Irish Breakfast Tea

Astringent, Floral, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Joker

• “I usually drink this bagged tea only in decaf, but today called for caf, so I yoinked a bag from my hubby’s stash. (I don’t know how he brews it for 5 min – after 3 it was looking...” Read full tasting note
    janefan 2974 tasting notes
  • “I’m not gung-ho on bagged teas generally, but I was looking for a cheap, decent black tea mainly to try for cold brewing. I had this about 7.5 years ago, and I thought it was O.K. I decided...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I have KeenTeaThyme to thank for sending me a bag of this. Thank you! Twinings is a company (or shall I say “are companies”?) that confuse me. It seems like there are...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “I’m sure I have had this at some point in history. I can’t find any notes I’ve ever written about it. It is one of the half dozen Twinings teas that have always been on the local...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1613 tasting notes

From Twinings

A strong, full-bodied black tea from the regions of Ceylon and Assam expertly blended with a hearty flavor and delightful aroma.

The Irish really love their tea and are amongst the most frequent drinkers of tea around the world. In celebration of this tea drinking tradition, Twinings blended a special Irish Breakfast Blend. This tea is best taken with milk and sweetened to taste to bring out the best flavor.

About Twinings View company

A hearty go-to breakfast tea.

Flavors: Floral

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I’ve been battling an exceptionally dry throat for the last four days, with my voice cutting out on me and going gravelly, so last night I decided that instead of wasting the good stuff, I’d pop in a cheapo bag of something or other. I even went all cavalier with the brewing method and brewed it in the mug, in the microwave, as the water heated.

(I know! SACRILEGE!)

But you know what? It turned out to be a rather splendid mug of tea, even after all the rule-breaking. I rather appreciate that Twinings Irish Breakfast is pretty forgiving. It’s not overly malty or astringent, and it doesn’t go bitter as easily as the English and Irish imports do (Here’s looking at you, Yorkshire Gold!).

I simply love this tea. I typically drink it first thing in the morning when I need a solid caffeine punch, and it’s very satisfying due to the savory, malty taste. Best enjoyed black and steeped for a full 3-4 minutes, in my opinion – though I’ll admit to often leaving the bag in until I’m finished, and even then I don’t detect any real astringency.

Irish Breakfast tea makes me think of cozy woolen socks, gray cloudy mornings, and crackling fires. It’s the coffee of teas.

Flavors: Malt

Overall, this is a nice cup of tea. I don’t know if I’ve just become used to strong Assams, but the strength was a little lighter than I expected…strong enough for the morning, but maybe not for the first cup. However, it is very smooth, and, as with other Twinings products, great for the price that you pay.

After staying up till 3 am and waking up at the usual time, I wanted to drink something strong this morning. Tastes good with milk and sugar!

I bought this tea at World Market yesterday. Just imagine, there I am in front of the teas there, looking at Steepster on my phone, trying to find the ratings for the teas I’m looking for.

I was looking for a ‘breakfast blend’…something to wake up to. I read (on Steepster, of course), that Irish Breakfast Blends were stronger than English, so I decided to buy this tea (it also had fairly good ratings here, which helped).

I enjoyed this tea this morning. I can definitely taste the malt. It did provide that jolt I needed, and I thought it was a good tea, bagged or otherwise. I don’t know if a loose leaf variety would have been different, but I got 2 steeps out of the bag, with the 2nd steep being weaker. I would drink this again.

3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Haha, I’ve definately done the ‘Steepster on the phone for reviews’ thing at WM… and at the grocery store.

Mmmm, I like this a lot! English breakfast teas tend to be almost floral, which is not a quality I enjoy in black tea (although I adore floral greens) and Scottish breakfast tea is so astringent and malty and tough to take. This strikes a nice balance between the two. Nicely blended, no floral quality, strong and malty without feeling like an assault on the senses. Also takes milk rather nicely — maintained a lovely ambery color and strong flavor even after a splash was added.

Its amazing!My friend and i drink it with french vanilla cream which makes it taste incredible!Its near a cappuccino but still tastes like a tea

A bit deeper than English Breakfast at first. But then evened out to the same. I enjoyed it very much.

Tastes pretty bitter to me. Tried to subdue it with some milk. It tasted best to me when the milk had settled and the tea cooled down. Although it was drinkable, I’ll probably avoid teas such as this one in the future. I’m left wondering whether this one is representative of most Assam teas.