Decaffeinated Chai

Anise
Tea Bag
Decaffeinated
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Ok... this is getting a major rating boost. Made it the way I normally have my chai 1 cup each water and Fat Free Smart Balance milk and added a min of steeping time. No sweetener. This is the...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “Ugh, I am _so_ spoiled by loose leaf. I picked up a box of this because I like having chai at night, and it was on sale, so it was worth a try. I steeped it for 20 minutes and it still tastes...” Read full tasting note
    teabird 405 tasting notes
  • “The first tea I remember drinking (and actually enjoying) was a sweet and frothy chai latte from my university cafe. A professor of mine encouraged me to try it, and for the remainder of my...” Read full tasting note
    spharo 43 tasting notes
  • “Not my favorite caffeine-free chai. The cinnamon is very strong, almost Red Hots-style. I can taste some ginger and (less) clove, but there’s something excessively sweet and slightly artificial...” Read full tasting note
    greenteafairy 208 tasting notes

From Twinings

The finest naturally decaffeinated black tea expertly blended with the sweet and savory spice flavors of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and ginger to deliver a flavorful tea with a warm, soothing aroma and bold, spicy taste.

Ingredients: Naturally Decaffeinated Black Tea, Natural Chai, Cinnamon & Ginger Flavours with Other Natural Flavours, Cardamom, Clove

About Twinings View company

Ok… this is getting a major rating boost. Made it the way I normally have my chai 1 cup each water and Fat Free Smart Balance milk and added a min of steeping time. No sweetener. This is the best non chocolate chai I’ve EVER had… and I’m shocked it’s a decaf bag. The spices aren’t strong, they’re very smooth… I’m not sure why, but I swear this even has a different texture than my Mayan Chocolate Chai. This has a lot of similar qualities to the authentic Indian chai I had at a restaurant once only it’s actually drinkable lol. I’m thinking the milk in that chai just had scorched milk… I dunno. Anyway REALLY good. I suggest making it w/ chocolate milk.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

Ugh, I am so spoiled by loose leaf. I picked up a box of this because I like having chai at night, and it was on sale, so it was worth a try.

I steeped it for 20 minutes and it still tastes weak and watery. If you like ginger, though, you might like it just fine. The spice blend completely overwhelms any black tea flavor, and is dominated by ginger. Some cinnamon and clove are detectable, but I couldn’t find the cardamom. I’ll probably finish the box; it’s not bad just unremarkable and kind of artificially sweet from the ginger flavoring.

Boiling 8 min or more
Cofftea

Holy cow! That’s vastly different than my experience… sad… :(

The first tea I remember drinking (and actually enjoying) was a sweet and frothy chai latte from my university cafe. A professor of mine encouraged me to try it, and for the remainder of my freshman year I must have bought one every week. I loved the warmth from the spices and the creaminess of the milk.

I picked up this tea a while back, hoping to recreate the experience. I made this cup at work so I wasn’t able to brew it as a latte. Instead, I added cream and sugar once the tea had finished steeping. I’m pretty sure this contributed to the lackluster taste. The tea smelled of Red Hots candy and tasted mostly of anise. It was watered down and bland, but definitely spiced. In fact, I tasted only spice and no tea.

I will try this again, but will definitely be making it a little differently next time. If it fails as a drinkable tea, I’ve found a recipe for Chai Latte Ice Cream that should serve as a nice way to use up the rest.

Flavors: Anise

200 °F / 93 °C 6 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Not my favorite caffeine-free chai. The cinnamon is very strong, almost Red Hots-style. I can taste some ginger and (less) clove, but there’s something excessively sweet and slightly artificial going on. There’s not much to say about the tea base—it doesn’t stand up to the spice flavors at all, but I realize you can’t expect too much from decaffeinated tea so I’m trying not to judge too harshly on that point. It’s better with some (soy)milk, but then most chais are. I much prefer Celestial Seasonings’ decaf chai, as far as accessible teabag options go—or, even better, Organic India’s Red Chai Masala for something a little bit different.

My favorite Decaf Chai by far, and I have tried many. I am a bag in person for my chais, but I made it as my tea drinking friend showed me. I put my water in my kettle and upon whistling, I poured it over my tea back in my mug. After five minutes, I added a tablespoon (or so) of sweetened condensed milk and topped it with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon. It was fantastic. Better than any Chai Latte I have gotten at a coffee shop. Unfortunately I do not live in an area where this is sold anymore. I really wished I had stocked up before I moved.

Boiling 8 min or more

I bought this because I like a comforting kind of tea before bed, and I’m not a fan of chamomile. So naturally, the promise of decaf chai lured me in at the grocery store.

It’s not bad. It’s just…weak. I steeped it for five minutes, and it was nowhere close to the kind of punch in spices and tea flavor that I like. I’ll probably try to steep it longer next time, and maybe two bags instead of just one. I doctored it with milk and sugar and a ton of cinnamon and it was a little better.

That’ll teach me to buy pre-bagged chai. Haha.

Thought it was excellent with a little milk and just a pinch of brown suger. Very comforting tea.

I’ve had about 5 or 6 cups of this tea and find that while it’s not bad, it’s lacking in flavour. I’ve had other grocery store decaf chais that have been much better than this.

I love that I found a decaf chai that’s cheap as hell, and (in my opinion) pretty tasty. Definitely a little weak, I like my chai with more bite to it, but with a good bit of sugar and some cream, its great. Just steep it for a while. Like, over 5 minutes.