Decaffeinated Chai

Cinnamon, Cloves, Anise, Spices, Ginger, Spicy
Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

From Twinings

The finest naturally decaffeinated black tea expertly blended with the sweet and savory spice flavors of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and ginger to deliver a flavorful tea with a warm, soothing aroma and bold, spicy taste.

Ingredients: Naturally Decaffeinated Black Tea, Natural Chai, Cinnamon & Ginger Flavours with Other Natural Flavours, Cardamom, Clove

About Twinings View company

Ok… this is getting a major rating boost. Made it the way I normally have my chai 1 cup each water and Fat Free Smart Balance milk and added a min of steeping time. No sweetener. This is the best non chocolate chai I’ve EVER had… and I’m shocked it’s a decaf bag. The spices aren’t strong, they’re very smooth… I’m not sure why, but I swear this even has a different texture than my Mayan Chocolate Chai. This has a lot of similar qualities to the authentic Indian chai I had at a restaurant once only it’s actually drinkable lol. I’m thinking the milk in that chai just had scorched milk… I dunno. Anyway REALLY good. I suggest making it w/ chocolate milk.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

Ugh, I am so spoiled by loose leaf. I picked up a box of this because I like having chai at night, and it was on sale, so it was worth a try.

I steeped it for 20 minutes and it still tastes weak and watery. If you like ginger, though, you might like it just fine. The spice blend completely overwhelms any black tea flavor, and is dominated by ginger. Some cinnamon and clove are detectable, but I couldn’t find the cardamom. I’ll probably finish the box; it’s not bad just unremarkable and kind of artificially sweet from the ginger flavoring.

Holy cow! That’s vastly different than my experience… sad… :(

Meh. Pretty standard, pleasant cinnamon-flavored tea.

Flavors: Cinnamon

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

Earlier this month was the first time I’d ever had chai. I bought a small box of concentrated decaf chai latte made by Tazo. I had nothing to compare it to, but it was wonderful. When buying this box of chai tea, I thought I’d have a similar experience, especially considering that most Twinings teas are pretty good.

I tried not to expect much, because it is a decaffeinated tea after all, which can be pretty hit or miss, but despite this, I was still a little disappointed. Upon steeping, the smell was that of an overpowering artificial cinnamon. It reminded me a lot of Red Hots candy. To prepare it, I added 2 teaspoons of sugar and a dash of milk.

The taste with my additions was still much like Red Hots. There was also an artificial sweetness in the background as well. I couldn’t really taste the tea or any other flavors, save for a hint of cloves. I wasn’t so bothered that I couldn’t finish my cup, but I don’t think I will be buying this again once I’ve finished the box. I’m sure there are better decaf chai teas out there. Sadly, this one wasn’t as wonderful as I had hoped it’d be.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’ve grown tired of drinking this one as it’s not my favorite so I decided today to use the rest of my box in a batch of chai ice cream. Dirty chai, actually, which I just learned is chai with a shot of espresso mixed in. I followed this recipe:

I tweaked it a little based on what I had in the kitchen (no ginger, cloves, or orange zest) and it turned out amazing! It’s spicy and creamy with a bold punch from the coffee. I don’t plan on purchasing another box of this tea, but I will be trying this recipe again in the future. It’s wonderful!

Boiling 8 min or more

Not my favorite caffeine-free chai. The cinnamon is very strong, almost Red Hots-style. I can taste some ginger and (less) clove, but there’s something excessively sweet and slightly artificial going on. There’s not much to say about the tea base—it doesn’t stand up to the spice flavors at all, but I realize you can’t expect too much from decaffeinated tea so I’m trying not to judge too harshly on that point. It’s better with some (soy)milk, but then most chais are. I much prefer Celestial Seasonings’ decaf chai, as far as accessible teabag options go—or, even better, Organic India’s Red Chai Masala for something a little bit different.

My favorite Decaf Chai by far, and I have tried many. I am a bag in person for my chais, but I made it as my tea drinking friend showed me. I put my water in my kettle and upon whistling, I poured it over my tea back in my mug. After five minutes, I added a tablespoon (or so) of sweetened condensed milk and topped it with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon. It was fantastic. Better than any Chai Latte I have gotten at a coffee shop. Unfortunately I do not live in an area where this is sold anymore. I really wished I had stocked up before I moved.

Boiling 8 min or more

I bought this because I like a comforting kind of tea before bed, and I’m not a fan of chamomile. So naturally, the promise of decaf chai lured me in at the grocery store.

It’s not bad. It’s just…weak. I steeped it for five minutes, and it was nowhere close to the kind of punch in spices and tea flavor that I like. I’ll probably try to steep it longer next time, and maybe two bags instead of just one. I doctored it with milk and sugar and a ton of cinnamon and it was a little better.

That’ll teach me to buy pre-bagged chai. Haha.

Thought it was excellent with a little milk and just a pinch of brown suger. Very comforting tea.

I’ve had about 5 or 6 cups of this tea and find that while it’s not bad, it’s lacking in flavour. I’ve had other grocery store decaf chais that have been much better than this.