Earl Grey

Bergamot, Black Tea
Bergamot, Orange, Citrus, Citrus Zest, Astringent, Bitter, Green, Lemon Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Orange Zest, Vanilla, Butterscotch, Guava
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “I found a recipe for Earl Grey lemonade and it made me curious. It has been very hot here recently and I have been drinking a fair amount of half-tea, half-lemonade that my fiance’s mother...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “I have one more bag of this. I used to drink this often and loved it. Now I am finding it kind of meh. I hate it when the classics don’t quite live up to the memory.” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1611 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea I bought, mainly because I like Earl Grey. It is really one of my favorite [fruit flavored] teas. Surprisingly, I haven’t had all that many different brands of it, nor do...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I am kind of confused by the myriad of Earl Greys that Twining’s seems to offer. I am now in Heathrow Airport (London) on my way to Madagascar and I had a bagged EG that wasn’t the...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes

From Twinings

Fine black tea expertly blended with the citrus fruit flavor of bergamot, a citrus fruit.

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 2-4 minutes or to desired taste.

Ingredients: Black Tea, Bergamot Flavouring

About Twinings View company

Tasted better before I added sugar, next time I will have plain which is nice and easy! Good for when I feel like something stronger in flavor than Lady Grey.

If you want a SUPER caffeine kick, Earl Grey loose leaf by Taylors of Harrogate will knock your socks off! It’s not overly bergamonted and they use china black tea. A beautiful and robust combination. :)

That sounds great- thanks for the suggestion!

Delicious! Dee-lish!

Not at good as Lupicia’s Earl Grey (which surprised me because this is Twinings!), but still a good substitute when I’m craving that bergamot flavor.

It’s not overly strong bergamot, which I guess a lot of users dislike this blend for. But nevertheless, I still like it!

I don’t want my bergamot eating a hole through my stomach. This tea contains just enough to let me know what I’m drinking without making me woozy.

With just a little bit of sugar, this tea has me ready to tackle anything!

Really, there are so many mediocre earl grey blends out there… and this is one of them. I generally like Twinings, but I am definitely not impressed with this tea. Really, it seems like a cardinal sin to make a bad earl grey blend. It’s just that much more disappointing.

The bergamot flavour in this tea is subtle and I am happy about that because the last earl grey I bought was wayyyy too strong on citrus and I wasn’t able to enjoy it. I’ve been luckier so far with bagged earl greys than with loose leaf. I wish I could find a good loose leaf earl grey because I always find that the bagged ones lack in flavour complexity. Anyway, this one is a safe bet! If you’re not sure about earl greys I would suggest trying this one first because it’s nice and light and the bergamot flavour isn’t too perfume-y. But don’t expect to be blown away by this.

For Christmas my sister got me a Tea For One set that came wit ha couple bags of Twinings Earl Grey. I thought the bags looked a little old and beat up but decided to try one anyway, I’ve been meaning to do a comparison of Twinings and Bigelow bagged Earl Grey.

I can taste the bergamot… But I can also taste the cardboard box the Tea For One set was in. It would be unfair to give this tea a rating when it has gotten old and the packaging damaged. So far Bigelow is winning in the bagged EG comparison but I’m pretty sure Twining can do better than this.

Currently my default earl grey. Grew up making this for adults so acquired the taste slowly throughout my childhood.

This a pretty standard everyday cup. Smells and tastes of bergamot, as one would expect. A little milk can be okay, but sugar doesn’t really fit for my tastes. Oversteeping unfortunately yields a chalky mouthfeel and residue on the cup.

This is the tea I drank last week-end for breakfast in a hotel. I had already had it before in the same conditions but did not remember what I had thought or not paid enough attention. This time I did.
The taste was ok, stronger on the bergamot than on the tea side, which is to be expected considering the fact there are not tea leaves in the bag but only small pieces, that leaks black powder at the bottom of the teapot.
For a widely available throughout supermarkets at a reasonable price, I found it reasonably pleasant. Not a tea I would buy, but one I would really prefer to a classic yellow lipton for instance !

Twinings is my favourite bagged tea, hands down, and I always keep some Earl Grey on hand. It’s a good, solid rendition of this famous tea and it is wonderfully relaxing right before bed (I stick the the decaf version).

Had this at the French restaurant as well. I plucked a spearmint leaf off the garnish on my plate and stuck it in this tea. They seemed to go surprisingly well together, though the bergamot flavor could be stronger.