Earl Grey

Bergamot, Black Tea
Bergamot, Citrus, Cream, Citrus Zest, Earth, Floral, Malt, Nuts, Wood, Honey, Perfume, Cloves, Dark Wood, Orange Zest, Orange, Astringent, Bitter, Green, Lemon Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Vanilla, Butterscotch, Guava
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Amanda

• “I found a recipe for Earl Grey lemonade and it made me curious. It has been very hot here recently and I have been drinking a fair amount of half-tea, half-lemonade that my fiance’s mother...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “I have one more bag of this. I used to drink this often and loved it. Now I am finding it kind of meh. I hate it when the classics don’t quite live up to the memory.” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1689 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea I bought, mainly because I like Earl Grey. It is really one of my favorite [fruit flavored] teas. Surprisingly, I haven’t had all that many different brands of it, nor do...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I am kind of confused by the myriad of Earl Greys that Twining’s seems to offer. I am now in Heathrow Airport (London) on my way to Madagascar and I had a bagged EG that wasn’t the...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2183 tasting notes

From Twinings

Fine black tea expertly blended with the citrus fruit flavor of bergamot, a citrus fruit.

“Twinings has been blending my family tea for years. Today, I am proud to continue this tradition with the tea celebrated throughout the world known as Twinings Earl Grey. Legend has it that my ancestor, the second Earl Grey, was presented with this exquisite reciep by an envoy on his return from China. -The sixth Earl Grey” (Dec. 2015)

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 2-4 minutes or to desired taste.

Ingredients: Black Tea, Bergamot Flavouring

About Twinings View company

I like this tea, but it is certainly not my favorite Earl Grey. The black tea in it is quite solid, but it feels bland next to other brands.

Boring.

I love this tea – I drink pretty much only this brand/type of Earl Grey. I’ve tried others that call themselves Earl Grey and get no bergamot at all, just black tea. This has plenty of bergamot flavour/scent. Also, I can happily leave the bag in the entire time, as it doesn’t get too strong.

This is probably the first tea I ever bought on my own so it has that comfort flavour for me. Using up the last bag that someone sent me in the mail in a yarn/knitting swap as it is 3 a.m. and I just don’t feel like emptying and cleaning my pot and strainer for some loose leaf.

Not much to say about this tea that hasn’t been said before I’m sure. A basic black earl grey. My taste buds have changed since I have become more aware of tea over the years and I don’t have much bagged outside of restaurants but this is still enjoyable. Not overpowering with the citrus (though I hear they are changing that) and just the right amount of bergamot.

Usually made willy nilly. Pour water into cup, add bag and wander away. Remember tea and come back. Add some milk and a splash of sweetener for comfort if I have it around. Drink tea. Enjoy. Not much thought required.

Woke up in a terrible mood, hiding at my desk at work and keeping calm with this lovely lady. She’s the only thing keeping me from irritably snapping at boring co-workers, so she gets an extra-high rating this morning.

A fragrant Earl grey. A big cup of this tea was a great way to start my morning. Not weak, not bitter – just right for me. I think there might not be a lot of complexity to the flavor, but that’s ok by me.

Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Maybe not the worst tea bags you have ever tasted. Without doubt the best Earl Grey tea bags I’ve tried. It is wonderful, but it is not detestable. Here in Spain, is the best tea flavored with bergamot that can be purchased at any supermarket or mall. I continue to stand behind loose leaf tea, a good Darjeeling Earl Grey Second plantagentee.

Sorry for my bad English.

I prefer my Earl Grey to be light on the bergamont and so find this to be completely acceptable.

Today, I sweetened my cup with tupelo honey which brings out lovely citrus notes.

I don’t know about the others, but I think this is a decent tea. Just had it last night after a big party, and it definitely hit the spot. Prepared with a bit of milk and honey. Tasted good. Slight herbal accents which I enjoyed.

Having this tea at my parents place, since I have to stay over a couple nights to babysit my brother while they party in Vegas (not really, just get drunk and eat a lot of Bubba Gump shrimp. And while we’re on the topic, why don’t they have that in Canada, namely in Vancouver? If they had a location here, I’m 100% sure it would be insanely popular. Plus then it would mean I wouldn’t have to go on vacation to eat Bubba Gump ;_; )

I noticed this in the cupboard and decided I wanted to try it first, since we have the decaf version at home. Since my boyfriend and I found the decaf to be surprisingly heavy on the lemon/citrus, I wanted to compare with the regular version. Immediately after opening the packet I knew it was not the same. I mean, the lemon is still in there, but way more in the background, while the bergamot and the base black tea mix in more strongly. Quite nice tea, reminds me of a less citrusy Lady Grey. It’s smooth with bright flavours, and easy to drink.

I suppose the decaf versions might be really lemon flavoured because perhaps the decaffeination process causes the tea to lose a lot of flavour, and they add in more lemon it make up for it? Not sure why they wouldn’t opt for more bergamot too, considering it’s supposed to be an earl grey tea. I don’t know, but it’s quite interesting to note the large taste difference between the two versions of the same tea.

Actually, as I drink this one, it reminds me more and more of Lady Grey, albeit stronger In flavour but very similar. My lady grey obsession had recently died down somewhat, so I’m not going crazy over the similarities, but it still it an enjoyable, light and citrusy earl grey.

In other news, I got another Tea Sparrow box today! I’ve been on hold while I finish some of my stash so that it doesn’t get too out of hand, but yesterday I got it in the mail! I don’t know what it is about receiving mail, especially tea in the mail, but there is something profoundly exciting about it. I was delighted to see that I once again received Strawberry Mint from Herbal Republic, one I’ve been wanting to order but couldn’t justify the shipping price for one tea. I brought them all with to my parents’ place so that I can try them while I am here.