Irish Breakfast Tea

Bitter, Malt, Vegetal, Astringent, Floral, Lemon, Nutty, Pleasantly Sour, Wet Earth
Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Amanda

• “I usually drink this bagged tea only in decaf, but today called for caf, so I yoinked a bag from my hubby’s stash. (I don’t know how he brews it for 5 min – after 3 it was looking...” Read full tasting note
    janefan 2978 tasting notes
  • “I’m not gung-ho on bagged teas generally, but I was looking for a cheap, decent black tea mainly to try for cold brewing. I had this about 7.5 years ago, and I thought it was O.K. I decided...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I have KeenTeaThyme to thank for sending me a bag of this. Thank you! Twinings is a company (or shall I say “are companies”?) that confuse me. It seems like there are...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4846 tasting notes
  • “I’m sure I have had this at some point in history. I can’t find any notes I’ve ever written about it. It is one of the half dozen Twinings teas that have always been on the local...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1691 tasting notes

From Twinings

The Irish really love their tea and are amongst the most frequent drinkers of tea around the world. In celebration of this tea drinking tradition, Twinings blended a special Irish Breakfast Blend. This tea is best taken with milk and sweetened to taste to bring out the best flavor.

This blend combines teas carefully selected from four distinct regions to give it added body, flavour and strength. The bold taste originates from teas grown in the tropical climate of Assam and the rich, amber color from teas grown in the fertile terra rossa soil of Kenya. The hardiness from these regions is complemented by the softer and more subtle teas from Indonesia and China to yield a full-bodied tea with a smooth finish.

-Dec. 2015

About Twinings View company

Its amazing!My friend and i drink it with french vanilla cream which makes it taste incredible!Its near a cappuccino but still tastes like a tea

A bit deeper than English Breakfast at first. But then evened out to the same. I enjoyed it very much.

Tastes pretty bitter to me. Tried to subdue it with some milk. It tasted best to me when the milk had settled and the tea cooled down. Although it was drinkable, I’ll probably avoid teas such as this one in the future. I’m left wondering whether this one is representative of most Assam teas.

This is the first bagged tea I have really enjoyed hot. Granted, I have not tried many, but the ones I have tried are just too weak of a flavor for me. This tea is a big step up in strength from the English Breakfast blend, and also a big step up in flavor. In fact, it reminds me a lot of coffee. I drink it black, just like coffee, and it is very full bodied and malty without being the least bit bitter. This is definitely my go-to for bagged, unflavored black tea.

This is my go-to tea when I need caffeine, like this morning as we’re out of coffee at home. It’s reasonably priced but not cheap quality, and no matter how long I brew it, it doesn’t get a bitter or stringent flavor (which is good, because I drink my tea black). It ain’t coffee, but it’s damn good tea.

My favorite bagged tea at the moment. It’s so robust and flavorful, perfect for the cold morning or dreary day. Pick it up if you want a quick tea on a lazy day.

My favorite bagged tea from Twinings. Just the right kick of Assam in the mornings.

Had this again, but steeped it much longer. The result was quite similar – apparently this is not a tea I need to worry about over-steeping.

When it’s early in the morning and you’re not quite ready for loud noises or shocks to your system, this tea is a nice quiet selection. It’s a very mild breakfast tea, even after a full five minutes of steeping. There is a twinge of malt to the flavor and a slight non-offensive aftertaste. I find it to be a good choice on those sensitive mornings to rev up my metabolism for my next, more daring, cup of tea.

I’m usually not much of a drinker of black teas, but I needed a certain boost earlier and found myself turning to Irish Breakfast Tea as my first resort. I definitely tasted the malt in the tea, and found it strong, but in a way that wasn’t too over-bearing. Mixing it with a bit of vanilla soy milk definitely toned it down to perfection for me, but this will certainly be something I’ll be drinking in the morning to keep me going!