is made using the finest quality high grown teas from the Dimbula region in western Sri Lanka. In the 1870’s, Ceylon became a major tea producing area after the coffee crop failed. Its tea is still referred to as “Ceylon” despite the country changing its name to Sri Lanka in 1972 following independence. Ceylon is ideal to drink at any time of day and is great for ice tea too. Drink black, with a little milk and sweeten to taste.

About Twinings of London View company

I have this tea almost every day. Adding orange blossom honey really helps bring out the citrus notes.

This is the first time I have had this one. It is the bagged version. I don’t know, it seems kind of thin. I was expecting big bold and malty. The aftertaste is kind of fruity. It is a bit drying. It does remind me of Charleston Plantation black tea.

Siiiiiiiiiiick.

This weekend has freaking sucked.

Made a cup of this before my giant meeting, and added a spoonful of lemon juice and honey. Here’s to hoping like hell that it helps me kick this cold.

This tea isn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t buy it again. I liked it well enough hot, with or without honey, but it didn’t stand out to me. I’ll probably leave it at my parents house just to have a bit of variety in tea. On a side note, the only orange I noticed was maybe a hint of orange blossom in the smell once brewed.

I had this one years ago and have not been able to find it locally again. One of the best orange pekoes I’ve tried.

Again I must repeat, Twinings US tea bags are made for 6 oz cups…not the huge mugs most people use to brew tea, so if it tastes weak to you that may be the issue.

Seems the main complaint with this one is its bitterness. Can’t say I disagree. It’s a very dry, papery, bitter flavor, but with a little sugar it mellows a bit. It’s not bad, and for a bagged tea it’s a decent option, one that I’ve purchased more than once. However there are better Orange Pekoes out there. Oddly enough I like the Stop & Shop brand OP tea better, it’s a little lighter and not as dry.

I’m surprised by how low this tea is rated on here. Of course it’s not the best tea in the world, but, in my opinion, it’s a nice basic black tea. I enjoy drinking this in the late afternoon…it doesn’t have the strength of the morning Irish or English Breakfast Tea, but it’s pretty smooth for an inexpensive bagged tea. To be honest, I’ve never tasted a Ceylon I didn’t like, and this one is no exception.

This tea has a unique taste, and it’s not too citrusy to be overpowering. Just a little touch. I steep this longer than most of my other teas because it has a tendency to taste watery. It’s not my favorite tea, but I have a cup on occasion.

8 min or more

It tastes like straight black tea. Not into it.

I was in Indiana this past weekend visiting some friends and I knew I wasn’t in DC anymore, Toto, when I walked into the supermarket and asked a clerk where the tea was.

He looked at me. “What kind of tea?”
I’m sure I gave him a “are you stupid or just sh*tting me” look in return.
“Do you mean the kind in bags that goes in hot water?” he clarified, complete with hand motions miming lifting a tea bag in and out of a mug of water.
After he directed me to the tea aisle, I realized he was differentiating between tea and iced tea – the kind you make with a powder and was nowhere to be found near the bagged teas.

My mind. It is boggled.

Anyway, among the boxes of bagged tea, there were a few lone tins of loose tea by Twinings. I was thrilled to find them, even though quality-wise, I knew they weren’t that great. I needed caffeine. So I snagged a tin of the Ceylon Orange Pekoe, which was what got me through several semesters of 8 AM classes in college, albeit in bagged form.

Ceylon Orange Pekoe is nothing special. It’s just a plain black tea. There is no subtlety to the flavor, and no fruit taste I can discern. But it was tea. And it was caffeinated. And it helped me get through the hours in Indiana with my friend’s crazy family until it was socially acceptable to move to alcohol.

Cheri

I laughed out loud at this. My mind is also boggled.

Debbie

I had such culture shock this weekend. Between the tea, being served mushrooms in BBQ sauce, and the smoked American cheese masquerading as “gouda”…

Cheri

Wow. Just…Wow.

Mushrooms in BBQ sauce?? Smoked American cheese?? Wow.